U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:40 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I know someone suggested collard greens, but they take some time to cook—especially with the stems. They aren't pleasant if undercooked or under seasoned. Spinach or green beans would be much easier. I would make a small ham. It seems elegant, yet is simple to make. Boil the salt away. Pick a recipe for glaze (Some recipes use sodas such as Dr. Pepper or coke, but I like brown sugar and mustard.) Then put it in a slow cooker for an hour per pound. Or if desired, try about 15-20 min. per pound in the oven at 325 degrees to the preferred internal temp. (Different brands vary between 140 and 160 degrees.) Mashed potatoes with butter would be good, also. Cornbread mix can be found in the supermarket and bakes easily. It's a first date:start simple. Save the other recipes for future dates (with more practice).
And collards take an awful amount of time washing, picking, and cutting out those really tough stems. If she has never made them before this is not the dish to make if she is trying to put her best foot forward.

OP, what did you decide to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:46 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,866,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!
Gumbo maybe?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:04 PM

553 posts, read 738,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
op, you sound like a wonderful person

simple stuff like cooking a man you like <
Do you have a good "Man" recipe?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.
If you're hoping for a little "bow chika bow wow" action, I'd suggest not going so heavy with the menu. A big plate of fried chicken, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and collards is going to make him want to settle down in front of the TV after dinner and shove his hand in his pants Al Bundy style. Not to mention the lingering heavy aroma of frying oil isn't terribly romantic.

I think something like a roast chicken, seasoned potatoes and fresh green beans might be a better way to go.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 PM

15,192 posts, read 16,044,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If you're hoping for a little "bow chika bow wow" action, I'd suggest not going so heavy with the menu. A big plate of fried chicken, mac & cheese, mashed potatoes and collards is going to make him want to settle down in front of the TV after dinner and shove his hand in his pants Al Bundy style. Not to mention the lingering heavy aroma of frying oil isn't terribly romantic.

I think something like a roast chicken, seasoned potatoes and fresh green beans might be a better way to go.
This^^^^. And much easier, too.

I'm a fairly adventurous cook but I've never fried chicken and probably never will. It's a bunch of work, a mess to clean up and easy to under- or overcook. A whole roasted chicken, roasted potatoes and steamed green beans should work out just fine.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:57 PM

28,411 posts, read 14,134,205 times
I'd go chicken fried chicken with cream gravy, mashed potatoes, broccoli rice casserole and Texas toast.

Yes, it will shorten his life by a few hours, but he will most likely be very appreciative.

I remember back when I could eat such foods without worry.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM

125 posts, read 121,180 times
Grill up some ribs, long and low. sauced or rubbed, some corn bread and some green beans and call it a day.

BTW, you are a good woman already, effort accounts more to men than most women would ever know.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,051,951 times
Hannah, My honest suggestion is that you should cook what you are best at for this meal as you want to impress this guy. Its really sweet of you to want to cook something he likes but remember, he if he likes something, he would have tasted it at least a 100 times before. To beat the best, its really hard. So, my suggestion is for you to cook something you are comfortable with.
That way, you can even plan an elaborate meal in short span of time vs the time it would take to cook an unfamiliar meal. Just my opinion.

The thought of cooking for a guy you like itself is so sweet that he is sure to appreciate the effort that has gone into it. Who knows, by the end of it, he may actually have a 'favorite dish', thanks to you.

Also, I tried fried chicken once or twice and honestly, both the times I didnt nail it, even with an instant meat thermometer to check for done-ness.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:40 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,361,487 times
Hamburger, fries, Beer

Old 07-02-2014, 03:45 PM

9,594 posts, read 9,427,321 times
I'll say it again: cooking well is an art as much as it is a skill. Those of us who cook don't always stop to think about the years it has taken to know how well a new recipe is going. My SO and I can each take a brand new recipe off Allrecipes.com or something like it and we can make instant substitutions for suggested ingredients that we either don't care for or don't have on hand. The first meal SO made for me was a Salmon fillet, done in the microwave! It really tastes much better than it sounds and is dead easy to do. And he won't drift off afterwards. There is nothing hotter than a woman saying to you that she has prepared a light fish meal for dinner, because she doesn't want you getting slouchy and sleepy before .... before its time to do so. FWIW.

H

P.S. Now that we share house we grill the Salmon. Fish is underrated as Soul Food. Even Catfish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or