U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 03:50 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,897,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll say it again: cooking well is an art as much as it is a skill. Those of us who cook don't always stop to think about the years it has taken to know how well a new recipe is going. My SO and I can each take a brand new recipe off Allrecipes.com or something like it and we can make instant substitutions for suggested ingredients that we either don't care for or don't have on hand. The first meal SO made for me was a Salmon fillet, done in the microwave! It really tastes much better than it sounds and is dead easy to do. And he won't drift off afterwards. There is nothing hotter than a woman saying to you that she has prepared a light fish meal for dinner, because she doesn't want you getting slouchy and sleepy before .... before its time to do so. FWIW.

H

P.S. Now that we share house we grill the Salmon. Fish is underrated as Soul Food. Even Catfish.
Wild caught catfish is, in my opinion, one of the most underappreciated fish meats. Blues, yellows, channel or even gafftop... All great. I'd never eat a hard head, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:12 PM

9,666 posts, read 7,638,989 times
See what your local farmers' market has available. Nothing like fresh fruit and vegetables! For a Southern flavor to your meal, try iced tea (let him sweeten it himself), sliced tomatoes, a tossed salad, "snapped" green beans cooked with ham hock or a couple of strips of bacon, boiled new (small, red) potatoes, corn bread or spoonbread (look for a mix - time-consuming otherwise) and perhaps a peach cobbler or peach-pecan pie (with vanilla ice cream) for dessert. Blackberries are also coming into season and are a sure-fire favorite of many.

As for the main dish (and I don't mean you. Or him), try mustard maple pecan pork chops (leave out the pecans in the pie if you choose this). Sounds and looks elaborate, but is really extremely simple to prepare, and is Southern. Or a ham slice, or grocery store fried chicken. A local discount grocery store has the best fried chicken in town, and you can buy it by the piece (if you go with by the piece, be sure to allow him at least two good-sized pieces). Perhaps there's something similar in your community.

Don't forget a pretty centerpiece - most farmers' markets have fresh flowers. Keep it simple and colorful. Use nice chinaware - not necessarily your best at this point, but things that match - and coordinate your tablecloth and napkins. Wear something simple but pretty - maybe a nice sundress and sandals. Do as much as you can ahead of time, and make it appear that fixing his dinner was a snap! And yes, do let him help with clearing the table, etc., but it's okay to postpone doing the dishes once the leftovers are put away. You may have other things to do...

Good luck!

Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
I think we made this just way too complicated -tho with good intentions

pick up a bucket of kfc fried chicken, then give him dessert, very simple!

the lady's that wanted to cook for me,,,made it wayyyy too complicated, got so upset things didn't turn out perfect, that it ruined dessert

looking back, id have been pleased with some pre-cooked chicken,,,, and looking forward to dessert...

Old 07-02-2014, 04:35 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Grill up some ribs, long and low. sauced or rubbed, some corn bread and some green beans and call it a day.
Sauced ... definitely sauced. It allows for lots of sexy finger licking opportunities.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:39 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Grill up some ribs, long and low. sauced or rubbed, some corn bread and some green beans and call it a day.

BTW, you are a good woman already, effort accounts more to men than most women would ever know.

well neil....how bout one of your songs in the back ground

baby tonight, baby tonight by the fire all alone you and i, nothing around but the song of your heart on my side .......

Old 07-02-2014, 06:05 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I think that might be illegal. Punctuation matters. :P

Sorry I just couldn't resist.

OP try doing oven fried chicken and for a side do some roasted corn on the cob and a good home made potato salad.
"cooking a man you like a meal" means cooking for a man you like.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:31 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I'll say it again: cooking well is an art as much as it is a skill. Those of us who cook don't always stop to think about the years it has taken to know how well a new recipe is going. My SO and I can each take a brand new recipe off Allrecipes.com or something like it and we can make instant substitutions for suggested ingredients that we either don't care for or don't have on hand. The first meal SO made for me was a Salmon fillet, done in the microwave! It really tastes much better than it sounds and is dead easy to do. And he won't drift off afterwards. There is nothing hotter than a woman saying to you that she has prepared a light fish meal for dinner, because she doesn't want you getting slouchy and sleepy before .... before its time to do so. FWIW.

H

P.S. Now that we share house we grill the Salmon. Fish is underrated as Soul Food. Even Catfish.
Ever have Maple-baked Salmon, marinated in syrup, soy sauce, garlic and ginger?
Holy Mary Mother of God, is it ever good!!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:45 PM

701 posts, read 887,513 times
If you're not into cooking already, or even if you are, I would hope he'll just appreciate the thought and effort, regardless of how the meal turns out. If he isn't, then he's probably not worth any future effort anyway. My girlfriend is just not really into cooking, so I do all of it, and she really appreciates it.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but : Chicken and Dumplings? I make this on a regular basis, and it's really easy and hard to mess up.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM

136 posts, read 166,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
If you're not into cooking already, or even if you are, I would hope he'll just appreciate the thought and effort, regardless of how the meal turns out. If he isn't, then he's probably not worth any future effort anyway. My girlfriend is just not really into cooking, so I do all of it, and she really appreciates it.

I don't know if anyone mentioned this already, but : Chicken and Dumplings? I make this on a regular basis, and it's really easy and hard to mess up.
Unless you have your heat up to high and scorch it!

Old 07-03-2014, 11:50 AM

9,594 posts, read 9,424,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Ever have Maple-baked Salmon, marinated in syrup, soy sauce, garlic and ginger?
Holy Mary Mother of God, is it ever good!!
Our standard fish marinade for grilling is melted Butter (1/3 stick), soy sauce (2TBS), lemon juice (1/4 C), garlic (clove or 1tsp) and black pepper (1tsp). This works for most fish but for Salmon we usually add ginger and marinade for longer. Maple syrup.... hmmm...

H
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or