Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 04:49 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
That's true. I forgot about that. How about a slow roasted chicken?
Ina's roast chicken is just the thing: Perfect Roast Chicken Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
you sound like a girl that wanted to cook for me many years ago- to please your man (bless your heart)

if you are in charge of planning the whole evening- here's a suggestion

before dinner is served, give him an "activities" menu for the evening, -just some ideas for him to pick- you make the list, be creative,

oh, one other thing,, if a lady is cooking, the food always tastes better when she cooks naked )

it also breaks the ice for that activity list

good luck

Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,277,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you sound like a girl that wanted to cook for me many years ago- to please your man (bless your heart)

if you are in charge of planning the whole evening- here's a suggestion

before dinner is served, give him an "activities" menu for the evening, -just some ideas for him to pick- you make the list, be creative,

oh, one other thing,, if a lady is cooking, the food always tastes better when she cooks naked )

it also breaks the ice for that activity list

good luck
So...capris are out?

Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,591,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Beer can chicken. Easy, delicious. Winner, winner.
I've never had beer can chicken, it sounds good though!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,930,366 times
Why not just ask him to cook with you. If you don't know southern cooking just tell him you would like to learn. Go buy ingredients together and prepare the meal together. Southern cooking isn't something to play with especially fried chicken (yard bird).

He will appreciate the effort your putting forth to learn. Another option is to go to yelp and search on soul food restaurants in LV and test out some dishes.

http://m.yelp.com/search?find_desc=s...psize=963%2C41

Just be careful if you plan on having desert (wink, wink) soul food has been known to put people to sleep.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 PM

50,014 posts, read 63,347,416 times
I am an experienced cook, but I don't make fried chicken. Its too messy and difficult to get right. Buy the fried chicken at Publix, and warm it in the oven before serving, make the mac and cheese from scratch and put a little bacon in the green beans. Some corn bread and butter would be good, too.
Make some shortcakes and have fresh strawberry shortcake and real whipped cream (no Cool Whip).

Things to make ahead: Make the biscuits for shortcake and the corn muffins ahead and freeze them.
Cut up the strawberries and add sugar early that day for the shortcake.
Make the mac and cheese a few hours ahead and just pop it in the oven an hour before you want to serve it.
all you need to do just before dinner are the beans and whip the cream for dessert.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,274,037 times
Is this southern guy sophisticated?

Why is everybody assuming the guy is a simpleton?

Fried chicken and Mac and Cheese sounds like a kids meal.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:13 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,383,336 times
It took awhile for me to learn how to fry chicken. It sounds easy, but there's a little more to it. If there is a way to practice, it will help.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,383,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
This, times a million.

What's something you know you make well? Have that and a vegetable and a salad. And a dessert you can assemble like brownies, ice cream and chocolate sauce. It takes practice to make really good fried chicken.

Mashed potatoes are easy. I cut up new red potatoes, cook them in (very) salted boiling water until a sharp knife goes through the potato pieces, drain them, then mash them with as many of the following as you like:

butter
cream (or milk, or half-and-half)
grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (the most impressive)
sour cream (I don't use this if I use Parm.)

And make sure you use enough salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Black pepper out of a shaker is fine. Most people don't know the difference between freshly ground or not and too much salt is worse than not enough. More can always be added by the person eating it.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:31 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,828,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Black pepper out of a shaker is fine. Most people don't know the difference between freshly ground or not
While this may be the case chez Rubi, I don't think it is a universal truth. I've never done a blind tasting or anything, but I don't like pepper out of a shaker very much, whereas I love it freshly-ground. They seem like different substances to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
and too much salt is worse than not enough. More can always be added by the person eating it.
Again, what is true for you is true for you. I prefer to put salt in my food, not on my food. It definitely tastes better. And nowhere did I tell anyone to put "too much salt" in anything.

You're awfully judgmental and, frankly, wrong, about seasoning food.

Last edited by jay5835; 07-01-2014 at 07:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink