U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 4,213 times

Advertisements

There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:09 PM

136 posts, read 166,479 times
Fried chicken, mac n cheese and green beans sounds good to me!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:14 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,386,453 times
op, you sound like a wonderful person

simple stuff like cooking a man you like a meal is a lost art

even if it doesnt turn out that great tastewise it's the fact that you went thru the trouble

_____

Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM

114,038 posts, read 52,394,168 times
Remember cooking is just a plus. He might like cooking himself down the road if not now. Buy a good recommended cookbook on Southern cooking or check Allrecipes or Food Network online. Good luck. Try something fairly foolproof for first time.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,157,417 times
Be sure to soak that chicken in buttermilk before frying. Why not a simple potato salad and cole slaw? You could try to make a dessert but it sounds like you haven't spent a lot of time in the kitchen.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:41 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,818,259 times
take him to Cracker Barrel and see what he likes.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:42 PM

5,627 posts, read 4,642,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_TX View Post
op, you sound like a wonderful person

simple stuff like cooking a man you like a meal is a lost art

even if it doesnt turn out that great tastewise it's the fact that you went thru the trouble

_____
Amen to this!

Old 07-01-2014, 12:44 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,842,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
There's a guy I'm crushing on and apparently he loves southern food. I want to impress him with a really good meal but I wasn't sure what to make so I thought I might ask here.

I know for sure he likes fried chicken, so I was gonna make that. I have been googling recipes and looking on Pinterest but I can't decide on anything. I just need a REALLY great recipe that I could make and would impress him.

Also, I need help planning the meal. I was going to do mashed potatoes with it but I'm not sure. I just really like him and want to make him a meal that he'll really love.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know =) Thanks!

What you cook should depend on your cooking experience.
If you have never made fried chicken before I would not start with that dish.
It can be tricky sometimes for those without much experience (like me).

You might consider grilling a steak with Cajun spices, garlic mashed potatoes or plain mashed potatoes with butter and pepper, then you can make an easy pan gravy and a vegetable with rolls and butter then a simple dessert like Jello and whipped cream or a Root Beer Float or Pudding.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:56 PM

7,214 posts, read 4,647,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetyluvzme View Post
Fried chicken, mac n cheese and green beans sounds good to me!
I was going to suggest the same thing, you can never go wrong with the mac n cheese and fried chicken. If you get those two right, then you have done your job.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:37 PM

6,056 posts, read 7,962,938 times
I cook a lot and I've never tried to make fried chicken. If you want classic comfort food what about pot roast? I've made that meal for guys before and they went crazy for it. And it's SO easy. It's impossible to screw up. I do mine in the crock pot. Get a nice roast, fill the crock pot up with water enough to cover everything, then chop up some carrots and potatoes and put in a packet of onion seasoning mix. Let it cook all day and voila! He won't know how easy it was, but it tastes like it took you all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or