U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 01:13 PM

36,437 posts, read 41,708,966 times

Advertisements

We've talked about how expensive spices are and how to buy them at ethnic markets. I think most of these are bought on impulse and to save time. Making separate trips to the party store, the hallmark store and florist for 1 party takes a lot of time. I like to have different salad dressings cause we all like something different but they really are full of calories and sodium. I'm going to slowly get my family used to homemade fresher salad dressings.

What are some other things which are sold at the grocery store but you know you can get cheaper some place else?
10 things not to buy at the grocery store - CBS News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM

35,823 posts, read 39,447,126 times
I really try to avoid buying most drug store type products in a grocery store. Also pet food. The markup on those sundries is terrible at most grocery stores I've been to.

I don't buy salad dressing at all unless it's the dry powdered Hidden Valley Ranch mix for a recipe. We make our own at home with oil, balsamic vinegars, spices, lemon and lime juice, etc.

I will dispute the "arranged flowers" tip in one circumstance. Trader Joe's is the place to go for inexpensive flowers for my dining room table that last and last. Their arrangements with the very-long lasting alstroemeria blossoms are the least expensive of their offerings, and can last a couple of weeks if the water is kept fresh.

But I wouldn't get flowers at the majority of grocery stores, no.

Old 07-01-2014, 01:51 PM

8,613 posts, read 7,828,792 times
I like store salad dressing, so I'll buy it.

I get gas discount points if I buy gift cards there.
Same for greeting cards.

I never buy expensive spices.

Gas points for flowers, but I rarely buy them.

Dollar store for party stuff.

If I had kids their lunches would be homemade.

Dollar store for batteries, when DH complained and I bought them at the grocery store they were all dead, they don't turn them over enough.

DH will not part with his bottled water, so I get the gas points for it.

Don't need diapers, thankfully.

What kills me is that there needs to be articles published like this, that people don't know this stuff.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,459,106 times
I never bother with store-bought dressings; it's just so easy and inexpensive (and generally healthier) to just make something yourself on the spot. I'm usually happy with a simple vinaigrette (or variation of that) anyhow.

Herbs/spices (dried ones, that is) are mentioned in the OP- it's worth noting that in many stores you can find these in the bulk section at considerable savings. Also, in-jar dries herbs and spices at Trader Joe's are a great deal.

Old 07-01-2014, 02:40 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,547,098 times
This article has me running all over town. No thanks. I may pay a little more at the grocery store, but it's worth in terms of time and gas saved.

And the bit on gift cards made me laugh. I just bought a Visa gift card yesterday. Somehow I don't think my 15 year old nephew would have appreciated a grocery store gift card.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:02 PM

2,321 posts, read 2,366,486 times
Cleaning products are MUCH cheaper at a janitorial supply store -- just watch the labels so you know what you are buying.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:03 PM

3,224 posts, read 2,700,300 times
Hmmm... spices, definitely and tea!

Old 07-01-2014, 06:33 PM

2,456 posts, read 2,444,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
This article has me running all over town. No thanks. I may pay a little more at the grocery store, but it's worth in terms of time and gas saved.

And the bit on gift cards made me laugh. I just bought a Visa gift card yesterday. Somehow I don't think my 15 year old nephew would have appreciated a grocery store gift card.
I agree that I'd rather pay a little more for the convenience of shopping in one place. Our grocery stores carry gift cards for every major retailer in town and many restaurants too. I love that! Saves me a trip to that particular business and we often get double gas points on gift cards.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:43 PM

18,077 posts, read 17,208,003 times
I found that our local garden center has really nice greeting cards, cheap. When I find a place that has beautiful cards, I stick to that place, not a grocery store or even a drug store.

Don't know what they mean by lunchables.

Agree with everything else--I do go running all over town but I stock up when I do. I don't go running to all those separate stores each time I need something. Get it all at once.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM

4,118 posts, read 3,402,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I agree that I'd rather pay a little more for the convenience of shopping in one place. Our grocery stores carry gift cards for every major retailer in town and many restaurants too. I love that! Saves me a trip to that particular business and we often get double gas points on gift cards.
I agree as well, but I have to offer a disclaimer here; and I don't know how they do it (competitively speaking) but I have three major grocery stores plus a Costco within a quarter of a mile of each other. Literally, if I didn't have the concern of carrying (or lugging a shopping cart around in winter snow/summer heat) the groceries, I could walk to each of them.

I will say that if I just need a couple of things, I will walk to the closest one and get what I need; I only have to restrain myself and not go overboard with things I've 'forgotten' or might need sooner rather than later. You know...you go to the store for the gallon of milk and then leave with everything except the gallon of milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink