U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2014, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
Reputation: 5162

Advertisements

Baked the cake:




I have to make the icing tomorrow. I hope my image fits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2014, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
Reputation: 5162
Happy birthday to me! Here is the cake:





It's so humid here today... the icing wasn't sticking to well. I guess not bad for a first attempt.







Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:35 AM
 
9,265 posts, read 7,284,180 times
Reputation: 22729
Not bad for a first try. I think you used the wrong type of icing. The tube icing isn't made for major decorating. You would need a buttercream type icing. It's thick and made for decorating. It will allow you to spread it on thick and will get hard when you freeze it.

Cake decorating is fun. If you're keen, look for a Wilton cake decorating class in your area. They're pretty cheap and it will give you a good foundation.

Also, check out the site and forums at Cake Central - The world's largest online cake decorating community.. Amateur to pro level cake decorators hang out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 11:52 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Reputation: 25110
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not bad for a first try. I think you used the wrong type of icing. The tube icing isn't made for major decorating. You would need a buttercream type icing. It's thick and made for decorating. It will allow you to spread it on thick and will get hard when you freeze it.

Cake decorating is fun. If you're keen, look for a Wilton cake decorating class in your area. They're pretty cheap and it will give you a good foundation.

Also, check out the site and forums at Cake Central - The world's largest online cake decorating community.. Amateur to pro level cake decorators hang out there.
Those tubes are made for decorating...I think they even still sell tips that screw onto the tubes.

It was a pretty complicated design for a frozen buttercream transfer and for a first attempt. I think it came out quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:50 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
Reputation: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Those tubes are made for decorating...I think they even still sell tips that screw onto the tubes.

It was a pretty complicated design for a frozen buttercream transfer and for a first attempt. I think it came out quite well.
Thanks Hedgehog_Mom and Charlygal. Yeah, next time I want to make my own (I prefer homemade... I did make the icing for the whole cake) and I know next time to reverse the image and print smaller! It was a lot of fun and Monoxide tweeted me... he loved the cake. Let me post the tweet.



This made me smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 12:59 PM
 
Location: The analog world
15,565 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Reputation: 20867
Nice job! I wouldn't have the courage to even attempt something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
Reputation: 5162
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Nice job! I wouldn't have the courage to even attempt something like that.
I usually buy a cake, but since I am moving come September, I wanted to save money. I love baking and decorating, so I thought why not. Thank you. I'm now making collard greens for my birthday dinner. Mom is BBQ-ing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2014, 09:06 PM
 
Location: Candy Kingdom
3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
Reputation: 5162






Good day! We'll have the cake tomorrow. I put it in the freezer this morning since it was humid and there was no room in the fridge... so it's finally thawed but everyone went to bed.

But here was dinner. I made collard greens, mom smoked some ribs and chicken:



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top