U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:54 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,178,632 times

Advertisements

I was never much of a spicy food lover anyway, so when I developed an allergic reaction to the preservative in the jarred spices and all processed food products I gave them up entirely. I just use a little salt.

I can't eat onions or garlic either. I'm so used to eating without spices and I don't miss them at all.

I do use organic applesauce or the organic baby food jar peaches, pears, whatever to baste my chicken with if I'm cooking chicken cutlets and then dip them in unflavored bread crumbs. But whole chickens I just cook the way they are and I make gravy with the broth and add a little salt.

and my family drives me nuts because they love the pizza I make from scratch and want to eat it. The sauce just consists of strained tomatoes and a little salt and a tiny bit of sugar.

Steaks....mmm, they don't need anything added except for maybe a nice hot baked potato.

Once you give up spices, foods that have spices taste terrible. I had a cheezit the other day and ugh, I wonder how people can eat those things, and I used to love them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:10 AM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times
When I think of seasoning food, it's about getting the right balance between the food and salt, first, and then pepper. Things like chili powder and curry powder aren't so much spices IMO as essential ingredients in whatever dish I'm making with them. Fresh herbs are yet another essential component in a lot of things. I like basil most, then dill and rosemary. While I prefer them fresh, I'm happy with dried thyme and rosemary. I never use things like garlic powder or onion powder unless I'm making a rub. I don't like oregano or marjoram, fresh or dried. I hate the taste of dried basil in food with every fiber of my being.

I don't know that this necessarily answers your question. I could make meals with just salt and pepper, but why would I want to?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:20 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Once you give up spices, foods that have spices taste terrible. I had a cheezit the other day and ugh, I wonder how people can eat those things, and I used to love them.
Cheezit's are processed junk and the only spice is salt.
I can't imagine cooking without spices and there are many health benefits in using them.
I've reduced my salt intake and when I do try something that has too much salt, it burns my mouth.
Spices are part of mankind's history and were so valued they were once used as a form of currency.

History of Spices: The Lure and Lore of Spices

Health benefits of spices:
Healthy Herbs: 25 Of The Best For Your Body

Spices & Herbs Health Benefits and Adding Spices to Foods

Old 07-02-2014, 12:21 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
...Once you give up spices, foods that have spices taste terrible...
That sounds like a recipe for some exciting meals.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:38 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,178,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That sounds like a recipe for some exciting meals.
I assume you're being facetious.

It's what I'm used to.

It's like when people give up sugar, or cut down on sugar they'll find that cakes or cake icing tastes too sweet and they can't eat them. Same thing.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:48 PM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
I just added my veggies to the pot roast for this evening and what did I also add? parsley, rosemary, basil and garlic, all in cheese cloth so I can remove the spices when dinner is ready. I think our preferences are determined based on childhood, how much good food means to us, whether we like the gourmet and unusual foods or just plain old country cooking and how many spices and herbs we have actually been willing to try. Some people do not experiment with foods, they stay with what they know, others want to try new trends. For those who do not like spices they could not really enjoy most ethnic foods. I cant think of a single ethnic food other than American, and maybe German that isn't enhanced with spices.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:51 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,897,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Just curious. e.g. anyone has used only salt for cooking for many years? or not even salt? or maybe just salt and pepper?

How nice it would be to be able to make tasty meals with minimum flavoring ingredients. I just threw away many bottles of spices that were bought 2-3 years ago but hardly used because it's unlikely I'll ever use them. Mind you, they were not cheap.
The only dry spices I keep are kosher salt, black pepper, dried thyme, cinnamon, paprika, cumin, garlic powder and chili powder.

The only ones that I use with any frequency are salt, pepper and thyme.

Old 07-02-2014, 01:08 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
...The only ones that I use with any frequency are salt, pepper and thyme.
Many a dish has been ruined by dried thyme - it tastes like diesel fuel. I use lots of thyme, but it has to be fresh thyme - and it's available all year.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 07-02-2014 at 01:57 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM

5,164 posts, read 2,994,994 times
I come from a Scandinavian background and traditionally their food was very bland. When I was growing up a can of spaghetti and a boxed pizza were considered exotic and spicy. Over the years I've learned to cook with a range of spices and herbs. But sometimes I just like plain old comfort food, too.

My MIL is first-generation Norwegian-American and the only spices I ever saw her cook with were garlic salt and chili powder. For baking she used cinnamon and nutmeg. I think that's it other than salt and pepper, of course.

Her cooking was simple farm food but very good.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:38 PM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just added my veggies to the pot roast for this evening and what did I also add? parsley, rosemary, basil and garlic, all in cheese cloth so I can remove the spices when dinner is ready. I think our preferences are determined based on childhood, how much good food means to us, whether we like the gourmet and unusual foods or just plain old country cooking and how many spices and herbs we have actually been willing to try. Some people do not experiment with foods, they stay with what they know, others want to try new trends. For those who do not like spices they could not really enjoy most ethnic foods. I cant think of a single ethnic food other than American, and maybe German that isn't enhanced with spices.
German food does use many herbs and spices. Dill, Carraway, Juniper, Borage, Marjoram, Estragon, Thyme, Chives, Lovage, Anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, etc. Many dishes would taste very strange without the characteristic seasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink