U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:46 PM

1,176 posts, read 1,911,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Many a dish has been ruined by dried thyme - it tastes like diesel fuel. I use lots of thyme, but it has to be fresh thyme - and it's available all year.
I've got a giant pile of fresh thyme outside that is almost exclusively what I use, but I don't think it works as well in dry rubs for slow cooking. When I wrote the previous comment, I considered clarifying that most of the thyme that I use comes from the giant wilderness of thyme and oregano growing a few steps outside my front door, but thought it would be cumbersome.

I will say, however, that when my thyme flowers the flavor profile changes. Not necessarily in a bad way, but it's noticeably different... "Hoppier", if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:53 PM

9,395 posts, read 7,393,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Just curious. e.g. anyone has used only salt for cooking for many years? or not even salt? or maybe just salt and pepper?

How nice it would be to be able to make tasty meals with minimum flavoring ingredients. I just threw away many bottles of spices that were bought 2-3 years ago but hardly used because it's unlikely I'll ever use them. Mind you, they were not cheap.
Why do you have a problem with spices? They are natural flavor ingredients usually made from plants, seeds, nuts, etc. I don't see the problem.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:15 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,595,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
German food does use many herbs and spices. Dill, Carraway, Juniper, Borage, Marjoram, Estragon, Thyme, Chives, Lovage, Anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, etc. Many dishes would taste very strange without the characteristic seasoning.
Mmmm. Tasty. Eastern European foods use dill, chives, garlic, paprika, cinnamon, poppy seeds, bay leaves,
nutmeg, parsley, marjoram, caraway, oregano, thyme and more garlic. Then there are other wonderful
flavors in Middle Eastern, Ethiopian, Morrocan, Turkish, Indian, Spain, French, various Asian.....in other words, the world.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:45 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,230,710 times
I use lots of spices. I'll even sprinkle spices on mac-n-cheese. I can live without them, but why would I when I can have them?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:12 PM

4,358 posts, read 2,637,943 times
Well, most spices should have a minimum shelf life of one year. Even if you're just a casual cook, you should still get good value out of that and low wastage. I do not cook much, but I've got some "Everything spice" I got at Trader Joe's which includes salt, pepper, lemon something, paprika, and bunch of other things. I'm not that particular about ground beef requiring one type vs. eggs another.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:18 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,230,710 times
Whole spices, at least a year. Ground spices are not as good after a year.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 PM

8,240 posts, read 7,541,227 times
Why would anyone volunteer to give up herbs and spices?

Why?

I can't imagine my potato salad without fresh dill, Mexican food without cilantro, French fries without salt, etc.

You need salt to bring the flavor out of fat (sea salt not iodized).

Old 07-02-2014, 09:46 PM

6,319 posts, read 5,401,560 times
The secret to my delicious fried rice?

Pepper, white.

No other flavouring apart from soy sauce.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:54 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,355,027 times
Spices are outrageously expensive these days - I eyed the prices today while shopping.
Sure, one could get by with just salt and pepper but there is a whole other world for your tastebuds to explore with the use of spices. I use spices all the time and have a ready supply of herbs that I grow year-round: parsley, cilantro, oregano and basil.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:57 PM

4,424 posts, read 4,917,846 times
I see animals eating grass and other stuffs without any spices and they seem to enjoy every meal

Maybe if you bring up your pet dog or cat feeding them with spiced food then they will complain when given food with no spice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink