U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:12 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,228,110 times

Advertisements

Cook with or without spices, as you wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:22 PM

29,634 posts, read 31,986,238 times
I don't use a ton of different spices since I don't cook as much as I used to and prefer going out for various ethnic foods. But what I do make I spice!

Old 07-02-2014, 11:37 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,999,000 times
If you get tasty enough fruits and vegetables, then a lot of spice and herbs can be left out. However, so many commercial fruits and vegetables are now grown for their looks or storage time and not their flavors. So, herbs and spices have to fill in for the poor variety as well as the poor growing conditions.

If you want to get inexpensive spices, find a health food store that sells bulk herbs and spices. I replace my entire spice rack usually about once a year so they are all fresh. When you're getting the spices out of the bulk jars, then it is inexpensive enough. Not to mention the herb garden and the lemon tree. Those provide flavoring without spending money.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 AM

2,456 posts, read 2,446,904 times
My mother used only salt and pepper when we were growing up - oh, and a little paprika for devilled eggs. We kids had cinnamon for our toast. It took me years to advance to using dill, cilantro, celery seed, and the like. I still don't care for some of the more common spices like basil and rosemary. Our little historic downtown has two - count them - two, spice shops. the concept mystifies me.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:41 AM

190 posts, read 144,021 times
Grow your own spices. A tiny little garden can supply enough spice to last all year. You can save a bundle and get spoiled by fresh spices and what they impart to food.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:36 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,168,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
The secret to my delicious fried rice?...
The secret to my delicious fried rice is homemade Char Siu Pork and scrambled eggs - and adding authentic wok hei.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:46 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,656,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I see animals eating grass and other stuffs without any spices and they seem to enjoy every meal

Maybe if you bring up your pet dog or cat feeding them with spiced food then they will complain when given food with no spice
We are 2 legged animals, not 4 legged. I have seen many babies eat jalapenos either, but many adults love them. Is there a reason you think have an issue with those who do enjoy spices? I am not sure what this is all about. I originally thought you were just curious to know if most use spices, now it appears you have a problem with spices???

Old 07-03-2014, 05:48 AM

9,325 posts, read 7,339,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I see animals eating grass and other stuffs without any spices and they seem to enjoy every meal

Maybe if you bring up your pet dog or cat feeding them with spiced food then they will complain when given food with no spice
Animals eat purely for sustenance. Fortunately, we humans have the ability to enjoy our food for sustenance and for pleasure.

You don't have to eat spices but your "argument" doesn't hold water. Enjoy your bland food.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 AM

69,422 posts, read 79,656,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
German food does use many herbs and spices. Dill, Carraway, Juniper, Borage, Marjoram, Estragon, Thyme, Chives, Lovage, Anise, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Ginger, Cloves, etc. Many dishes would taste very strange without the characteristic seasoning.
I stand corrected: I am not one who often eats German food; I guess I was thinking Indian, Asian, Italian, French, Mexican, Cuban, etc. For some reason I don't think about countries like Germany as big uses of spices. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:28 AM

2,442 posts, read 1,803,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devans0 View Post
Grow your own spices. A tiny little garden can supply enough spice to last all year. You can save a bundle and get spoiled by fresh spices and what they impart to food.
Most spices can't be grown in a smallish temperate garden. You could dry and grind paprika, coriander seeds, cumin, fennel seeds, caraway, anise, bay. Pretty much all other spices are tropical plants, which is why the spice trade went from tropical to temperate regions.

The problem in a modern kitchen is that you're cooking food from a dozen different cultures which all have their characteristic seasonings. If we ate Italian every night we'd only need a half a dozen herbs. Or mexican every night a couple of herbs and a few spices. Even Indian food uses the same half a dozen or so spices over and over again. But I cook Mexican, Italian and Indian three days in a row, and only the cumin and parsley overlap. That's how you end up with fifty different seasonings, and that's even without pre-mixing any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink