U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 12:16 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,549,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
RRAH: Yes, trying to be very careful NOT to ignore their request. A non-nut pesto brought in a nice jar with ribbon will definitely look like a gift for future use.

Re: pesto without nuts. I've found a few recipes that substitute sunflower seeds for the nuts, which would IMO help keep the consistency on target. Anyone have any experience with that substitution?? Can I substitute 1:1 the seeds for the nuts, and use my own tried and true pesto recipe??
I've made pesto with tahini when I had no pine nuts.
It came out really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,176,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bring over some venison, always a good choice

this has worked for me for 30 yrs, with new neighbors,,,
if you don't have venison, bring over some slightly undercooked chocolate chip cookies
You would be my favorite neighbor!

Old 07-03-2014, 01:12 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,555,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
if you bring any food they are going to feel obligated to set it out and offer to all the guests at the party. don't bring anything. maybe drop off something a day or two later with a thank you note.
My suspicion is that the OP (like myself and others) was raised to NEVER show up to someone's home empty handed. I would feel horribly rude to show up without some sort of gift to thank them for their hospitality.

I like the idea of pesto, jams, jarred cookie/pancake/brownie/scone mixes ... something that is clearly not intended to be served that evening.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,166,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Would you mind to share your waffle recipe with me? Thank you.
This is the recipe that I use. I have a griddle and even my daughter who was a 10yo at the time could make them. Very easy recipe and very good.

Old Fashioned Homemade Pancakes | Pocket Change Gourmet

I made it in large batches and she knew just what to add to them.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:30 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,043,462 times
I agree with those who say to just show up as requested with your own drinks and plan to drop off a gift in the next day or two. This will give you a chance to see what kind of foods they like and what they seem to avoid by what they have set out, and you can make sure it's something they will likely enjoy, and not have to share!

Old 07-03-2014, 03:58 PM

464 posts, read 500,578 times
Here's what my husband suggests:

We know they drink beer. Since the invitation was BYOB, we'll bring a dozen 'select' brews. There's an upscale market nearby that lets you 'build' your own six-packs from single bottles of micro and imported breweries.

We'll pay attention to what they serve, food they talk about, what their kids seem to eat, etc. and I'll whip up something appropriate and take it over to them within a few days after their party.

Thanks for all the suggestions about specific food ideas, flowers, and how to handle the 'don't bring anything' issue!

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,204,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
if you bring any food they are going to feel obligated to set it out and offer to all the guests at the party. don't bring anything. maybe drop off something a day or two later with a thank you note.
This. When I ask people not to bring anything to a dinner, it's because I really don't want to deal with anything other than my menu at that moment. This runs the gamut from flowers to a well-intended batch of pesto (my favorite among the suggestions given here). But a couple of days later? Yes, indeed.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:05 PM

16,864 posts, read 20,706,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
NoMoreSnow:

I have a ton of fresh basil in my yard right now. Do you have a proven recipe for 'nutless' pesto....I'm thinking it won't have the right consistency w/o the nuts.
I am not a great cook, and I'm bad about using recipes lol! BUT, I make it all the time without nuts. I just grab some fresh basil (I actually have some growing indoors right now) and add olive oil or avocado oil and some grated parmesan cheese. Then I just blend it up.

I bet you could find a nutless recipe online, though.

I've got a ton of pistachios that I got for free last winter, that need to be hulled. My mission is to make pesto for Christmas presents with the pistachios. But, right now I'm too lazy to crack them open (and plus, I want to save them for my Christmas presents), so I've just been throwing basil and parmesan cheese and avocado oil into the blender. Sometimes I throw in some garlic. And honestly, I don't even notice the lack of nuts.

You could set the blender to just quickly grind the pesto, so the basil and parmesan cheese is cut chunkier. I tend to blend mine to a paste, but mainly because, like I said, I'm not a great cook lol! But, it still tastes good to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink