Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

Homemade pesto. You can make it without nuts. Basil is fresh everywhere right now. Who don't like pesto?

Because they asked you not to bring anything, I'm just wondering if they're picky about food. If you take something junk-food-ish or sugary, they may just toss it after a fight with the kids :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
I understand wanting to come up with a new idea but really I think people like cookies. You could do a couple kinds or cookies and brownies.
Something I also have given is gourmet popcorn.
Another idea if you just want to give a thank you gift is flowers.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 AM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
NoMoreSnow:

I have a ton of fresh basil in my yard right now. Do you have a proven recipe for 'nutless' pesto....I'm thinking it won't have the right consistency w/o the nuts.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I think that they've asked you not to bring any food for the meal so you need to exercise some care so that it's not seen as ignoring their request. I think any kind of dessert or snack item could be misunderstood as ignoring the request. I would try to bring something that is associated with breakfast. Maybe a basket of homemade muffins or scones would work. You also might search online for recipes for some type of freezer jam depending what types of fruit are in season in Florida right now. Freezer jams can be made fairly quickly.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:00 AM

464 posts, read 645,494 times
RRAH: Yes, trying to be very careful NOT to ignore their request. A non-nut pesto brought in a nice jar with ribbon will definitely look like a gift for future use.

Re: pesto without nuts. I've found a few recipes that substitute sunflower seeds for the nuts, which would IMO help keep the consistency on target. Anyone have any experience with that substitution?? Can I substitute 1:1 the seeds for the nuts, and use my own tried and true pesto recipe??

Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
Do you have a proven recipe for 'nutless' pesto....I'm thinking it won't have the right consistency w/o the nuts.
Substitute drained canned garbanzo beans. An old trick, much less expensive and you won't notice any difference in taste or texture from the classic recipe. Be sure to use really good olive oil - don't skimp on that. Can't give you a recipe as I'm a "handful of this handful of that" cook but pesto is easily churned up in a good processor so taste as you whirl and adjust accordingly.

PS: If you make up a big batch it freezes beautifully so you can enjoy it year round even when your basil is out of season.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:10 AM

245 posts, read 291,764 times
if you bring any food they are going to feel obligated to set it out and offer to all the guests at the party. don't bring anything. maybe drop off something a day or two later with a thank you note.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:42 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
I would get some fresh cut seasonal flowers in red white & blue, and arrange them in a tall clear vase as a gift.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:14 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
How about a homemade waffle/pancake mixture in a jar with the instructions written on a label on the jar or on an index card? You could even include the entire recipe so that the family can enjoy this whenever they'd like it?

I have a tried and true recipe. Let me know if you want it. You premix the dry ingredients and then add the wet.

You could also do the summer sausage, cheese, cracker, and jam package. I have always loved those though I don't think they get the respect that they deserve.
Would you mind to share your waffle recipe with me? Thank you.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:15 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br1n View Post
if you bring any food they are going to feel obligated to set it out and offer to all the guests at the party. don't bring anything. maybe drop off something a day or two later with a thank you note.
I like your idea. Gifts made with lots of care blend in during such an event. Plus this gives OP a chance to chat with the host and get some information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink