Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 12:42 PM

464 posts, read 645,585 times

Advertisements

We're the new kids on the block and have been invited to a 4th of July party by neighbors. It's not a typical potluck or cookout; they are making a specific meal and have asked us not bring any part of the meal, other than BYOB. I have entertained a lot in the past so I 'get' that sometimes you just don't want other offerings when you have a meal plan set in stone.

However, we appreciate the invitation and would like to bring a homemade food item that is obviously for the host family for later (i.e., not intended as part of this meal).

We don't know these people (and they have kids). My usual go-to hostess food gifts are of the chocolate persuasion (truffles, bark), but it's just too hot in Central Florida right now to cart chocolates around. I thought about spiced nuts, but they have 2 young kids and it seems to me (based on other young families we know) there are lots of kids with nut allergies, so I'm passing on nuts.

I thought about homemade cookies, wrapping them in cellophane or putting in a jar, but that seems mundane???

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Chocolate truffles? You can be my dinner guest anytime!

How about a summer fruit centerpiece for them to eat later?

Or a frozen fruit dessert salad.

Or check online for no bake simple snack ideas and clever ways to package them.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:21 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
bring over some venison, always a good choice

this has worked for me for 30 yrs, with new neighbors,,,
if you don't have venison, bring over some slightly undercooked chocolate chip cookies

Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
How about a homemade bread that they can enjoy for breakfast??

Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
I was thinking a nice homemade (nut-free) granola would be a good gift

Old 07-02-2014, 07:32 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
You could do one of those layered cookie mixes in a jar that are so popular around Christmastime. All they have to do is add the wet ingredients, mix and bake.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:33 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfporter View Post
We're the new kids on the block and have been invited to a 4th of July party by neighbors. It's not a typical potluck or cookout; they are making a specific meal and have asked us not bring any part of the meal, other than BYOB. I have entertained a lot in the past so I 'get' that sometimes you just don't want other offerings when you have a meal plan set in stone.

However, we appreciate the invitation and would like to bring a homemade food item that is obviously for the host family for later (i.e., not intended as part of this meal).

We don't know these people (and they have kids). My usual go-to hostess food gifts are of the chocolate persuasion (truffles, bark), but it's just too hot in Central Florida right now to cart chocolates around. I thought about spiced nuts, but they have 2 young kids and it seems to me (based on other young families we know) there are lots of kids with nut allergies, so I'm passing on nuts.

I thought about homemade cookies, wrapping them in cellophane or putting in a jar, but that seems mundane???

Any ideas would be appreciated!
How about an Angel Food Cake with fresh strawberries and blueberries dropped in the center?

Old 07-02-2014, 08:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How about a homemade bread that they can enjoy for breakfast??
Home-made quick bread for the morning after the party sounds like a great idea.

Last edited by randomparent; 07-02-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-02-2014, 08:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Some home-made jam might be nice.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:28 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
How about a homemade waffle/pancake mixture in a jar with the instructions written on a label on the jar or on an index card? You could even include the entire recipe so that the family can enjoy this whenever they'd like it?

I have a tried and true recipe. Let me know if you want it. You premix the dry ingredients and then add the wet.

You could also do the summer sausage, cheese, cracker, and jam package. I have always loved those though I don't think they get the respect that they deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink