U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 07:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,226,686 times

Advertisements

I just eat less beef, only once in a while, and when I do get some it's pretty good. I'm eating more beans and rice and veges these days. The good thing is that at my age (and anyone's age) it's better to not eat too much meat anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:30 PM

9,316 posts, read 17,965,901 times
We get beef when some friends send in one of their cattle for processing. If we pick it up when they get it back from the slaughterhouse, we get really good prices since their freezer won't hold it all.

Pork is trapped feral pigs and so no cost other than a bit of work to put it in the freezer. Chicken is all unwanted roosters that people just give to us, so again, no cost. Rabbit is another inexpensive grow-it-yourself type of meat. There's lots of ways of getting meat other than going to a grocery store and paying retail.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:43 PM

6,724 posts, read 11,753,874 times
I like steak and still have it once a week or so. But I have to say, I am still stunned that I can usually get boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 a pound but plain old ground beef is usually twice that.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:59 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,815,250 times
I usually only eat hamburger when it's on sale, subdivide most of it and freeze.

Sometimes when roasts are cheap, I'll make one, medium rare ..... one thick slice for a steak when it's still hot, and the rest get refrigerated and sliced thinly for sandwiches. Goes a long way.

But usually it's just hamburger.

The situation is predicted to get worse, I think it's mostly about the drought situation, and that isn't going to get better any time soon.

I'd go more vegetarian, but veg makes me very gassy and starches make me diabetic.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 AM

6,308 posts, read 4,772,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
I'm pretty sure, corn being converted to ethanol is one, if not the biggest reason for the sky-rocketing beef costs. Congress needs to quit subsidizing/promoting this practice.
I'd love to blame it on the government, but pork is still cheap, and pigs eat corn. It's the weather:

Why You'll Be Paying More For Beef All This Year : The Salt : NPR

Old 07-03-2014, 04:12 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,189,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I'd love to blame it on the government, but pork is still cheap, and pigs eat corn. It's the weather:

Why You'll Be Paying More For Beef All This Year : The Salt : NPR
pigs grow faster(half the time of a cow) and how many are born in a litter compared to one or two calves??

a mother sow can give birth to 8-12 piglets , twice a year, that's approx., 20 pigs a year, compared to one or two calf's from a cow-

this is why it is cheaper to raise and harvest pork

and pork has gone up in price, and so has chicken

Old 07-03-2014, 04:30 AM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I like steak and still have it once a week or so. But I have to say, I am still stunned that I can usually get boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 a pound but plain old ground beef is usually twice that.
We get boneless breasts for less than that at Sam's and they are outstanding, and yes, even ground chuck is close to $4 a lb. Sometimes it is on sale for $3.39.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:56 AM

3,704 posts, read 9,100,725 times
We've cut back on our beef consumption as well. We don't have Krogers here in Austin, but when we go through Houston we stop and pick up some of their flat iron steaks -great little steak for the money. Last week when we were at Costco, I passed on the beef and bought a boneless leg of lamb @ $4.99/lb instead. We'll get three meals out of it - one with leftovers so it was a good deal. Costco's ground beef was a good deal @ $2.99/lb - about half the price at the grocery store.

I'd love to eat fish instead but I'm pickier about fish than meat - it needs to be wild caught from either US or Mexico and most of the fish in the counter I want is between $15-$20 a pound!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:00 AM

35,821 posts, read 39,387,870 times
We have access to a military commissary, which keeps choice cuts of meat at a price that is quite low. One of the perks.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:03 AM

3,442 posts, read 4,475,189 times
The reason for the sky high price of beef has little to do with corn and ethanol but more to do with the severe droughts a couple years ago.

Beef ranchers were sending their breeding stock to slaughter and thus within a short time period there were a lot fewer calves being born.

Supply and demand determines the price of meat.
Supply is down due to the drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink