U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 01:56 PM

69,478 posts, read 79,700,409 times

Advertisements

I noticed in our paper today Strip steak for $5.99. I got so excited, that was until I read the rest of the add: it was 10 oz, not a lb. We have cut back on beef naturally in the past few years, now we are down to about once a week. I can't afford it any more often. Even fish is cheaper because it is so rich we only eat small amounts. How are others coping?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 03:01 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,549,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I noticed in our paper today Strip steak for $5.99. I got so excited, that was until I read the rest of the add: it was 10 oz, not a lb. We have cut back on beef naturally in the past few years, now we are down to about once a week. I can't afford it any more often. Even fish is cheaper because it is so rich we only eat small amounts. How are others coping?
When I walk through the grocery store and see the price of beef, I'm glad I don't eat it any more.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,181,568 times
We don't really eat much beef, so we're oblivious to the cost of beef.

Old 07-02-2014, 03:11 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,485,096 times
Quote:
How are others coping?
i am slaughtering the cows myself, cutting out the middle man

Old 07-02-2014, 03:16 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,555,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
i am slaughtering the cows myself, cutting out the middle man

If only my HOA allowed me to do that on the back patio of my townhouse. LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 04:05 PM

668 posts, read 461,747 times
I don't eat actual steaks that often. When I do, I'm certainly not buying it for anywhere near that price ... if a steak is worth doing, it's worth doing it right, and prices tend to start around $15-18 a pound and go up for anything of actual quality. I guess that's why I rarely actually buy them.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:09 PM

114,047 posts, read 52,470,064 times
I'm pretty sure, corn being converted to ethanol is one, if not the biggest reason for the sky-rocketing beef costs. Congress needs to quit subsidizing/promoting this practice.

Old 07-02-2014, 05:11 PM

17,208 posts, read 22,247,893 times
Quote:
the cost of beef is at record highs

rib eyes, strips, porterhouse and T-bones and tenderloin, are mostly over 10lb for choice grade
yes, there are lower grades for less,

keep an eye out for the sales in the flyers, some stores might have some of the better steaks as a loss leader
the bone in strip steak will be pushed, because of a cheaper retail, as will the top butt sirloin simply called bnls sirloin steaks (not the strips)

if you get a hankering for a nice steak, that wont break the bank try this- buy one of these bnls sirloin steaks (choice grade ) look for 3.99lb-4.99lb

then use one of these handy dandy tenderizers (needlers)
hit both sides of the steak with this

they are only 5.00 on ebay and they work great,,,
I use it on pork and chicken too- not only does it marinade - the marinades go deeper into the muscle

look for "shoulder chuck steak for London broil" might be on sale for 2.99-3.99lb
use this tenderizer on it, now you get the flavor of the chuck with the tenderness of an expensive steak

here is a link
Stainless Steel Needle Kitchen Knives Professional Cooking Meat Tenderizer Tool | eBay

I really like these- I give em out for gifts and they work great!!
I've used them quite a bit this spring

Old 07-02-2014, 05:31 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,549,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the cost of beef is at record highs

rib eyes, strips, porterhouse and T-bones and tenderloin, are mostly over 10lb for choice grade
yes, there are lower grades for less,

keep an eye out for the sales in the flyers, some stores might have some of the better steaks as a loss leader
the bone in strip steak will be pushed, because of a cheaper retail, as will the top butt sirloin simply called bnls sirloin steaks (not the strips)

if you get a hankering for a nice steak, that wont break the bank try this- buy one of these bnls sirloin steaks (choice grade ) look for 3.99lb-4.99lb

then use one of these handy dandy tenderizers (needlers)
hit both sides of the steak with this

they are only 5.00 on ebay and they work great,,,
I use it on pork and chicken too- not only does it marinade - the marinades go deeper into the muscle

look for "shoulder chuck steak for London broil" might be on sale for 2.99-3.99lb
use this tenderizer on it, now you get the flavor of the chuck with the tenderness of an expensive steak

here is a link
Stainless Steel Needle Kitchen Knives Professional Cooking Meat Tenderizer Tool | eBay

I really like these- I give em out for gifts and they work great!!
I've used them quite a bit this spring
I was out shopping today and bought my son a "commercial grade strip loin" steak. I don't know what that is, but it looks OK. Is that any good?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 PM

3,600 posts, read 3,588,248 times
It is now worth it to buy a freezer, go in with a friend or two for a whole or half a cow, and simply pay to get it butchered yourself. The savings are immense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink