U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 06:40 PM

2,207 posts, read 3,015,064 times

Advertisements

Here's how fast food/restaurant chains stack up against each other.

Survey: Customers slam McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell

I hope these people realize their opinions are moot if they keep going to said places and therefore keeping them in business.

As for myself, I'll eat at McDonald's etc. on occasion. While I might prefer their fries, but prefer Wendy's burgers, and don't mind either or Burger King's nuggets, I'm not fooling myself: it's all fast food. The best is what one could get at mom and pop places, or what one could make at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 07:20 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,612,590 times
Lewis Black joked around back in 2002 how "MTV is to music as KFC is to chicken", so in some cases, this has been going on for quite a while now.

Whenever those places have new offerings, and I go and try them out. Except for that one time I went to McDonalds for a 2 for $5 Filet O Fish (they used to go on sale at 2 for $3) because I got nostalgic for it, I haven't been to McD in almost a year. They pretty much just take the same thing, rearrange it, and give it a different name. I no longer get coupons from them either, which was another major reason. One of my coworkers was only 24, and he said the last time he went to McDonalds was 14 years ago! He is a bit of a food nut though (ie. vegetarian, does more "Whole Foods" type deal)

Burger King kept giving coupons for a while even after I bought something with an existing coupon, but in due time, I had my fill. Taco Bell seems to have the most variety in new stuff, but even then, I'm strive for local joints knowing that if I move, I'm sure these chains will still be accessible.

As for the article, I'm surprised they didn't bring up the pizza at Domino's Pizza being the worst amongst all the pizza joints, even compared to restaurants that don't focus on pizza.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,406 posts, read 50,625,851 times
The rare fast food I will eat on a road trip would be Carl's Jr., most of the time when I want an inexpensive burger we'll go to 5 Guys or Fatburger. More often we'll pay the difference and go to a brewpub type place with gourmet burgers.
McD and the like have their place, and that's the working mother in a hurry to feed the kids on the way back from soccer practice. Heck, the high school kids won't even go near McD, Taco Bell or Jack in the Box any more. They have all switched over to Mod Pizza.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 PM

4,946 posts, read 4,339,450 times
I haven't had any of them for well over a year now.

Chicken (fried and wings) - Usually, I pick it up at the market's deli. I like KFC but their prices have increased and I would have to make an extra stop to pick-up their chicken.

Burger - I don't do it often but will go to Carl's Junior. I really should try a local eatery that specializes in burgers but it is on the other side of town.

Tacos, etc.: I usually go local. I have a favorite restaurant that I try to visit at least once a month for their chicken burritos. There is nothing like authentic salsa. Otherwise, I make my own tacos and tostadas at home. I often enjoy an avocado at home topped with my different favorites.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:34 PM

13,503 posts, read 29,454,867 times
I used to like McDonalds but lately they just don't anything that appeals to me. It seems like so much of their food has been downsized, their chicken sandwiches are tiny, even the Big Mac seems smaller. The only fast food burgers I like anymore are Whataburger and Sonic.

I do sometimes get that bowl thing at KFC that has the popcorn chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn. Sounds gross but it's actually pretty good. I don't eat dark meat, so that pretty much limits me to breasts or tenders.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:58 AM

13,711 posts, read 22,838,286 times
In my experiences at McDonald's recently, the major issue is that line is SOOO EXCRUCITINGLY SLOOOOOOOW. Somebody orders one of those coffee drinks and you will be there 5+ minutes

Old 07-03-2014, 11:02 AM

14,174 posts, read 22,505,000 times
I haven't eaten at any of these (or Burger King, Carl's, Wendys, Arbys, etc.) in 15-20 years. Cheap and disgusting food! They even serve it to you in garbage!

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

13,711 posts, read 22,838,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I haven't eaten at any of these (or Burger King, Carl's, Wendys, Arbys, etc.) in 15-20 years. Cheap and disgusting food! They even serve it to you in garbage!
How would YOU know if you have not been there for 15-20 years???

Old 07-03-2014, 12:45 PM

6,966 posts, read 12,382,114 times
Around here KFC and Taco Bell are the same franchise and are in the same building. We like that since my wife likes extra crispy wings and a biscuit. While getting her order I can get my three soft shell taco in the same order.
As far as the KFC prices, I'm a dark meat fan. A regular deal on the menu now is a 3 piece dark meal for $4.99. 3 pieces, 2 sides and a roll for $5 aint bad!
And one thing I've noticed with just about any of these food places that has a drive through. If there are several cars in the drive through, I'll go in and get mine. Usually quicker.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:48 PM

537 posts, read 942,255 times
I haven't had fast food (well, I think Chipotle technically counts) since late 2011. But that comes from years of eating fast food multiple times a week. Once I started losing weight, I realized that I loved cooking and would just make whatever I was in the mood for. I do miss it sometimes but mainly for convenience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or