U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 09:52 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,225,873 times

Advertisements

Canned soup is completely pasteurized. No need to worry about getting sick from it.

Well, Hedgehog beat me to it. LOL

Old 07-02-2014, 09:58 PM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
Canned soup is completely pasteurized. No need to worry about getting sick from it.

Well, Hedgehog beat me to it. LOL
Soup lovers unite!

And that lentil soup is good stuff...I found it at the 99 cent store and stocked up the other day.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM

1,871 posts, read 1,575,358 times
I have a coworkers who likes to eat refried beans right out of the can and doesn't heat them up. I guess he likes it this way. Haven't seen him eat like this in a while but I have been eating out in my car lately.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:06 AM

6,495 posts, read 2,237,845 times
When I was sixteen years old I was working a summer job in a hospital and they had one of these vending machines that had canned food. I think they were already heated up. I bought a canned meal one day, took a fork and went over and sat at a table. I opened the can and using the fork proceeded to eat out of the very can. I noticed the doctors and nurses staring at me and I couldn't understand why. I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that maybe it didn't look so "nice" eating out of a can. Still in my mind, I didn't understand what the big deal was - if they wanted us to use a plate, they would of put some next to the machine. The can was a good eating container and very ecological instead of wasting a paper dish or water to wash a regular one.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:13 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Ive never heard of eating soup from the can...isnt it a big gadgy.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:33 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
As long as you wash the top before you open it, there shouldn't be any germs to worry about. The canning process kills germs and the lack of air in the can prevents the growth of most germs.
You should also do this with all canned products, even soda cans. One article mentioned that worst case scenario, traces of rat feces ends up on there while the stuff's sitting in a warehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
When I was sixteen years old I was working a summer job in a hospital and they had one of these vending machines that had canned food. I think they were already heated up. I bought a canned meal one day, took a fork and went over and sat at a table. I opened the can and using the fork proceeded to eat out of the very can. I noticed the doctors and nurses staring at me and I couldn't understand why. I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that maybe it didn't look so "nice" eating out of a can. Still in my mind, I didn't understand what the big deal was - if they wanted us to use a plate, they would of put some next to the machine. The can was a good eating container and very ecological instead of wasting a paper dish or water to wash a regular one.
I just recalled... Campbell's and probably some of the other makers had a plastic container design where you can directly heat the soup from that container itself. All you needed to do was remove the plastic lid, then tear off the metal covering, then replace the plastic lid before doing so.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:41 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,305 posts, read 11,808,465 times
Sure it's unclassy. I do it all the time. It seems that the various chicken soups taste best cold, and also clam chowder. Mix Niblets corn in to make a full meal. Other canned foods can be livened up with a few drops of hot sauce.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:45 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,130,341 times
You can't possibly be classy eating soup out of a can with a plastic spoon . You have to drink it out of the can with your "pinkie" held out.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:33 AM

1,210 posts, read 850,383 times
pop-top cans of Spaghetti-Os and whatnot with a plastic spoon are favored by homeless people. That's why it looks unclassy. I spent some time surveying and recovering abandoned / bank-owned properties, that was one of the telltale signs someone had broken into the garage and was perhaps squatting there.

There are microwave-able short fat stubby plastic cans of similar foods that are meant to be eaten straight from the can like that. I've never had one, but I caught my boss eating them a few times.

I will admit to "sampling" the last bit of a soup can rather than fastidiously scraping it into the pot for warming. Maybe I should try the baggette like the earlier poster.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:36 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
When I'm on vacation or a mini-trip, I often pack a plastic spoon and 1 or 2 canned soups, and just eat that without heating it up. I usually can't count on having access to a microwave, nor would I have brought a container to heat it up anyways. This way, I can avoid lines, save money, and save time too. If there turns out to be time for to grab food, I can always save the soup for another time.

I haven't done this much while at work, but the few times I did, I did pour it into a container and then heat it, since it seems eating out of the can at work may not look so good.
When you are by yourself what you do, classy or not is your business. How many of us drink the milk out of our bowl after having cereal or the sauce after having one that is so tasty, but to do it in front of others, no thank you. Normally it is what we used to call good manners!!!! I would hope most of us still call it that. No, I would not eat soup out of a can, but if it doesn't bother you, that is your business. Just don't be too surprised when people give you a strange look.

Now there are times when eating out of the can is not only ok, but better than starving: Yes, camping in some cases, being stuck in the middle of nowhere, another example. It certainly isn't always classless...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or