U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 09:11 AM

218 posts, read 221,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Anyhoo, I'm going with the aforementioned and repeatedly recommended butter cake, probably from this recipe. Gooey Philadelphia German Butter Cake Butterkuchen) Recipe - Food.com

Thanks to everyone who contributed, and I'd 'suggest' that this thread is finished. If anyone has further HELPFUL advice, please send a PM.

Have a wonderful Fourth of July, whether you are American, in America or like hot dogs, hamburgers, fried chicken and other US-style culinary treats.
Just a note, I would suggest using butter instead of shortening in the base dough.

Happy Fourth!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:23 AM

2,813 posts, read 4,311,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
German Chocolate cake gets its name from using German's Chocolate - it's an American concoction and has nothing to do with Germany.
Thank you, Dirt Grinder! This is a pet peeve that drives me crazy!
And to the OP--try searching for desserts. Deserts won't help you.

How about some gingerbread?

Old 07-04-2014, 09:41 AM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberryPl View Post
Just a note, I would suggest using butter instead of shortening in the base dough.

Happy Fourth!
Yep, I figured that would be better - especially since I ALWAYS have unsalted butter in the freezer!

Edited to add: Again, thanks to those with helpful, pertinent advice. It's always welcome AND appreciated!

Old 07-04-2014, 10:26 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
OT
I make deserts but mostly finger food sized. It is easier to plate, serve and eat and I cannot stand the sight of a pie hacked to pieces sitting on the table after the last burp.

Good oil' German buttercream tortes, coffee cakes, fritters - have not made it in years as it would not get eaten. Strudel, French fruit tarts, pies - that is it.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:31 AM

486 posts, read 554,543 times
Quote:
requires a double boiler?!!?

How about a Easy Peach Kuchen recipe from Betty Crocker

Peaches are in season here in NC.
I know things have gone WAY off from this, but a double boiler is as easy to make as to put a Pyrex bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water. No need to buy one.

Old 07-04-2014, 12:28 PM

3,159 posts, read 3,341,074 times
How can anyone not like German baking? Germans have the best cakes in the world. No offense but desserts in the US and Canada are bland and boring. German desserts FTW. And no, I am not German.

Absolutely NEVER adapt a recipe or Americanize it. If you're making blackforest cake, use kirsch and fresh cherries (or cherries preserved in kirschwasser or vodka). If you use canned cherries or pie filling, that's just gross. And unless you have some sort of religious ban on consuming alcohol, never omit liqueur from a German cake recipe.

However, if you want something simpler and blander, a streuselkuchen with fresh fruit is your best bet.

Remember, fresh fruit. Nothing from a can!

Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times
If I were you .... I would put out a tray of fruit and cheese and try to include some of these suggestions.

If I am right everyone will be too full anyway after eating all that German food and some fruit and cheese might be a nice choice.

German Food Notes: German Cheese

Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM

3,159 posts, read 3,341,074 times
Quote:
Actually, as my initial post stated, I LOVE to cook. And I'm considered quite good at it, especially some ethnic items that most home cooks wouldn't consider attempting.

It's baking that I dislike and am inexperienced with.

And yes, it is a dinner club. After endless entrees, salads, appetizers, sides, etc. It simply was my turn to prepare desert.
How about Rote Grutze? No baking involved, authentic German, easy to make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B8dgr%C3%B8d

Old 07-04-2014, 12:53 PM

15,565 posts, read 8,734,436 times
So what did you decide to prepare, JK?

Old 07-04-2014, 01:06 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Though I personally liked the idea of the strong coffee with the ice cream and some of the FRESH fruit oriented suggestions (I would NEVER use canned fruit), the point of this dinner group is to try to expand ourselves a bit with our culinary horizons and talents. It's supposed to be FUN, guys!

So baking something is what I wanted to try. And several of you suggested this and that is what I am going to try to do: Gooey Philadelphia German Butter Cake Butterkuchen) Recipe - Food.com

holzhaus123, I'm relatively sure you'll be saying something unkind about my choice. Please don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink