U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:11 PM

2,224 posts, read 2,866,057 times

Advertisements

Only if she had no problem with me eating meat and cooking me non-vegetarian meals.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:12 PM

13,463 posts, read 14,448,359 times
Vegetarian, sure, as long as there's no hassles with my eating preferences.

Vegan. probably not. Some of them are like religious fanatics.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yes, pretty much this! They are happy to eat my portion of bacon. Honestly, my vegetarian diet (to be fair I've gone back & forth over the years, but I'm back to ovo-lacto) has never caused any problems in my relationship. I think people should eat the foods they like, make them feel good, and keep them healthy. That can vary dramatically from person to person. There's someone who posts to the forums -- I forget his username -- who is avidly against eating veggies & posts lots of links supporting his dietary choices. Seems a little weird to me, but to each his own.
^^^ This

I'm an ovo=lacto pescatarian. I refuse to eat factory feed lot animal meat which has been raised in deplorable conditions.
There's still such a wealth of food to choose from, that it's never presented a problem. Most of my relationships have been with carnivores.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:14 PM

27,244 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Exactly. I don't even like tofu or beans and I don't think SOY is great either especially for females.

You cannot eat a lifetime of starchy carbs but luckily I LOVE vegetables.

It's not that hard to find humane raised and slaughtered animal products. (yes some vegans take exception to that term and believe nothing is humane that interferes with an animal's agenda and I'm ok with that)

In the grocery stores you can find the "certified humane" label on animal products and packaged meats in cryovac packaging or Murray's chicken for example. Also you can order online.

Certified Humane | A Project of Humane Farm Animal Care

I'm lucky to live on the south east coast in Florida and we have a fantastic fish guy in a little building on the water who has daily fresh catch that I can SEE with my own eyes. They've been in business for around 60 years. It may offend some people but for me they are caught and killed as humanely as possible. Let's face it animals eat each other too. I just cannot stand the thought of them being tortured - sometimes intentionally by awful people - while giving up their lives for humans. I was surprised to see some frozen fish in Sam's Club Copper River Seafoods from Alaska that seems to claim high standards. NOT the packages that are labeled "Alaska wild caught - product of CHINA. WTF. We catch the fish in Alaska but send it to CHINA to process???? I even saw that in Target!

Our Story

You can tell your son that he only needs a few eggs a month to avoid a B12 deficiency and it's not that hard to locate "certified humane" eggs if he's really committed. NOT CAGE FREE either pasture raised or certified humane.These boys in college have enough trouble FOCUSING they don't need to live on pizza, beer, and no protein for no good reason, right? I used to actually SHIP steaks or chicken to my kid to make sure he was eating them and I knew he wouldn't sell them once they were in the freezer haha. At the time I think I was using QVC.
Thanks for that! He's also a distance swimmer in college so he needs to eat WELL. So far, I've found only cage-free eggs (he told me how little that really means) but I will try to find the certified humane sticker.

I'm going to check our local farmers market too to see what I can find.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:16 PM

18,536 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Done it, did it and will do it again. I have been surprised that they would want to kiss a meat eater

Old 07-07-2014, 05:20 PM

27,244 posts, read 15,033,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Thank you for a fine example of what several people have been talking about on here in reference to a particular kind of vegan/vegetarian.

By the way, I work in rescue, and have learned that preaching, particularly of the "oh, you're all so horrible!" kind, inevitably turns people off and thus does more harm than good to the cause of the animals.
Except this poster is neither vegetarian nor vegan.

Every now and then it's good to be reminded how little we've evolved.

Old 07-07-2014, 05:26 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times
Probably not...I would have NO idea what to cook for him, and I am a decent cook.....but I think a more FAIR question is would a true vegan date a meat eater???!?!?!? THEIR standards are far more likely to be the deal breaker....

Old 07-07-2014, 05:36 PM

14,932 posts, read 26,635,658 times
I was really hoping that this thread would be able to remain on topic and civil. After having to delete many posts, that was not to be the case.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-07-2014 at 06:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or