Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 AM

144 posts, read 184,810 times

Advertisements

Probably not. :\ I love cooking meat, so it wouldn't work.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:03 AM

210 posts, read 246,086 times
I would not.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Vegan and vegetarian women are too high-maintenance for me.
making a pretty broad statement.

My wife is vegetarian and is not high-maintenance in the slightest. I absolutely cannot deal with a high-maintenance woman because I am very laid-back and drama free. Having known a lot of vegan and vegetarian woman, I would not say I have seen any indicator that there is a correlation between them and high-maintenance.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:46 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I wonder why not???

I guess I'm in your camp with the bolded. My son came home from college a Vegetarian and it's been HARD to learn to cook for him. Basically, I end up eating the same thing he does because I work and do not have time to cook two meals. Plus, I did want to give it a try to see if I could do it and learn to cook in a different way.

Bottom line, I did convince him to eat fish and things have been a bit easier. (I think that's pescetarian??). Baked Salmon, etc . . I can do that. Otherwise, I just feel like we're eating a TON of carbs and you can only do so much with tofu ~ in my limited experience.

I'm not sure if I will stick with it when he goes back to school. I'm interested to see if I do. Right now, the thought of eating a hamburger is distinctly unappealing.

Long story short, I don't see a problem with a meat eater dating a Vegan but I do think there would be challenges when it came to actu ally sharing a kitchen. I've ended up eating what my son does because it's just easier that way.
Exactly. I don't even like tofu or beans and I don't think SOY is great either especially for females.

You cannot eat a lifetime of starchy carbs but luckily I LOVE vegetables.

It's not that hard to find humane raised and slaughtered animal products. (yes some vegans take exception to that term and believe nothing is humane that interferes with an animal's agenda and I'm ok with that)

In the grocery stores you can find the "certified humane" label on animal products and packaged meats in cryovac packaging or Murray's chicken for example. Also you can order online.

http://certifiedhumane.org/

I'm lucky to live on the south east coast in Florida and we have a fantastic fish guy in a little building on the water who has daily fresh catch that I can SEE with my own eyes. They've been in business for around 60 years. It may offend some people but for me they are caught and killed as humanely as possible. Let's face it animals eat each other too. I just cannot stand the thought of them being tortured - sometimes intentionally by awful people - while giving up their lives for humans. I was surprised to see some frozen fish in Sam's Club Copper River Seafoods from Alaska that seems to claim high standards. NOT the packages that are labeled "Alaska wild caught - product of CHINA. WTF. We catch the fish in Alaska but send it to CHINA to process???? I even saw that in Target!

Our Story

You can tell your son that he only needs a few eggs a month to avoid a B12 deficiency and it's not that hard to locate "certified humane" eggs if he's really committed. NOT CAGE FREE either pasture raised or certified humane.These boys in college have enough trouble FOCUSING they don't need to live on pizza, beer, and no protein for no good reason, right? I used to actually SHIP steaks or chicken to my kid to make sure he was eating them and I knew he wouldn't sell them once they were in the freezer haha. At the time I think I was using QVC.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:08 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,102,059 times
Here are some thoughts from the other side. I'm vegetarian for over 20 years and what's happened is that my body no longer produces the enzymes to break down meat so if I by mistake get meat products or get cross contaminated in a restaurant, I pay for it; if you get my drift.

Anyway, that being said, as a vegetarian, yes I'd date meat eaters but marriage, no, can't do it. It would be like living kosher jewish with 2 sets of pots and pan, dishes, etc. to eliminate the cross contamination thing.

And yes obviously my social life is nill because of being a vegetarian. I don't hang out with other vegetarians because they tend to all be pansy liberals and I am strong and vigorous conservative.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:28 AM

917 posts, read 2,005,321 times
I would as long as he respected that I eat meat sometimes. I would like to eat more vegan/veggie meals, basically become a flexitarian but not give up meat completely.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:23 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Q: How can you tell that someone is a vegan?
A: Don't worry, they'll tell you.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:27 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
^^bingo!!!^^

Old 07-07-2014, 12:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
That's a straw man that's easily debunked. It's very easy now to find vegan products and vegans like supporting the small companies.

And even IF they have some lapses or inconsistencies, nobody is ideologically PERFECT.

Once you have an awareness, it's just second nature to chose compassion. Or should we all STOP DRIVING because animal products are in the asphalt roads?

Did you know Jack Hanna was the KEYNOTE SPEAKER and received the "Community Service Award" for advocating for medical RESEARCH/experimentation on animals...at the Pennsylvania Society for Biomedical Research in 2008? Shill animal "lover".

Identify the REAL hypocrites not the little person trying their best to have compassion.

And it's proven that the government mandated requirement to research on animals is not all that helpful anyway. My dog had megaesophagus, for example, and the throat tissue is not the same as humans - striated versus smooth...so there is NO CURE for it and there is NO comparable disease in humans because the esophagus does not like to heal. But they still torture thousands of litters of beagle dogs performing unnecessary tortures on them just to keep the funding dollars flowing through their organization/universities for that disease actually CREATING MEGAESPHOGUS or other conditions in perfectly healthy dogs so they can pretend to try and find "CURES". And when the experiment is particularly nasty they outsource it out of the USA. Do we REALLY think it's OK to breed animals to create Frankenstein conditions and keep them in a life of misery in solitary confinement under torturous conditions for a lifetime like MONKEYS even BABY monkeys ???...for OUR OWN purposes.

if you can read the story of BRITCHES the monkey without crying, you're a tougher person than I'll EVER be. His story became PUBLIC after he was RESCUED by those ~crazy animal rights activists, was examined by UC Davis veterinarians and sparked a movement and awareness.

Britches

CAUTION: MORE HEARTBREAKING CRAP HUMANS DO

Research monkeys have needles inserted into eyelids before being flown to UK laboratories | Mail Online

Silver Spring monkeys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Education and awareness is always better than avoidance and plausible deniability.

I always regret entering these threads and ruining a couple days of my life remembering how awful people can be.
Thank you for a fine example of what several people have been talking about on here in reference to a particular kind of vegan/vegetarian.

By the way, I work in rescue, and have learned that preaching, particularly of the "oh, you're all so horrible!" kind, inevitably turns people off and thus does more harm than good to the cause of the animals.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:09 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I was vegetarian for years and always lived with omnivores. They loved that I never ate their bacon.

I'd date a vegetarian if they didn't try to dictate what I ate.
Yes, pretty much this! They are happy to eat my portion of bacon. Honestly, my vegetarian diet (to be fair I've gone back & forth over the years, but I'm back to ovo-lacto) has never caused any problems in my relationship. I think people should eat the foods they like, make them feel good, and keep them healthy. That can vary dramatically from person to person. There's someone who posts to the forums -- I forget his username -- who is avidly against eating veggies & posts lots of links supporting his dietary choices. Seems a little weird to me, but to each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink