Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Hehe - my husband doesn't approve of me dating anyone else, either - yeah, I asked him! (We are both omnivores)

I have a good male friend who is omnivore and his girlfriend is vegan. I know it is difficult for him, he told me he has to go out a few times a week to get some meat, and he does eat it in front of her, but I think it makes him uncomfortable. I do wonder if a relationship like that can work long term, because as others have pointed out, cooking and eating is a large part of one's life, both for health and enjoyment.

I have found that most people I have known in real life or even on internet who are into very specialized diets tend to be preachy and proselytize others. PLEASE - ANY VEGANS HERE DO NOT TAKE OFFENSE, I know that not everyone will be this way.

I personally am a very moderate person who chooses not to restrict anything and I do respect others choices to do as they see fit; I just don't want to be preached to.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm only asking this because it is posted in the vegan forum.

Would you date a vegan?
I'm married, but if I wasn't, I would not date a vegetarian or vegan unless that person was vegetarian or vegan because of some unusual medical condition that she had which required her to consume only vegetables for her own health. (I don't know if such conditions exist, but I'm allowing for the possibility.)

Most vegetarians / vegans are that way by personal choice, because they think there is something wrong with eating meat. Either they feel that meat is unhealthy for you or they feel that it is cruel to raise and eventually slaughter animals for use as food. Since vegetarianism / veganism is a mentality, even if the woman never said anything about my consumption of meat, she would look upon me as some form of inferior human being because I was okay with consuming meat, against whatever is her reasoning for not eating meat.

I suppose I'd date someone who didn't eat meat because she truly did not like the taste of any meat products, and it had nothing to do with thinking it was somehow "wrong" to eat meat... but such people are, I imagine, very rare. Meat is delicious.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:06 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I'm only asking this because it is posted in the vegan forum.

Would you date a vegan?
I've been both and say don't do it.

A true vegan is usually nauseous thinking about the factory farming process and watching or smelling animal products like a nice big raw steak or looking at a fish. It's different than "just" being a veg and avoiding animal products for different reasons. And most vegetarians eat CHEESE but vegans of course won't. Ditto Milk. It's a life style not an eating choice.

It's not worth it. Even IF plenty of people change their eating habits over time.

Of course if the vegan says they have no problems with it, then it's not an issue.

Ever try cooking two opposite meals in the same kitchen at the same time?

I showed my meat loving friend some factory farming videos once at work and on Monday she was like "OMG I couldn't eat anything all weekend except pepperoni because it didn't remind me of a real animal."

I got a B12 deficiency from being a macrobiotic vegan for 5 years so added eggs but only "certified humane" then I've since then added animal products "certified humane" just because it still turns my stomach thinking about the factory farming system. NOT a matter of "my opinion" just how my BRAIN works. Can't change it now. so....

I have no problem eating an animal but I DO have a problem with how they are handled during their life span and at slaughter so buying pasture raised, small farm humane for ME, is the way to go.

Old 07-06-2014, 10:52 AM

723 posts, read 868,767 times
Absolutely. I'd probably end up living a bit healthier.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:08 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
My husband simply doesn't approve of me dating anyone.
I wonder why not???

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
I've been both and say don't do it.

A true vegan is usually nauseous thinking about the factory farming process and watching or smelling animal products like a nice big raw steak or looking at a fish. It's different than "just" being a veg and avoiding animal products for different reasons. And most vegetarians eat CHEESE but vegans of course won't. Ditto Milk. It's a life style not an eating choice.

It's not worth it. Even IF plenty of people change their eating habits over time.

Of course if the vegan says they have no problems with it, then it's not an issue.

Ever try cooking two opposite meals in the same kitchen at the same time?

I showed my meat loving friend some factory farming videos once at work and on Monday she was like "OMG I couldn't eat anything all weekend except pepperoni because it didn't remind me of a real animal."

I got a B12 deficiency from being a macrobiotic vegan for 5 years so added eggs but only "certified humane" then I've since then added animal products "certified humane" just because it still turns my stomach thinking about the factory farming system. NOT a matter of "my opinion" just how my BRAIN works. Can't change it now. so....

I have no problem eating an animal but I DO have a problem with how they are handled during their life span and at slaughter so buying pasture raised, small farm humane for ME, is the way to go.
I guess I'm in your camp with the bolded. My son came home from college a Vegetarian and it's been HARD to learn to cook for him. Basically, I end up eating the same thing he does because I work and do not have time to cook two meals. Plus, I did want to give it a try to see if I could do it and learn to cook in a different way.

Bottom line, I did convince him to eat fish and things have been a bit easier. (I think that's pescetarian??). Baked Salmon, etc . . I can do that. Otherwise, I just feel like we're eating a TON of carbs and you can only do so much with tofu ~ in my limited experience.

I'm not sure if I will stick with it when he goes back to school. I'm interested to see if I do. Right now, the thought of eating a hamburger is distinctly unappealing.

Long story short, I don't see a problem with a meat eater dating a Vegan but I do think there would be challenges when it came to actu ally sharing a kitchen. I've ended up eating what my son does because it's just easier that way.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:30 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Sure. As long as they accept that I have no interest in becoming vegan or vegetarian, and have no objections to me eating meat.
Yep!

Old 07-06-2014, 12:11 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
well after being married for 56 years, I doubt I would date anyone again. I will keep my meat eating, spoiled brat husband for as long as we still both on this earth...If he goes before me, I probably will forget what the words vegan and vegetarian mean, I will be doing good to still know my name.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:40 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
I dated a vegan for a few years, and a handful of vegetarians. It wasn't really a big deal. Although, I'm not a person who feels like I "need" to eat meat. Gluten free and no carb people are harder to deal with, IMO.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:51 PM

390 posts, read 824,583 times
I'm married, but if I was single, the answer would be yes, so long as they are healthy about it. Married? It really depends. Too many vegetarians are actually very unhealthy due to getting too many carbs in their diet and not enough protein and certain minerals and vitamins. As a bodybuilder, I'm a big meat eater, but respect other peoples' lifestyle choices, as long as they are healthy about it.

Old 07-06-2014, 05:45 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazergore1198 View Post
I'm married, but if I was single, the answer would be yes, so long as they are healthy about it. Married? It really depends. Too many vegetarians are actually very unhealthy due to getting too many carbs in their diet and not enough protein and certain minerals and vitamins. As a bodybuilder, I'm a big meat eater, but respect other peoples' lifestyle choices, as long as they are healthy about it.
Sorta this, but even more so because I could't bear a relationship with someone that was hurting themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink