U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 12:19 PM

4,445 posts, read 5,172,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Older/higher quality pans have smoother finishes. Newer/lower quality pans have rougher finishes. The cheaper ones from China look like they were cast in gravel rather than sand.

I would rather buy a used American product at a thrift store, or as OP did, at a yard sale, which is always superior quality to those imports.

I use a crumpled up piece of aluminum foil as a scraper once in while to keep my skillet's surface nice and smooth. We love to make flat breads in it as well as scrambled eggs on moderate heat.

Lodge also has a cookbook available which has more cooking ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
I have used Flaxseed oil on some pans I was cleaning and re-seasoning and it does work great as a starter, but honestly, I have the best results with just cooking bacon as some others have mentioned. So, if you want to get a really good season on it, do both like I did, just rotate which pan you use to do the bacon and /or pour some grease from the cook into the other pan, rub it off and heat it.

I clean mine with hot water and a plastic dish brush. If you get a brush with a flat part on the back you can use it to scrape any stubborn spots off without scraping the season off at all.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:15 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,127,846 times
I love cooking/baking with cast iron skillets.....I have 2 they both have a number 8 on them, can anyone tell me what this means? My grandfather traveled the dusty trails of Arizona to Oklahoma moving cattle in the 40's and these were the only pans he used. I feel lucky to have something that he actually used and cared for.

Old 12-30-2014, 05:39 PM

894 posts, read 798,618 times
I love cast iron. My grandmother always told me never to use soap on them, just wipe them out with a damp sponge and keep them seasoned.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:46 PM

22,714 posts, read 21,770,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
BTW - has anyone compared the finish on a "vintage" cast iron pan to the new ones?
Unfortunately, no. My mother inherited my grandmother's cast iron, never used it, then gave it away.

Old 12-30-2014, 08:31 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Don't care what you do or some other foodies do. I do as my born and bred country parents and grandparents did, one set from Ohio and one from NC. No soap. No lye, no lie.
Who is talking about lye?

Old 12-30-2014, 08:34 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Wow, I came to the right place for advice on my free cast iron frying pans.

As for "pounding" with scrambled eggs--what I mean is that I scramble eggs in the frying pan as they cook, that involves a lot of "pounding" with the spatula.

I also hear, of course, that cooking cornbread in the oven in a cast iron frying pan produced exceptionally good cornbread. If so, I'm looking forward to that.
"Pounding"? For scrambled eggs? Never heard of such a thing. I stir them in the pan with a spatula, as they cook. Certainly no reason to "pound" anything!!

Old 12-31-2014, 11:04 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"Pounding"? For scrambled eggs? Never heard of such a thing. I stir them in the pan with a spatula, as they cook. Certainly no reason to "pound" anything!!
That's what I mean. You have the eggs in the pan, and you stir them up pretty aggressively with the spatula. As they "take shape" and finish cooking, the real "pounding" commences--as in chopping the eggs up in smaller pieces using the spatula. That was the part which made me nervous.

Also, tonight, I made cornbread in the skillet for the first time. It was right darned good. I don't know that it was as dramatically better vs how it's turned out with my cooking it in a glass or ceramic pan, but it was still better. The crunchy bottom was nice. I simply sprayed a little non-stick on the pan, heated it in the oven for about 10 minutes before pouring in the batter--and the finished cornbread very easily came right off, no sticking.

When I was done, I simply sprayed the pan off with water, dried it with a paper towel, sprayed just a very small amount of non-stick, then spread it around with the same paper towel before putting it away.

That said, I have still kept my "normal" cheapskate "who gives a rip" frying pan, one of them anyway, for "everyday" stuff such as earlier today when I fried hamburger for making Sloppy Joe's. I knew I didn't want to have to fuss with "babying" the dishes after, I was in a hurry. For those occasions I'm not apt to mess with the cast iron, and am glad to still have the "normal" or "who gives a rip if it gets mistreated" type of frying pan.

Last edited by shyguylh; 12-31-2014 at 11:15 PM..

Old 12-31-2014, 11:15 PM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
I hate the rough-cast finish of contemporary Lodge pans. It's difficult to ever get a smooth patina.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,139,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I hate the rough-cast finish of contemporary Lodge pans. It's difficult to ever get a smooth patina.
Do a web search - there are lots of examples of how to smooth the inside finish of those skillets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink