U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM

21,143 posts, read 22,112,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
This sounds like my dad's requirements for scrambled eggs. He will not eat any eggs that are in any way still moist (or, has he puts it, "raw and snotty"). Also won't touch a runny yolk.
I don't care for runny/"loose" scrambled eggs either but one can scramble and completely cook a lovely, fluffy scrambled egg without assaulting it and overcooking it. Beat the eggs with a little milk prior to pouring into the pan, then gently stir and fold the eggs with a rubber spatula until they are cooked to the desired level of done-ness. No pounding required.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

3,313 posts, read 3,312,817 times
Default Cast Iron Skillets

I just bought my first ever, and I'm trying to read up on the care and seasoning of them.

I want to do it with coconut oil if it's ok. I found some info and it says "spread the oil on the inside and outside of the skillet." Why the outside??? It says to bake it, but other places say just do it on the stove.

Then there's the possibility of putting too much oil and making it sticky, or that the seasoning that came with the pan will scrape off somehow if you do something wrong.

Ugh, is all this fuss worth it? I'm thinking you'll probably say yes.

Let's put it this way - I am always looking for an easy way to do things, if it's too hard, fughetaboutit! So what should I do with my new pan? Or should I even keep it? I've gone 47 years living without one, maybe I don't need one?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM

3,717 posts, read 4,496,089 times
Mine was handed down from my Grandparents & Parents

Once you get to using it you'll wonder why you waited so long

From day one and a few times every other year, I just dampen a paper
towel in bacon grease ( inside ) and stick it in a 350 degree oven for
30min. turn the oven off and let it cool in there.

My Griswold & Basting cover is almost 80 years old and it's never had
any soap, just real hot water and I've never had anything stick or become
part of the pan or cover

Old 04-20-2015, 09:55 AM

7,310 posts, read 4,676,701 times
I like to keep things simple too, and use one pan for most everything, even though I recently bought a set.

I've had my iron skillet for a couple years and don't use it much because it's heavy and awkward and I feel like I am doing it wrong. (I let it soak after using it and it gets rusty). I season the inside and outside with olive oil.

I'm interested in some answers from other people on the proper way to use cast iron skillets so I can get the most out of mine!

Old 04-20-2015, 10:14 AM

3,185 posts, read 3,870,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I'm interested in some answers from other people on the proper way to use cast iron skillets so I can get the most out of mine!
Me too. When I had one cleaning it was a massive pain. It also generated smoke when using it for steaks, etc. so the entire house would smell for a day or two after use.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:19 AM

4,937 posts, read 4,644,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I feel like I am doing it wrong. (I let it soak after using it and it gets rusty).

Well, that's doing it wrong.

Never let cast iron cookware soak for anything longer than just a couple of minutes.

Directions for proper seasoning and use of cast iron cookware can be readily found with a brief search.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:26 AM

OK, did my brief search, watched some YouTube videos, etc. Here's my next question: It says to season in oven for about an hour. And that it may need to be done about 2-3 times. So would I season in oven for an hour, take out, reapply oil, bake for another hour, repeat, and it will all be done and all good to go in 3 hours from now?

Also, is Dobie pad cool to use for cleaning?
And, still planning to use coconut oil. Is that going to work the same as Crisco or vegetable oil or olive oil?

Old 04-20-2015, 10:31 AM

26,855 posts, read 57,874,473 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46nRKacPWPs

Old 04-20-2015, 11:14 AM

Uggghhhhh I put the skillet in the oven, fan on, windows open, and my stupid oversensitive fire alarm went off. Now what!!

Old 04-20-2015, 03:22 PM

I found through my further research that I can buy some Saran "shower caps" and put one over the detector. Gonna try that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink