U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 03:51 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,281,421 times

Advertisements

Ours is over 35 yrs old. Husband brought it over from his mothers kitchen in Ukraine.
Olive oil seems to work for this great little pan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 04:55 PM

5,867 posts, read 7,089,766 times
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when we were married over 30 years ago we received a set of 3 cast iron skillets. I never seasoned them as it seemed to be a pain. They've been moved and moved and moved again. Recently I was bored one cold afternoon and decided to go for it. I also wanted a smaller skillet since our kids are out of the house now. This seemed like the perfect solution.

I pulled them out of the pantry, gave them a good scrub, greased them with some shortening and baked them for an hour. I've only seasoned them once. I've been using them a couple of times a week. I can tell that they should probably be seasoned again.

DH made steaks in them one night. We didn't have a problem with smoke or smell, but we have a powerful vent. I've made fajita style chicken and shrimp in them a few times. It's been kind of fun to use them.

I just put a little bit soap and water in after using it, wipe it out, and put it on the stove with the flame on to dry it quickly. The first few times I used it I wiped some more shortening in it.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:09 PM

3,877 posts, read 4,574,828 times
I usually clean mine immediately after removing the food from it -- run it under hot water and scrub it with a nylon bristle dish brush (while wearing an oven mitt to hang on to the handle), wipe off the excess water with a paper towel and drop a few drops of oil on it and use the paper towel to put a skim coat on it, and stick it back on the hot burner or hot oven to dry completely and seal the oil. I like to use coconut or peanut oil for this bit because it's got a higher smoke point than olive oil.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:08 PM

4,748 posts, read 6,148,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I just put a little bit soap and water in after using it, wipe it out, and put it on the stove with the flame on to dry it quickly. The first few times I used it I wiped some more shortening in it.
Don't use soap!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:19 PM

305 posts, read 280,376 times
I seasoned mine with bacon grease. I cooked lots of bacon on it, first couple times. Then just wash with very hot water and a scrub. Never use soap. After I wash it, I put it on stove to dry it out. Then rub a small amount of oil on it before storing it. Cast iron pans are great. I love to cook steaks on it and blackened catfish, etc.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:21 PM

5,826 posts, read 3,302,475 times
The seasoning works best with a saturated fat like bacon grease. It goes into the "pores" of the pan. I never season with olive oil, as it makes it sticky.

After use I soak mine briefly if necessary and scrub it with a brass scrubbie. I dry it well with paper towels, as it will stain cloth dish towels. Finish drying on the stove burner briefly if necessary.

When it needs a little re-seasoning, I just fry up some bacon and spread the fat around in the pan with a pad of paper towel while the pan is still warm. After it sits for a few hours, I wipe it out well with paper towels and a little water if necessary. Make sure to dry it well so it doesn't rust.

Old 04-20-2015, 08:32 PM

1,047 posts, read 995,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I just bought my first ever, and I'm trying to read up on the care and seasoning of them.

I want to do it with coconut oil if it's ok. I found some info and it says "spread the oil on the inside and outside of the skillet." Why the outside??? It says to bake it, but other places say just do it on the stove.

Then there's the possibility of putting too much oil and making it sticky, or that the seasoning that came with the pan will scrape off somehow if you do something wrong.

Ugh, is all this fuss worth it? I'm thinking you'll probably say yes.

Let's put it this way - I am always looking for an easy way to do things, if it's too hard, fughetaboutit! So what should I do with my new pan? Or should I even keep it? I've gone 47 years living without one, maybe I don't need one?
I own 4 cast iron skillets all together. 2 lodge skillets (the really big one and standard 12', 1 lodge griddle, and 1 Griswold skillet that my great grandparents owned forever, from the early 1900's. Everyone seems to kind of have their own method so I'd say there are a lot of right ways to maintain cast iron but a lot of wrong ways too. Be careful with acidic foods, soap and water.
Some will say not to use metal in cast iron, it's all I use in cast iron. I hate flimsy plastic utensils. Never an issue.

Preferred washing method for me is.

1. Toss and sink full of hot water for up to 10 min.
2. Scrub with scrubber. The plastic cheap "scourers" are the only thing I'll use.
3. Wipe with a clean dry cloth and put on stove to finish drying for 10 min or so on low.
4. Apply a fat to protect the seasoning. (I only have experiance with Veggie Oil, Bacon Grease, and lard.) I learned the hard way that butter is a bad choice LOL. I was told to never wipe with olive oil. I cook with OO in them all the time though that's not as issue.

I never ever tried to season the outside of any of my cast iron. Method I was taught growing up was to spread a thing layer of fat of choice across all COOKING surfaces of skillet, put in stove on high until it really starts smoking, cool, clean , and you have a seasoned skillet. My families method came about before smoke detectors so I do the above on a propane BBQ.

The longer you cook on a skillet, the stronger the seasoning gets. After a while it will be pretty bulletproof.

I love my cast iron and you will too. There's a little bit of a learning curve in maintenance I guess but it's not rocket science either.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:47 PM

10,947 posts, read 14,593,711 times
I have a lot of cast iron cookware. 5-6 skillets, a griddle, 3 dutch ovens.. Most of it old, well seasoned and in great shape.

Personally I don't use soap. Most of my skillets I simply fill 1/2 with water and boil it on the stove, scrape it with a wooden spatula or a light scrub with non-soap scrubbie or a fine steel wool (and I mean lightly) and then a little oil goes in the warm pan, a wipe around the surfaces and then low heat for a few minutes. Then they get put away.

I use cast iron at least 3x per week. At least. Nothing has come close IMO. Pretty much a low maintenance lifetime piece of equipment. Multiple generations, actually.

Last edited by Threerun; 04-20-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 10:50 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,816,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
OK, did my brief search, watched some YouTube videos, etc. Here's my next question: It says to season in oven for about an hour. And that it may need to be done about 2-3 times. So would I season in oven for an hour, take out, reapply oil, bake for another hour, repeat, and it will all be done and all good to go in 3 hours from now?

Also, is Dobie pad cool to use for cleaning?
And, still planning to use coconut oil. Is that going to work the same as Crisco or vegetable oil or olive oil?

Do not use coconut oil on a cast iron skillet, ONLY use vegetable oil, you will find that information at Lodge Logic's website as well as the proper way to season a cast iron skillet.

Also, do not "soak" the cast iron, use a scraper that you can purchase at lodge logic or the one's that come with pampered chef items and a scrubby brush but not a wire brush.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:54 PM

10,947 posts, read 14,593,711 times
I've never used vegetable oil and I've never had any problems, nor has my family. Several of our skillets are well over 75+ years old. Lard and olive oil are the main items we've used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink