U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 PM

2,200 posts, read 1,445,367 times

Advertisements

proper seasoning creates a non-stick surface that also prevents rusting. rub a bit of oil on the bottom after using as constant flame on bottom will burn away seasoning. rust can start there..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:01 PM

183,875 posts, read 74,980,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
The Truth About Cast Iron Pans: 7 Myths That Need To Go Away | Serious Eats

This is a really informative article about cast iron by J. Kenji Lopez-Alt from The Food Lab.

I don't use mine nearly enough, but love steaks cooked in it. I will often clean it by scraping whatver fat/gunk is in it following cooking, then scrub it with kosher salt and some olive oil, and a paper towel.
Thanks for the link. Now I know how to smooth up our new Lodge wok like the ancient cast iron pieces we have. Sometime back I was gifted with two classic cast iron items. One deep fryer with lid and a dutch oven with lid. One is coated in olive oil and that has to go. Most likely I'll have it sand blasted before it gets a proper seasoning. New to our cast iron collection is a stone finished dutch oven for slow cooking chilli or oven baking sourdough breads.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:43 PM

2,929 posts, read 3,337,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Smoker View Post
Thanks for the link. Now I know how to smooth up our new Lodge wok like the ancient cast iron pieces we have. Sometime back I was gifted with two classic cast iron items. One deep fryer with lid and a dutch oven with lid. One is coated in olive oil and that has to go. Most likely I'll have it sand blasted before it gets a proper seasoning. New to our cast iron collection is a stone finished dutch oven for slow cooking chilli or oven baking sourdough breads.
LOL, no need for a sandblasting. If your oven has a self clean feature, use it to clean the pan of old seasoning. You can also throw it in the BBQ on high or even put it in a campfire. Some sandpaper and elbow grease work too.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
LOL, no need for a sandblasting. If your oven has a self clean feature, use it to clean the pan of old seasoning. You can also throw it in the BBQ on high or even put it in a campfire. Some sandpaper and elbow grease work too.
I've already considered putting it in the gas grill. With my elbows my sandblasting friend might be a wise decision after a heat treatment.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:51 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Smoker View Post

WHITE VINEGAR is your friend

Old 04-21-2015, 02:52 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,907,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post

You melt that skillet away in a campfire or on a hot BBQ grill.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
WHITE VINEGAR is your friend
Thanks, I'll start with the gallon of white vinegar I have. That's probably better than taking it to the ocean surf and letting rolling waves of saltwater and sand polish them.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:08 PM

2,929 posts, read 3,337,730 times
Quote:
No you won't. I've put pans and camp style dutch ovens in fires to clean them. It works great. Of course you don't want to leave them overnight, but an hour or two won't hurt. How to do think the pans are formed?

Old 04-21-2015, 03:41 PM

3,396 posts, read 5,974,206 times
Quote:
Nope - won't happen. I spent almost an entire night trying to melt a cast iron skillet in a campfire when I was in Boy Scouts. Got it glowing orange, but it didn't melt. I still use it today as a matter of fact (30 years later).

You need to get well over 2,000 degrees to melt iron, and campfires or grills won't get anywhere near those temps (otherwise the BBQ grill itself would melt).

Old 04-21-2015, 03:47 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,696,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I just bought my first ever, and I'm trying to read up on the care and seasoning of them.

I want to do it with coconut oil if it's ok. I found some info and it says "spread the oil on the inside and outside of the skillet." Why the outside??? It says to bake it, but other places say just do it on the stove.

Then there's the possibility of putting too much oil and making it sticky, or that the seasoning that came with the pan will scrape off somehow if you do something wrong.

Ugh, is all this fuss worth it? I'm thinking you'll probably say yes.

Let's put it this way - I am always looking for an easy way to do things, if it's too hard, fughetaboutit! So what should I do with my new pan? Or should I even keep it? I've gone 47 years living without one, maybe I don't need one?
You're thinking too much.

Just start cooking stuff in bacon grease (I like fried bread myself) and don't use detergent to clean it. Just scrape it dry with a paper towel, or a no-soap stainless scrubbing pad and water if you've got a bad mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink