U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:35 PM

6,988 posts, read 12,415,265 times

Advertisements

I remember when my wife and I started dating. She almost had a coronary when she walked in my house and I had my cast iron skillet in the dish water. She told me quick "DON'T EVER DO THAT!" She's using one that was her grandmother's and to this day nothing sticks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM

54,350 posts, read 38,381,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
Ok, here's what's going on.
First off, I had a caphlon cast iron pan that was great for a year or two. Then it got too nasty and just needed re-seasoning. Went through the process twice (including putting it through my oven's cleaning cycle to get down to the bare cast iron) and couldn't get it back to a non-stick surface. Got frustrated enough that I picked up a brand new Lodge pre-seasoned skillet. I got it from amazon and on the amazon reviews I read where people got their new skillet and before using it they seasoned it further themselves. So this is what I did as well. Took it out of the box and did the following...

1) Wiped a THIN layer of organic flaxseed oil on top and bottom of skillet.
2) Put in cool oven, upside down
3) Turned oven to 500 degrees and baked for 1 hour after reaching temp.
4) Let completely cool in oven for several hours
5) Repeated 4 more times.

Excited to give it the ultimate test this morning, I heated the cast iron on my gas stove top this morning on medium heat for several minutes. Added a bunch of ghee, completely coating the skillet. Dropped in 3 eggs (planning on making over-medium fried eggs) and waiting a few minutes for the eggs to partially cook. Went to flip them with my spatula and they were completely stuck to the pan and had to be scraped off making a complete mess.

What gives?! Why am i having so much trouble?!
I don't know what effect it would have but 500F sounds awfully hot to be using for seasoning. I would try contacting Lodge directly and see what they recommend.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM

1,649 posts, read 3,055,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know what effect it would have but 500F sounds awfully hot to be using for seasoning. I would try contacting Lodge directly and see what they recommend.
I know lodge recommends 350 but that's not for flaxseed oil, just regular vegetable oil.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:47 PM

54,350 posts, read 38,381,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
I know lodge recommends 350 but that's not for flaxseed oil, just regular vegetable oil.
Flaxseed oil has a much lower smoke point than other vegetable oils so I'd have my doubts that the high temp is necessary or beneficial.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points

Old 07-08-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Flaxseed oil has a much lower smoke point than other vegetable oils so I'd have my doubts that the high temp is necessary or beneficial.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points
I hear ya.
I'm just going by EVERY link i've seen on seasoning with flaxseed oil.
Here's another...
Amazing Cast Iron Seasoning
Just google and you'll see how many come up, how consistent they are, and how they are all "OMG IT'S THE BESTEST!" LOL! :roll eyes:

BTW, currently have my skillet baking in the oven at 300 degrees with crisco.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:59 PM

974 posts, read 1,270,297 times
Transfats be d&#%mned...Crisco is manna from heaven.

It's a miracle worker for all things irony.

Why don't you make some tasty chicken cutlets coated with panko flakes with all that tasty Crisco just swimming around doing nothing???

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM

Ok so after round one of the crisco, the pan came out of the cool oven with a layer of sticky crisco.
Now what?

Old 07-08-2014, 10:16 PM

974 posts, read 1,270,297 times
Make fried chicken cutlets??? Really hungry here...

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM

3,140 posts, read 4,795,886 times
People trying to "season & have non-stick immediately" are poised for failure.

Use the pan for every "non" non-stick duty you can come up with. With time & use it will become seasoned all on it's own.

All the seasoning magic you read about these days can't compare with good 'ol use.

Use it to cook with. Fry in it. Saute in it. Do everything you can think of in it...except non-stick duty. It'll season all on it's own...I promise.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 AM

11,112 posts, read 11,523,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cape_fisherman View Post
People trying to "season & have non-stick immediately" are poised for failure.

Use the pan for every "non" non-stick duty you can come up with. With time & use it will become seasoned all on it's own.

All the seasoning magic you read about these days can't compare with good 'ol use.

Use it to cook with. Fry in it. Saute in it. Do everything you can think of in it...except non-stick duty. It'll season all on it's own...I promise.
Exactly. The way to season cast iron is to cook with it. Fry bacon. Pop popcorn. Use it every day for something greasy, and in short order it will be thoroughly seasoned. Wipe it out when you are done. If there is stuff stuck on the surface, just heat the pan and add a little water, then scrape it off. Unfortunately, a frying pan's shape does not lend itself to using a pumice block, which is the ideal way to clean cast iron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink