U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 07:10 AM

2,685 posts, read 1,769,477 times

Advertisements

Heavy oven mitts.

Or a thick kitchen towel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 07:19 AM

1,985 posts, read 5,861,904 times
I have several cast iron pans and skillets, I season them by cooking in them been using it for over 35 years. As soon as I am done cooking in them I pour out the grease/lard and immerse it in a sink of hot water with dish soap, scrub the crumbles out of it and rinse it off, wipe it down. Ready for the next meal.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:17 PM

7,691 posts, read 10,062,057 times
Lodge sells the oven mitt fabric handle covers, we have a few. http://www.lodgemfg.com/cooking-acce...ndle-mitt-HHMT I also use a Pit Mit (they have a white version called the Ove Glove) I often use my cast iron on a grill, so the handles get whatever temp the grill is, so the gloves are indispensable.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:24 PM

7,800 posts, read 5,444,262 times
I haven't read all the responses yet but your best bet is youtube. There's tons of videos where folks give their demonstrations of seasoning cast iron. I had that problem also. The thing is that the more you cook in them, the better it gets. Another tip is cooking bacon in them. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:36 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Default Just Got 2 Cast Iron Skillets, The Usual Questions

My wife & I went to a garage sale of sorts Saturday, one where they were giving away/selling items. It was a nice home, very clean & such, with nice stuff.

Among other items, they gave me, for free, 2 cast iron skillets--one was 10", the other 11". The 10" one seems to have some "used" marks in one spot, but is otherwise immaculate (those marks aren't rusted in anyway). The 11" one is just plain immaculate period. She had a paper towel placed between the 2 skillets, which were stacked inside of each other (which to me indicates she knew what she was doing).

If I understand what I've read correctly, the idea is that you're supposed to "season" them, but I would imagine she's already done that, as they're used. Also, you should only use plastic spatulas etc. I scrambled eggs this morning, using plenty of canola oil so they wouldn't stick. I was nervous about "pounding" on the eggs in the pan with the spatula even though it was plastic, but I did so. Later I thought I saw marks, but I had taken photos of the skillets when I first got them, and those marks were the ones that I mentioned as having already been there, so it was nothing I did. (Regardless, I do need the freedom to "pound" that way as needed.)

Lastly, once done, I IMMEDIATELY sprayed hot water into the pan to clean it, and then dried it with a very thick, freshly washed dish cloth, and then, after waiting a few minutes to make sure it was dry and then drying it some more, I returned it to being "stacked" inside the other skillet as it been before using it. I then put both pans inside a plastic bag and placed them on a shelf.

Am I on the right track here? What about hanging them from a nail on the wall?

Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 AM

5,119 posts, read 12,713,147 times
You really can't hurt an iron skillet....I don't use special utensils in mine....have had it for 30 years! Mine is nicely seasoned, but occasionally, I'll throw a little oil on it, then dry well.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM

10,941 posts, read 14,584,566 times
I have used cast iron all of my life (I'm almost 50). I have maybe a dozen different pans, dutch ovens, skillets, etc.. I've always done the following-

1. New or used purchases- check it for flat and level. If it's warped it may be unsalvageable.

2. Is it seasoned and how well? A good seasoned cast iron skillet will have a smooth black patina sheen- very slick to the touch. That's the carbon layer that forms over time and cleaning. If the pan is rusty anywhere on the inside- you have to start over. Scrub with steel wool, wash and dry, then begin the seasoning process using oil and oven heat. Lot's of info at Lodge's website for this step. This would be the only (and hopefully last) time soap would possibly be used.

3. Cooking- lightly oil the pan. Most of my skillets only require a teaspoon of oil smeared around the pan to begin cooking. Bacon or greasy foods- None.

4. Utensils- I use metal solid spatulas all the time! Not gonna hurt good old cast iron!

5. Cleaning- I usually scrape obvious leftover 'stuff' out with the metal spatula, or sometimes I scrape it with a 1.4" or 2" flexible drywall knife (used only for this purpose). Cheap and very effective. If that's all that's required I wipe it out with a damp paper towel, then follow up with just a light bit of oil and a clean paper towel and done. If it's stubborn I may pour salt in the pan and rub with a paper towel- usually works just fine. Finish with the oil damped paper towel. If it's really stubborn I'll put some clean water in it, heat it on the stove then hit it lightly with non-soapy steel wool.

That's it. No soap EVER. Either scrape and oil, salt rub and oil or boil, scrub and oil. Been doing it that way as long as I can remember, and that's what my family did before me. Those skillets are still going strong!

Enjoy!

Old 12-29-2014, 12:10 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Thanks for the information (and I welcome anymore). I'm delighted at getting these 10" and 11" cast iron skillets for completely free. I think I can just save one single "everyday" pan for when I'm in a hurry and just and trash the rest.

Old 12-29-2014, 12:22 PM

11,689 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Until they are well seasoned let them sit in the stove when you are pre heating/baking.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:07 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Cook as much as you can with pork fat.

That'll keep them well seasoned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink