U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:45 PM

7,625 posts, read 13,985,586 times

Advertisements

OK....we are SERIOUS foodies, but working 10 hour days, I often "grab" something to drag home for dinner because I am just too tired to cook.

Love the slow cooker, but working 10's it is just too long to let something "sit" and cook for 11 1/2 hours when considering drive time.

Saw the infomercial for the Power Pressure Cooker Pro XL...and it looked intriguing (and to be totally honest, I am VERY taken with "kitchen gadgets")....anyway, after cooking 3 meals in this item, I WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT FOR ANYONE THAT WANTS TO EAT AT HOME VS EATING OUT AFTER WORK!!!!

OMG! Bought a large package of "stew meat" at Costco.....$16.00 for a little over 4 lbs. Made both beef stroganoff with 1/2 of it and chili with beans with the other 1/2, each in ONE pot, a total of less than 30 minutes (altho I did soak the hard, dry beans while at work and just rinsed and cooked once I got home). The stroganoff was in 10 minutes, with the BEST beef ever!!!

I also took a package of FROZEN chicken thighs, threw them in with seasoning and broth, and cooked for 30 minutes (20 if not frozen)....AMAZINGLY GOOD!!!

The down side is I ordered the item and it took 2 months to get here (guess they are backlogged), but WOW...so very worth the wait!!!! At my age (closing in on 60) and with my cooking experience (LOTS and LOTS) I would recommend this to ANYONE who wants to control what they eat and eat at home vs out/take out that is in a bind for time once they get home. I think I would FIGHT YOU over this machine right now if you tried to take it from me. I plan on "prepping" meals on the weekend to throw in the freezer and then cook during the week to help eliminate the cost/calories/additives of "take out" food.

PS...we hardly ever eat out during the week, just too tired at the end of the day to get cleaned up and go back out to wait an hour or so to be seated...but I am AWFUL about "grabbing something to drag home" during the week. Just as costly, just as many "unknown" ingredients and just as calorie ladened.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 03:13 PM

114,037 posts, read 52,362,745 times
Sounds great Paka! A friend of my wife bought her a microwavable pressure cooker a year or two ago. Works great on rice and stuff...hasn't tried meats yet. Her friend now says she has a rectangular brown one that will even brown meat. We should try the one you speak of but our pantry is too full of gadgets already. Usually we're not that rushed to cook either.

Sistema 2.75 Quart Microwave Multicooker ? QVC.com

I think this is the one you speak of...

Power Pressure Cooker XL™

Old 07-07-2014, 03:42 PM

Power Pressure Cooker XL™

This is the one I speak of, and while I have no experiences with the others, I see LOTS of my "kitchen gadgets" getting passed down to the kids for this one. It sautees, stews, pressure cooks, slow cooks, does rice....LOTS of things I have a multitude of different gadgets for....I am REALLY impressed, but like I said, only have made 3 meals with it so far. As I become "proficient" with the different ways to use it, see LOTS of stuff on my shelf going out to the kiddos for use if it works as well as it does for quick, tender meat cooking!

Again, the shipping time SUCKED and everyone of the "bad" reviews I have read were all the same complaint, so maybe buying from Amazon would be easier to get it in a timely manner...and hopefully they have their "inventory" caught up and that won't be a problem for others, but I can honestly say....WELL WORTH THE WAIT!

Old 07-07-2014, 06:15 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,517,515 times
I'm nervous around pressure cookers, ever since one exploded and scalded the poor dog when I was a kid. Her fur never grew back, poor baby.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:33 PM

4,478 posts, read 6,349,418 times
Sounds so good, Paka! Although I , like the previous poster , am afraid of pressure cookers.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:50 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
We have a Fagor multifunction cooker, which we most often use as a pressure cooker.

No need to fear modern pressure cookers; they have multiple safeguards and will not come to pressure if the lid's not properly fastened. I can't vouch for grandma's now-antique, though.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:05 PM

9,164 posts, read 16,515,249 times
My mom used a pressure cooker for as long as I can remember -- at least 30 years. She used it regularly for roasts, cheaper cuts of steak such as swiss steak (round), stews, canning, etc. My ex used one too. I always liked the food from it because it was tender. Obviously, it was also quick to cook. So I bought my wife one. She's used it a few times but is afraid of it (might explode). Since my mom (or ex) never taught me anything about pressure cooker food prep, I don't know anything about them either. So it sets in the basement....

Old 07-07-2014, 08:28 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
My mom used a pressure cooker for as long as I can remember -- at least 30 years. She used it regularly for roasts, cheaper cuts of steak such as swiss steak (round), stews, canning, etc. My ex used one too. I always liked the food from it because it was tender. Obviously, it was also quick to cook. So I bought my wife one. She's used it a few times but is afraid of it (might explode). Since my mom (or ex) never taught me anything about pressure cooker food prep, I don't know anything about them either. So it sets in the basement....
Pressure cooking is really easy. Basically, you need the food - meat is easy - plus enough liquid to create steam, which creates the pressure. You need the bits of the pressure cooker top to be clean, and you need a good gasket. Make sure you know how to lock yours closed. If you google pressure cooker times, or recipes for whatever you're cooking, you can easily cook lovely tender meals. On the rare occasion that we have rice, I cook it in the pressure cooker (white rice, a little salt, twice as much water as rice, under pressure for six minutes).

Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 PM

I was with you guys...afraid of that "pressure" part, and opted for this because you plug it in like a slowcooker and do not place it on the stove where you can not control the pressure without "education" because of the heat generated. This one has a thermostat to control the pressure, PLUS 2 different safety valves AND an auto cut off should the pressure somehow build beyond what it should for the amt of liquid needed inside...those are the features that got me to try it....

You are right, to have juicy, tender meat from meat that normally dries out or take a long time to cook is AWESOME to be able to prepare so darn quickly!!!

Old 09-13-2014, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 24,648 times
Thumbs up Power Pressure cooker XL

I am also afraid of a pressure cooker, however I have had and used them in the past. I bought this particular brand because of the appearance of the ease and safety of its use. Got my cooker in about two weeks. From Kohls. I have used it twice and I am so in love with it....it is great I was terrified when I "tested" it out but everything went very smoothly and I cooked a roast YUMMMMMMM. Next was frozen chicken quarters...put in a little water and some BBQ sauce and presto..(no pun intended lol) perfect chicken....I can't wait to do more things with it. I am going to cans some tomatoes tomorrow...Best buy I 've made in a long while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or