U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-07-2014, 10:50 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Reputation: 26064

Advertisements

Tonight I am eating a snack inspired by the cookbook Afro-vegan. Some melons with basil, cayenne pepper syrup, lemon juice and some salt.

I remember when I heard about the Mexican fruit in a stick with chile powder and lime, I thought: weird. When I tried it, it was yummy.

So how do you feel about eating your fruits with a little bit (or a lot) of heat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,346,257 times
Reputation: 7087
I have never tried it but I have had salt on fruits before.

I've got a bit of watermelon in the frig; maybe, I'll try adding a little kick of cayenne and see if I like the addition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 PM
 
13,730 posts, read 22,887,366 times
Reputation: 18592
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Tonight I am eating a snack inspired by the cookbook Afro-vegan. Some melons with basil, cayenne pepper syrup, lemon juice and some salt.

I remember when I heard about the Mexican fruit in a stick with chile powder and lime, I thought: weird. When I tried it, it was yummy.

So how do you feel about eating your fruits with a little bit (or a lot) of heat?

There are a lot of people who use a mild chili powder on sweet melon. My Pakistani friends would do it all the time. They gave me a taste and it was pretty good.

I am more partial toward cinnamon and nutmeg with fruits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Reputation: 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I have never tried it but I have had salt on fruits before.

I've got a bit of watermelon in the frig; maybe, I'll try adding a little kick of cayenne and see if I like the addition.
I like salt, lime and cayenne on watermelon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Alaska
4,946 posts, read 4,346,257 times
Reputation: 7087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I like salt, lime and cayenne on watermelon!
I tried salt and it was just okay. Next, a pinch of cayenne. I don't usually buy limes but almost always have a lemon on hand, maybe I'll try a squeeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2014, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,228,340 times
Reputation: 1268
In India there's a snack of dried mango with salt and powdered hot peppers. I love it. Trader Joe's also sells a version of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
26,905 posts, read 28,233,136 times
Reputation: 26064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
I tried salt and it was just okay. Next, a pinch of cayenne. I don't usually buy limes but almost always have a lemon on hand, maybe I'll try a squeeze.
Personally I like salt on honeydew or cantaloupe more than watermelon. . My sister salts the watermelon only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top