U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:38 PM
 
4,367 posts, read 4,861,276 times
Reputation: 2047

Advertisements

I bought several bottles of the same honey (labeled as raw honey), but one bottle is very strange. It's not as liquid as the others, but all like sugar crystals, a whole bottle of sugar paste, extra thick, even in warm (summer) room temperature. What's going on? Is honey supposed to be like this sometimes, or it's not pure and are composed of cane sugar? (it's like cane sugar paste) All the other bottles are normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,155 posts, read 38,236,149 times
Reputation: 26648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I bought several bottles of the same honey (labeled as raw honey), but one bottle is very strange. It's not as liquid as the others, but all like sugar crystals, a whole bottle of sugar paste, extra thick, even in warm (summer) room temperature. What's going on? Is honey supposed to be like this sometimes, or it's not pure and are composed of cane sugar? (it's like cane sugar paste) All the other bottles are normal.
Although IIRC I have seen some who advise against it it seems most are OK with de-crystallizing honey.


How to Decrystallize Honey: 11 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 PM
 
4,367 posts, read 4,861,276 times
Reputation: 2047
But what caused it? I kept all of them the same way, first in the refrigerator when not opened, then out on the counter. Why this particular bottle? (and do I know if it's not cane sugar?)

Btw, it doesn't look like in the pictures you linked. It's complete ultra thick crystal paste, like when you put a lot of cane sugar in a jar then pour some water, but not enough water, so they don't melt but just become sticky paste. The crystals are very obvious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:08 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
54,155 posts, read 38,236,149 times
Reputation: 26648
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
But what caused it? I kept all of them the same way, first in the refrigerator when not opened, then out on the counter. Why this particular bottle? (and do I know if it's not cane sugar?)

Btw, it doesn't look like in the pictures you linked. It's complete ultra thick crystal paste, like when you put a lot of cane sugar in a jar then pour some water, but not enough water, so they don't melt but just become sticky paste. The crystals are very obvious.

While not bought at the same time I've had the exact same brand of honey react entirely differently to the same storage conditions. Just a gas but given how honey is produced I'd think there are chemical variations between different hives, batches, etc.. My guess is it doesn't take very much variation in sugar content for crystallization to occur in some batches and not others. I do recall reading that honey never actually goes bad, that there has been some recovered that was thousands of years old and was still edible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 03:10 PM
 
1,931 posts, read 1,160,023 times
Reputation: 9150
That happens to honey sometimes. Honey is actually naturally crystallized in the hive.

From what I've read, it has to do with temperature and the glucose vs. fructose levels... basically stemming from what the bees ate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 04:33 PM
 
4,367 posts, read 4,861,276 times
Reputation: 2047
Thanks both. I just did a lot more search and confirms what you said. Seems honey that crystalizes may be even better, because it may be purer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
 
3,595 posts, read 3,575,545 times
Reputation: 4957
Is it unfiltered/raw honey? If it is unfiltered it may have pollen in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 07:20 PM
 
Location: Western Oregon
1,379 posts, read 1,226,156 times
Reputation: 1268
If it gets cold, it is a lot more likely to crystallize. Once it crystallizes, it tends to stay that way.
Chances are there's nothing bad about that bottle of honey.

Heat it up in warm water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:33 PM
 
4,367 posts, read 4,861,276 times
Reputation: 2047
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
Thanks both. I just did a lot more search and confirms what you said. Seems honey that crystalizes may be even better, because it may be purer.
I meant to write "I just did a little more search"... not a lot at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Is it unfiltered/raw honey? If it is unfiltered it may have pollen in it.
Yes, organic raw honey, not sure if filtered or not. Main thing is (as said above), this is the only bottle with this problem---however, it's also the last bottle, so it had stayed in the refrigerator for longer; maybe that explains it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
If it gets cold, it is a lot more likely to crystallize. Once it crystallizes, it tends to stay that way.
Chances are there's nothing bad about that bottle of honey.

Heat it up in warm water.
Thanks. Actually, I don't mind the paste form. It's easier to use spoon without dripping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2014, 09:50 PM
 
374 posts, read 387,733 times
Reputation: 886
All honey will eventually crystallize (there's only a few i that won't) raw honey will crystallize much quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top