U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 AM

28,166 posts, read 43,444,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I second that. I mean, it's a freakin' cupcake, no matter what kind of stuff you put on it. These cupcakes were $5.00 and up a piece; not something you're going to go buy on a regular basis.

That cupcake contest show on the Food Network is so laughable, I can't even watch it. A group of grown people sitting there judging these little cupcakes like they are something really profound and serious, like judging fine wine.....get real
Hey, I love that show! I don't get all pretentious about it, just enjoy seeing the different creations they come up with... and trust me, you'd change your tune if you tried that shop (and flavors) I mentioned above. They're not $5, either, more like $3.50 with discounts for larger quantities.

Sure, it's not an every day thing - but what baked goods, other than maybe bread, really are? It's supposed to be a TREAT, but in a place like the Bay Area or NYC, they still get enough occasional customers to stay alive. As I said, the good shops here still seem to be doing quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 AM

267 posts, read 269,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Adam Hartung from Forbes had an exceptional piece on the Crumbs failure.

Basically, management failed to anticipate the changing public taste for food items, especially sweets. I remember Krispy Kreme when it first expanded across the country, there were huge lines everywhere for their donuts. Then people got tired of it, and KK crashed. I think it's made a comeback not too long ago though.

Expansion probably didn't help either.

I do like what Adam says about the concept of business owners and passion. There's this belief that passion alone is what will make people succeed in business. Yet that same passion is what creates business owners to blindly run their businesses to the ground, as they fail to anticipate changing trends and tastes (hubris).

KK doughtnuts are horrible i never understood the appeal a local owned bakery always blows kk away

Old 07-10-2014, 06:05 AM

313 posts, read 358,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
Pies also seem to be the new "in" thing now, also.
That's interesting about "pie" - must not be much with pie going on in my area, will do some research!

Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 AM

3,221 posts, read 2,692,801 times
There is cupcake place near where I went to school. She was a contestant on the cupcake wars and charges an obscene amount of money. They weren't bad... but I would never go back. They're just as good from a grocery store.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:26 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,255,143 times
We don't have any Crumbs stores around here but over the past few years we've still had a bunch of cupcake places opening up. I have no idea where it came from and I never understood why it seemed we needed so many cupcake shops so close together. Did they think they would be like ice cream parlors and people would just go there on a Sunday afternoon or after dinner with friends or something? There are a lot of examples of companies expanding too much and going out of business or having to close a lot of stores because of it. And a lot of these cupcakes from what I've seen are expensive.

Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 AM

898 posts, read 1,304,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Yes,yes, yes, where did they all go (other than the bakery section in grocery stores)?

When did they become unpopular? Love pies, make great pies all from scratch and no canned filling.
I've seen pie shops popping up all over here. Like someone else mentioned, pretty soon we'll have "Pie Wars" and other shows on TV.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 AM

99 posts, read 104,093 times
Default Cupcakes

Those specialty shops are ridiculous. Who would pay $4+ for a cupcake? No thanks. I'll buy myself a box of devils food cake mix and a container of chocolate frosting for $3 and have 12 cupcakes and enjoy every last bite of them

Old 07-10-2014, 11:46 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Some mentioned Krispy Kreme donuts....I never cared for them. What I thought was interesting was when
KK opened across Cafe Du Monde which has been making their beignets for 150 years (and has great
coffee). The people of New Orleans were loyal and KK lasted less than a year.

Old 07-10-2014, 12:35 PM

18,236 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Guess am rather old fashioned. When one wants cake or even cupcakes simply head to the kitchen and bake them myself. Ditto for muffins and other baked goods.

One shouldn't eat that much carbs on a daily basis anyway and especially those such as cakes and cupcakes loaded with sugar and piled with more such as icings and toppings.

In general the baked goods sector is suffering in many parts of the USA as consumers are eating healthier. This should come as no surprise as persons from Obama's wife to the now former mayor of NYC (Bloomberg) have made it their life's work to attack poor eating habits. The hate from various levels of government against trans fats in particular puts a sharp focus on baked goods.

As anyone who bakes can tell you with some exceptions cakes require some sort of shortening and or fat. This can be butter, lard or "Crisco". Over the years since it's introduction partially hydrogenated trans fats became the shortening of choice for both home and consumer baked goods.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM

26,867 posts, read 28,137,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Pie in small amounts especially rhubarb or berry is actually half the calories of those cupcakes, most which are topped in inch thick shortening based frosting.
Good cupcakes use butter and cream for icing! No wonder so many suck. Shortening? Gross!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I haven't found any good bakery cupcakes in a long time! Most seem overly sweet to me.

I make my own and freeze them without icing. When I want a couple, I thaw them in the microwave or overnight on the counter.
The frosting is the best part!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I have seen the prices for cupcakes and at first it is shocking, but then you keep seeing the same prices and you just think that is the going rate for a cupcake. People lose sense after a while and they don't think or realize that for the same money they could go home and bake themselves a dozen similar, maybe even better, cupcakes. Okay, maybe they won't be that pretty looking, but usually I place visual aesthetics lower down the priority list, than taste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefan View Post
Those specialty shops are ridiculous. Who would pay $4+ for a cupcake? No thanks. I'll buy myself a box of devils food cake mix and a container of chocolate frosting for $3 and have 12 cupcakes and enjoy every last bite of them
I live by myself. Buying cupcakes once in a while is better than making a dozen and having half go bad! My sister doesn't like the same sort of cupcakes I do so I can't share. I didn't work at an office for 3 years, so I couldn't do the pawn off on my coworkers trick.

I don't like to bake anyway. I don't cook things that require exacting measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's probably the issue, because the GOOD shops around here are still thriving, even with charging $3-4/piece. We actually have two "Cupcake Wars" winners in the South Bay - Frost in Campbell and Kara's in San Jose (+ a few other locations). The latter is just alright IMO, but Frost is freaking amazing. If you're ever in the area, go and try their "cookies or dough?" and sugar cookie cupcakes... out of this world, seriously.

http://www.frostcupcakefactory.com/ (OMG, they added a bubblegum cake? *drool*)

For me, the cupcake "craze" will never be over. It never really had to start, actually, since they've always been one of my favorite sweet treats. And boy, do I have a sweet tooth.
The Cupkates truck is awesome. Smores cupcake for the win!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or