U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 11:32 PM

11,856 posts, read 7,797,575 times

Advertisements

Starbucks tried the lollipop cake and it flopped so it's no longer available. People would much rather buy slices of cakes.

Cupcakes are simply a fad, cupcakes are really for kids,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 12:55 AM

26,951 posts, read 28,331,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Starbucks tried the lollipop cake and it flopped so it's no longer available. People would much rather buy slices of cakes.

Cupcakes are simply a fad, cupcakes are really for kids,.
The Starbucks cake pops were gross. Really sugary and under baked. And under baked starbucks cake batter is nothing like chocolate chip cookie dough!

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 AM

8,623 posts, read 5,937,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
$5 for a cupcake = absurd price point. Rapid brick and mortar expansion while selling nothing but $5 cupcakes (or that other $42 monstrosity) = bad business model. It's all based on a novelty that most customers won't care about after a 1st time buy.

The Starbuck's across the street baffles me as well.

You can get a large cup of great coffee at McDonald's for $1 with all the cream and sugar you want. You can even get refills. Do you want a good cup of coffee or a frufru drink? I don't like DD but Einstein Bros is cool as they let you sit and drink as much Joe as you can hold. They have different flavors to make it interesting.
7-11 will do but it has to be the strong stuff.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,119,691 times
I've tried the 'designer cupcakes' here in Houston. They are good but most are not worth 4-5$ a piece compared to supermarket or regular bakery cupcakes IMHO. Yes you can get cool flavors like 'Snickerdoodle' and the like. But I'd use them more for a special occasion...and a regular bakery could do them if you made an advanced request.

Sometimes I just wonder if its a working hobby for trust fund or early retirement gay men.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:30 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,332,077 times
We have a locally owned cupcake shop in my town (they won an episode of "Cupcake Wars" a couple years ago) and they are still doing quite well. They are active in the local community and, as such, do more than just sell cupcakes. The result is that they have a loyal local following and frequently sell out by day's end.

And their cupcakes are FANTASTIC.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,773,730 times
I've never purchased one at a cupcake bakery that was any good. All were dry and lacked flavor. Fancy names and fancy decorations...that was it.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:23 AM

1,993 posts, read 2,317,510 times
Not many want to buy $5 cupcakes on a regular basis. Even if the price agrees with you it's unlikely one can afford the calories.

I did hear that Marcus Lemonis (The Profit) is possibly getting involved with trying to save Crumbs.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:16 AM

1,459 posts, read 2,133,059 times
I guess most people are either cake people, or pie/fruit pastry people. I am most firmly in the latter camp, and have never understood the cupcake craze or the general degeneration of the state of pie baking. When I moved to Philly, I felt as if I was in the middle of pie wasteland. Nothing but cakes and cannolis everywhere, but no flaky pastry, good curds or berry fillings anywhere.

The trend towards pie bakeries is encouraging to me, though, as many people will experience their first flaky butter and lard crusts (light years away from grocery store abominations) and fresh fruit fillings. Maybe once they've had it, they'll demand better, or do it themselves at home.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 AM

8,876 posts, read 8,227,549 times
In Pittsburgh, we only have one cupcake bakery left. The more popular of the other two only charged $2.50, but they did not use shortening in the frosting, as someone upthread suggested. Even so, I would usually scrape most of the frosting off. I like cake.

The cupcake bakeries here were useful because before they came into existence, you could only buy supermarket superchemical cakes with Crisco frosting. The cupcake bakeries were the antidote to that, and even though they're mostly gone, other bakeries have started making real cake.

I like chocolate ganache and lemon curd much more than any kind of buttercream, no matter how fine its ingredients happen to be. Too much sugar just tastes like too much sugar.

R.I.P. Dozen

Old 07-11-2014, 05:08 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,589,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I guess most people are either cake people, or pie/fruit pastry people. I am most firmly in the latter camp, and have never understood the cupcake craze or the general degeneration of the state of pie baking. When I moved to Philly, I felt as if I was in the middle of pie wasteland. Nothing but cakes and cannolis everywhere, but no flaky pastry, good curds or berry fillings anywhere.

The trend towards pie bakeries is encouraging to me, though, as many people will experience their first flaky butter and lard crusts (light years away from grocery store abominations) and fresh fruit fillings. Maybe once they've had it, they'll demand better, or do it themselves at home.
Yep, I'm a pie/fruit gal.
You can find coconut crème pies, chocolate pies, all kinds of custards and meringues, but finding a peach pie is like finding a needle in a huge stack of other identical needles.
I'm jonesing for peach pie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or