Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 06:26 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times

Advertisements

I never had a Crumbs cupcake. I really don't care for that pile of icing they put on these gourmet cupcakes.
I also think these cupcakes are expensive. For a special treat it is ok but once the novelty wears off the cost alone I can see why these bake shops close.
I like frozen yogurt but it seems there are so many self serve ones popping up and I wonder if this will also be a fad and we will see more closing. The self serve yogurt adds up price wise too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 06:59 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Great, now we'll have "Pie Wars" and pie shops popping up with cutesey wootsey names on them, oh like maybe "Pie in the Sky" ( I apologize if there really is one).
We've got a spot called Pietisserie.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
I think people will always love cupcakes because they are delicious (usually), portable, and pretty to look at, but I think the craze has gone down some. Now, I see a lot of those delicate and colorful French macaroons and whoopie pies around. Anyone could make a decent cupcake at home, which is probably why bakeries that specialize only in cupcakes are closing down, but have you ever tried to make French macaroons at home? It's the same as working with filo dough - a nightmare that you will always remember.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:39 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
$5 for a cupcake = absurd price point. Rapid brick and mortar expansion while selling nothing but $5 cupcakes (or that other $42 monstrosity) = bad business model. It's all based on a novelty that most customers won't care about after a 1st time buy.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Default $5.00 cupcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
$5 for a cupcake = absurd price point. Rapid brick and mortar expansion while selling nothing but $5 cupcakes (or that other $42 monstrosity) = bad business model. It's all based on a novelty that most customers won't care about after a 1st time buy.
I have seen the prices for cupcakes and at first it is shocking, but then you keep seeing the same prices and you just think that is the going rate for a cupcake. People lose sense after a while and they don't think or realize that for the same money they could go home and bake themselves a dozen similar, maybe even better, cupcakes. Okay, maybe they won't be that pretty looking, but usually I place visual aesthetics lower down the priority list, than taste.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
We've got a spot called Pietisserie.
The Pillsbury Company noticed a restaurant in Iowa called Mrs C's and early in the 1970's they bought Mrs.
C's and named it Poppin Fresh Pies. Bakers Square purchased Poppin Fresh in 1983. They do have a great
Triple Berry Pie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kNnKLc2TIU

Old 07-09-2014, 10:02 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,177,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I have seen the prices for cupcakes and at first it is shocking, but then you keep seeing the same prices and you just think that is the going rate for a cupcake. People lose sense after a while and they don't think or realize that for the same money they could go home and bake themselves a dozen similar, maybe even better, cupcakes. Okay, maybe they won't be that pretty looking, but usually I place visual aesthetics lower down the priority list, than taste.
My point: not too many people will make a regular habit out of buying $5 cupcakes. It just won't happen when there are so many other options out there. And, when you base your ENTIRE business model on a product with little more than novelty as the appeal, you're business is likely doomed from the start. People can buy 'regular' cupcakes generally anywhere and for much less money. A dozen doughnuts is $8, tops. A dozen bagels w/ 'schmear' is about $10. A dozen Crumbs cupcakes is $60. I don't know about you, but I know what people are bringing into my office.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:12 PM

624 posts, read 763,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Krispy Kreme is still very popular in the South.
I had them as a kid in the 1960's, they tasted amazing. As an adult, trying them again after their expansion, not so much.

Not sure if it was them or me that changed

Old 07-10-2014, 01:58 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've had Crumbs cupcakes. They were nothing special.
That's probably the issue, because the GOOD shops around here are still thriving, even with charging $3-4/piece. We actually have two "Cupcake Wars" winners in the South Bay - Frost in Campbell and Kara's in San Jose (+ a few other locations). The latter is just alright IMO, but Frost is freaking amazing. If you're ever in the area, go and try their "cookies or dough?" and sugar cookie cupcakes... out of this world, seriously.

http://www.frostcupcakefactory.com/ (OMG, they added a bubblegum cake? *drool*)

For me, the cupcake "craze" will never be over. It never really had to start, actually, since they've always been one of my favorite sweet treats. And boy, do I have a sweet tooth.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Just wanted to add, as with any "food craze" (or any trends), there will be a surge of businesses in its peak - but eventually only the good ones will remain. I doubt that every cupcake shop will close anytime soon, you'll just see the number of shops dwindling now. Same with food trucks, as I've noticed the best ones are still busy as the trend is dying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink