U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:50 PM

38,422 posts, read 18,177,990 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1950's I lived in Cincinnati and White Castle burgers were popular.....I have only seen them in the freezer section of the supermarket and I don't expect them to be very good.

One time I looked up the copy cat recipe for white castle burgers and was surprised (not in a good way) to see the mystery ingredient was a jar of baby food ground liver.....or ground chicken liver. Another recipe calls for a little peanut butter added to the meat.

I remember the fried onions for them were rehydrated dry onions--fried on the grill; the burgers are thin and square and have little holes in them for quick cooking. They really steam not fry on top of a layer of wet rehydrated onions....part of their distinctive taste too. I remember the burgers were often semi frozen when placed on the grill on top of the wet onions....they cooked fast.

Last edited by elston; 07-09-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 03:21 PM

2,967 posts, read 3,953,632 times
White Castle has the best fried clam strips. Now that I moved south, I go to Krystal's and they have some amazing chili cheese fries that I order with the waffle fries; the chili sauce is amazing. I really miss my clam strips from WC up north though.

I cant even be a round my husband for 24 hours after he eats sliders. He fumigates every room he walks into...Sliders produce a very distinct "perfume" after-affect.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:41 PM

179 posts, read 168,818 times
I've eaten White Castle and Krystal burgers. Hands down WC burgers were better. I don't eat them much anymore. The local Krystals charges $1.05 for a cheeseburger. Not a lot of value in my opinion for what you get.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
they were called sliders at white castle in the 1980s
They were called sliders back in the 60's in Chicago.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:47 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,086,141 times
White Castle lover here! Krystal's is just a poor knock off version.....some of the items like the fried clams that White Castle has on their menu Krystal's doesn't have.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:16 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
White Castle's uses a 100% ground beef patties, not what some ridiculous "copycat" website claims.

My biggest objection to White Castle's is that the cost has been increased up to 60 cents which is a poor value.

I never really liked Krystal's however, the quality is so variable. Some of the stores in Eastern Tennessee are pretty good but the stores in Nashville are pathetic.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times
When I was going up in Broward County, Florida, near Fort Lauderdale we had Royal Castle. Those little square hamburger were so delicious!

Also, the beverage of choice was not Root Beer, but something called Birch Beer ... but it was very similar to root beer. They served it in a huge frosty mug.

Honestly, White Castle, Royal Castle and Krystal all taste the same (more or less) to me.

It was a great delight to me when I was vacationing in St. Pete, FL to stop at a Krystal in Bradenton, FL and order a sack of those burgers.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 PM

904 posts, read 813,703 times
White Castle frozen don't compare at all to fresh White Castle!

Good enough to make a movie about them

Old 07-10-2014, 12:54 AM

5,037 posts, read 7,443,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I bought White Castle hamburgers in the Chicago area in the late fifties and early sixties. At the time they cost eleven cents.
If you go back far enough, (thru the 1940's), they were a nickel.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:00 AM

267 posts, read 269,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Krystal is the only one I ever knew--they've been in the Southeast for at least 80 years. Unfortunately, I haven't been anywhere near one in many years. We grew up on sacks of Krystal's .
I've only seen White Castles in the frozen section of the grocery store. I think that chain was "up north".They're a sad imitation of a fresh Krystal, though. I'm not familiar with the other chains.

white castle is not the same in the past they were great!!!! now the burger meat is cut rate but their chicken rings and fish nuggets are great.. krystal burgers are no good either compared to the 70's but their chicken sandwiches are great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink