U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2014, 09:18 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,763,332 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid growing up I really loved these small hamburgers that were square thin patties with chopped onions and pickles on square rolls. They were cheap and you could buy them "by the sack."

In many parts of the country the fast food places that served were called White Castle or White Tower. In South Florida where I grew up they were called Royal Castle. Recently on vacation I had some at a place called Krystal.

I still love them. It was heaven to re-discover them. The soft bread rolls literally melts in your mouth, and the burgers, while small and very thin are so tasty!

Anyone else out there a fan of these? Do you have one of these restaurants in your area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 09:48 PM

2,813 posts, read 4,310,305 times
Krystal is the only one I ever knew--they've been in the Southeast for at least 80 years. Unfortunately, I haven't been anywhere near one in many years. We grew up on sacks of Krystal's .
I've only seen White Castles in the frozen section of the grocery store. I think that chain was "up north".They're a sad imitation of a fresh Krystal, though. I'm not familiar with the other chains.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:54 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,153,023 times
They are called sliders.

I am a Krystal's fan being that I am born and raised deep south. I've had White Castle but it isn't as good to me. I think that I've had the Royal Castle in freezer form. They were just fine.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:34 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,221,661 times
We don't have Krystal's here in texas but, it's all along I 10 to Florida. I forgot how it taste.
I ll be in Florida next week. I ll remember to give it another try.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:59 AM

9,184 posts, read 10,125,866 times
I bought White Castle hamburgers in the Chicago area in the late fifties and early sixties. At the time they cost eleven cents. It was common to buy a dollar's worth for a light meal. I bought them on an Amtrak train at the snack bar about fifteen years ago. They're still in the Chicago area and there are many, many locations in New York City. So the next time you visit your uncle you can have a dozen.

I really almost hate to admit it, but I do like them.

''The success of White Castle led to numerous imitators. Restaurants copied the distinctive architecture of White Castle buildings, as well as created confusion for consumers by using a similar name. The first of these imitators in Wichita was Little Kastle. Many competitors created their names with a play on the White Castle name. Some restaurant chains just replaced the word "Castle" with their own word (Cabin, Cap, Clock, Crescent, Diamond, Dome, Fortress, Grille, House, Hut, Kitchen, Knight, Log, Manna, Mill, Palace, Plaza, Shop, Spot, Tavern, Tower, Turret, Wonder), while others chose to replace "White" with another (Blue, King's, Little, Magic, Modern, Prince's, Red, Royal, Silver). Some of the other imitators included Castle Blanca, Blue Beacon, Blue Bell, Blue Tower, Red Barn, Red Lantern and Klover Kastle. Despite all the competition, none of the competitors were able to match the success of White Castle.''

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Castle_(restaurant)

Sliders, Cheeseburgers, Chicken Sliders & More | White Castle

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 07-09-2014 at 06:35 AM..

Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 AM

54,145 posts, read 38,214,111 times
This was one of my favorites when I worked in the area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9RRsUbDV0U

Old 07-09-2014, 07:07 AM

693 posts, read 746,663 times
White Castle is great, but not worth the 2 hour drive to get them. I buy the frozen ones and enjoy them, but not the same as fresh. I was introduced to Krystal when I moved to South Alabama for a year. I loved that place. Whenever I am back down south, I always make a Krystal stop.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:10 AM

441 posts, read 359,059 times
We have quite a few White Castle's in the Twin Cities...and I LOVE them. Just had it last weekend, AAMOF. Their fries are the best fast food fries...IMO.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,562,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I bought White Castle hamburgers in the Chicago area in the late fifties and early sixties. At the time they cost eleven cents. It was common to buy a dollar's worth for a light meal. I bought them on an Amtrak train at the snack bar about fifteen years ago. They're still in the Chicago area and there are many, many locations in New York City. So the next time you visit your uncle you can have a dozen.

I really almost hate to admit it, but I do like them.
I have to admit every now and then, I do get a craving for them. btw, although the company started
in Kansas, the white castle style buildings were inspired by Chicago's Water Tower.

Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,533,769 times
I went to White Castle for the first time a couple years ago during a business trip to Cincinnati. I liked their burgers, but my digestive track didn't.

There aren't any White Castles or Krystals in my state, so I don't really give them much thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink