U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM

9,209 posts, read 10,191,240 times

Advertisements

Start here.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1 - Kindle edition by Julia Child, Louisette Bertholle, Simone Beck, Sidonie Coryn. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 2: 002 - Kindle edition by Julia Child, Sidonie Coryn. Cookbooks, Food & Wine Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

There are a number of items on youtube as well. The books cover everything from selecting cookware to ppreparing generally simple but wonderful dishes. Turn your next meal of scrambled eggs into one of the best meals of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM

11,122 posts, read 11,535,257 times
Grills are generally too hot for fish, which is very delicate and needs to be cooked under 250 degrees. However, I have had grilled blackened catfish that was pretty good, albeit over-cooked.

For sauces, there are great recipes online. Don't trust any cocktail sauce that doesn't contain hot horseradish, or any tartar sauce that doesn't contain capers.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:56 PM

125 posts, read 121,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Grills are generally too hot for fish, which is very delicate and needs to be cooked under 250 degrees. However, I have had grilled blackened catfish that was pretty good, albeit over-cooked.

For sauces, there are great recipes online. Don't trust any cocktail sauce that doesn't contain hot horseradish, or any tartar sauce that doesn't contain capers.

I make my own Tartar sauce. As for the fish temp, I prefer to sear and that is usually in the 350 degree area.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM

11,791 posts, read 16,546,162 times
Can't sell fish if I were to give it away. chicken and garden veggies tonight. Hopefully the limes are ripe.
How about lunch for 35 on a $5 budget with a 4burner stove, sink and fridge? And they are picky eaters at 110F.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 PM

26,921 posts, read 28,270,165 times
This book has some awesome recipes:
The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa: Marcus Samuelsson: 9780764569111: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-10-2014, 07:35 PM

10,453 posts, read 7,543,469 times
I just found a blackberry bbq sauce I plan on making tomorrow.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:52 PM

12,448 posts, read 10,191,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I just found a blackberry bbq sauce I plan on making tomorrow.
I make some blackberry sauces - one of them to glaze Cornish Game Hens. I like to use seedless preserves or jelly - those crunchy seeds can be a nuisance.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:40 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,229,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
I think it's kind of odd that you consider your style of food "real" food, as if that's the only kind that's "real".

Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 AM

26,921 posts, read 28,270,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am not talking about "plain" food and I would never ruin a perfectly good meatloaf with a smear of Catsup on top and Thursdays is NOT meatloaf night. Not that it is any of your concern but I do not make specific meals on specific nights and I rarely make a meatloaf anyway.

I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
Fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, as in nothing processed, packaged, dated, boxed or has to be covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor.

I doubt you will ever understand what I mean though so carry on and enjoy you "gourmet" whatever you want to call it.
I don't think we have the same definition of "real food." I grew up eating lots of rice. So I had things that paired well with rice growing up, some sauced some not. My own cooking style is very much "california cuisine." I grab seasonal ingredients and remix it with "ethnic" influences. My own or other peoples. It feels real to me. And on some days it even looks gourmet, but I don't typically make time intensive recipes.

Alfredo, whipped cream? I can make these, but I don't have them enough to care about perfecting them. Not in my standard diet. Mayo, I don't like it. Butter, it is far more time efficient to by a tasty one made with local milk, I probably won't try to make that until I am retired. But maybe i'll get around to making my own yogurt.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:30 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,480,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Can't sell fish if I were to give it away. chicken and garden veggies tonight. Hopefully the limes are ripe.
How about lunch for 35 on a $5 budget with a 4burner stove, sink and fridge? And they are picky eaters at 110F.
You need an outdoor grill :-)

Or at least an oven.

I did a 20 person five-course dinner as part of the Slow Food $5 Challenge back in 2011. Spent $98 and change on all the ingredients. This was the menu:

Salad Iced Watermelon with Microgreens

Soup Carrot-Mint with Herbed Crouton

Appetizer Seitan Mole Poblano, Pico de Gallo, Jicama Carrot Slaw

Entrée Slow-cooked Herbed Roast Pork, Potato-Basil Pureé, Roasted Beet/Fennel/Apple Medley

Dessert Zucchini Pound Cake, Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or