Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 02:25 PM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
You need an outdoor grill :-)

Or at least an oven.

I did a 20 person five-course dinner as part of the Slow Food $5 Challenge back in 2011. Spent $98 and change on all the ingredients. This was the menu:

Salad Iced Watermelon with Microgreens

Soup Carrot-Mint with Herbed Crouton

Appetizer Seitan Mole Poblano, Pico de Gallo, Jicama Carrot Slaw

Entrée Slow-cooked Herbed Roast Pork, Potato-Basil Pureé, Roasted Beet/Fennel/Apple Medley

Dessert Zucchini Pound Cake, Sweet Corn Ice Cream
Thank you so much. Would you mind to share the recipes for the appetizer?

This is the scenario: 25-50 tired, sweaty, hungry SASS shooters, very rustic setting on the prairie 50 miles from nothing, today around 105F. Service has to be fast, as little cutting as possible (plastic ware and some eat standing up because they cannot sit comfortable in their costumes!). The current cook offers canned beans, chili, hamburgers, hot dogs or occasionally sandwiches. I do not mind major prep work on Friday.

Tomorrow: Beef Chili cupcakes (along this line but with local hot chilies and no beans Biscuit Bowl Chili Recipe | Taste of Home ), ice cold slaw, chips and brownies baked in mini muffin pans.

I am a bit outside my comfort zone:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Thank you so much. Would you mind to share the recipes for the appetizer?

This is the scenario: 25-50 tired, sweaty, hungry SASS shooters, very rustic setting on the prairie 50 miles from nothing, today around 105F. Service has to be fast, as little cutting as possible (plastic ware and some eat standing up because they cannot sit comfortable in their costumes!). The current cook offers canned beans, chili, hamburgers, hot dogs or occasionally sandwiches. I do not mind major prep work on Friday.

Tomorrow: Beef Chili cupcakes (along this line but with local hot chilies and no beans Biscuit Bowl Chili Recipe | Taste of Home ), ice cold slaw, chips and brownies baked in mini muffin pans.

I am a bit outside my comfort zone:>)
The app is a LONG recipe because I make the mole from scratch (22 ingredients) and the seitan isn't the easiest thing in world to make if you don't have practice. Besides, I get the feeling a bunch of cowboys wouldn't appreciate a vegan dish :-)

Anyway, I'd love to help but I never wrote that one down. I just used a common seitan recipe and an "authentic" mole poblano recipe, then simmered the seitan in the mole before serving. The jicama slaw is simply jicama, carrot and chayote matchsticks, cider vinegar, lime, salt & pepper. I'll assume you know how to make pico de gallo as you're in the SW.

Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The app is a LONG recipe because I make the mole from scratch (22 ingredients) and the seitan isn't the easiest thing in world to make if you don't have practice. Besides, I get the feeling a bunch of cowboys wouldn't appreciate a vegan dish :-)

Anyway, I'd love to help but I never wrote that one down. I just used a common seitan recipe and an "authentic" mole poblano recipe, then simmered the seitan in the mole before serving. The jicama slaw is simply jicama, carrot and chayote matchsticks, cider vinegar, lime, salt & pepper. I'll assume you know how to make pico de gallo as you're in the SW.
You are right on! The slaw will be served at tomorrow's BBQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink