Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:58 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times

Advertisements

Good job. The test they give on the cooking competition shows is scallops!

That being said, I like to get the whole fish from the fish monger (I live in Florida) and have him clean it but leave the head on. Then I stuff it and surround it with veggies, a little oil in a foil package. OR just by itself on the grill or in a basket or something. Like a snapper.

Since you seem like you enjoy challenging yourself....

Because you need to learn how to remove the bones without choking your guests or caveat emptor.

Example:

Grilled whole red snapper - I Love Meat

Grilled Whole Red Snapper Recipe - Grace Parisi | Food & Wine

Sauces/toppings are an entirely different matter than the actual fish.

I don't use lemon on my fish when I'm cooking it like lots of recipes state. I make mine the Greek way with just some olive oil and aromatics and add lemon at the table. Also octopus, squid, baby smelts you can eat the entire thing including the head...

I used to hang my octopus on the garage door tracks LOL But I'm guessing you can find it frozen and not have to do that.

Mastering A Sea Monster: From Greece, A Lesson In Grilling Octopus : The Salt : NPR

Crispy-Fried Atherina (Smelts) - Kalofagas - Greek Food & Beyond - Kalofagas - Greek Food & Beyond

Appetizers | Grilled Smelts Recipe | Recipe4Living

Probably a bunch of youTube videos on this subject.

A whole fish makes a great presentation especially for a group, and you can easily do one in the oven as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Forget all the "Gourmet" blah blah, I'd rather cook regular real food, eat regular real food and serve my guests regular real food.
All this sounds like "real" food to me. So far haven't seen mention of "foam" or "air" which IMO are quite silly. All I see is protein and sauce. Quite "real", IMO.

I'm taking your comment to mean "plain" instead of "real".

To the OP, for a long time (decades!) I didn't care for salmon. But now I do (always did like steak). So every now and then, give it a try. Tastes change over time.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:34 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
All this sounds like "real" food to me. So far haven't seen mention of "foam" or "air" which IMO are quite silly. All I see is protein and sauce. Quite "real", IMO.

To the OP, for a long time (decades!) I didn't care for salmon. But now I do (always did like steak). So every now and then, give it a try. Tastes change over time.
Have you tried maple-baked salmon, in a marinade of maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh ginger and garlic?
Oh My God!
Even people who don't particularly like fish, love it.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Forget all the "Gourmet" blah blah, I'd rather cook regular real food, eat regular real food and serve my guests regular real food.

Original Poster: Your attempts sound great even though I do not eat any type of seafood.
Good luck with your future dishes and don't be too hard on yourself when something doesn't turn out quite right.
Everyone who cooks has had more than one disaster and in the end sometimes you just have to order pizza.
We ARE talking about real food. Like the above poster said....you're talking about plain food. Meat and potato food. Thursday is meatloaf night food, with a smear of ketchup on top. Food for those who have no sense of curiousity or adventure.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Have you tried maple-baked salmon, in a marinade of maple syrup, soy sauce, fresh ginger and garlic?
Oh My God!
Even people who don't particularly like fish, love it.
Mmmm... that sounds really good. I like salmon, but haven't had any in a while. I might have to try making this sometime soon.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
Some of us just really hate salmon... I've had it all kinds of "delicious" ways, and I always hate it. I WANT to like it, but no, just no.

I mainly only eat shellfish, when it comes to seafood though.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Mmmm... that sounds really good. I like salmon, but haven't had any in a while. I might have to try making this sometime soon.
You'll keep making it over and over. Easiest thing in the world. That's it...that's the whole recipe. Mix up the four ingredients in any quantity you like, let the salmon sit in it, in an ovenproof dish, then slide the whole thing into the oven until it's flakey. It's sweet and spicy, like a teriyaki sauce.
It tastes fancy and exotic, but isn't.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Try to make chermoula. It is amazing in seafood. Google the recipe. Also chimichurri works well in a heartier fish and is easy to make, but tastes amazing.

I have a really good Harissa spice blend I like to use on salmon and chicken. Would be good on halibut or similar.

I made a killer marinade with red miso, siracha and a little bit of yuzu. The flavor profile was amazing I used it on chicken. Would be perfect on the grill.

I made a yummy salad with watermelon, strawberry, basil-cayenne syrup. Make a simple syrup infused with the 2 ingredients. Then add some with the fruit, lime juice and finish with some salt. It was super yummy.

That's all I have right now top of mind.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
We ARE talking about real food. Like the above poster said....you're talking about plain food. Meat and potato food. Thursday is meatloaf night food, with a smear of ketchup on top. Food for those who have no sense of curiousity or adventure.

I am not talking about "plain" food and I would never ruin a perfectly good meatloaf with a smear of Catsup on top and Thursdays is NOT meatloaf night. Not that it is any of your concern but I do not make specific meals on specific nights and I rarely make a meatloaf anyway.

I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
Fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, as in nothing processed, packaged, dated, boxed or has to be covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor.

I doubt you will ever understand what I mean though so carry on and enjoy you "gourmet" whatever you want to call it.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:06 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Quote:
I am not talking about "plain" food and I would never ruin a perfectly good meatloaf with a smear of Catsup on top and Thursdays is NOT meatloaf night. Not that it is any of your concern but I do not make specific meals on specific nights and I rarely make a meatloaf anyway.

I am talking about real food, you know homemade pasta, homemade pasta sauce, homemade butter, homemade whipping cream, homemade mayo, homemade Alfredo Sauce. Dessert that does not come out of a box.
Fresh herbs, fresh vegetables, as in nothing processed, packaged, dated, boxed or has to be covered in some sort of breading, condiment or sauce to give it flavor.

I doubt you will ever understand what I mean though so carry on and enjoy you "gourmet" whatever you want to call it.
Then what's your issue? I didn't see anything in the OP's two meals that wasn't homemade, unless you have an issue with soy sauce, which eliminates cuisines eaten by a third of the world. Then again, you could plant some soy and ferment your own.

I certainly don't view a well-prepared sauce on a good piece of protein to be the same as "has to be covered in some sauce to give it flavor", nor do many good cooks I know. I see it as complementary. I like a grilled chicken thigh with simple s&p seasoning. I also like a grilled chicken thigh with a number of homemade rubs and marinades. Variety is the spice of life, y'know?

Of your list of "homemade" stuff, other than butter, I make those things myself and know a number of others who do as well. I do it because I like to make those items as they taste better and are worth the time (I don't feel butter is worth the effort). But that doesn't stop me from appreciating what the OP is trying to do or using the term "gourmet" as some derogatory slur.

There are a whole lot of people who do their own canning and have wonderful recipes they love to share. Perhaps being supportive of the wonders of homemade/DIY sauces, etc. and sharing what gives you pleasure might work a bit better than taking the moral superiority/condemnation route? After all, the OP seems to want to give many things a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink