U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:00 PM

125 posts, read 121,141 times

Advertisements

Male, 35, I cook, some things better than others, some things I really like, some other people like, but I got the bug which I consider a good thing. The bug is to cook things really well, like 5 star dining good. So the first 2 attempts were the following:

-Sea Scallops with a honeydew mango salsa, with chilled black rice in a homemade cilantro lime vinaigrette (this dressing was amazing)

-Seared Sesame crusted Tuna with a homemade avocado lime cilantro wasabi sauce and soy ginger garlic reduction

Both came out really good, the wasabi sauce concoction was a little underwelming and the soy reduction reduced too much (but seared tuna seasoned right, really doesn't need anything really)

So out of 2 attempts I would give myself a 10/10 on the scallops, and a 7 out of 10 on the tuna. Regardless of the Tuna sauce mishap, it gave me confidence to do more.

Its summer, which to me means fresh seafood. Keeping in mind that I despise salmon, I like to use the grill when possible, anyone got anymore ideas? Not just for the fish/crustaceans, but for sauces as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 12:33 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Too much going on at the same time for me here. Especially with seafood I like it "clean". Let the flavor and freshness come out not the rest of the story. You asked!

Shrimp with lemon/olive/oil/salt, butter lettuce, fresh bread. Chilled white. Butter cookies/vanilla ice cream (nuke for a few seconds so it is starting to melt).

Old 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM

34,544 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I am just a plain cook, so probably no good gourmet ideas for you. I will say that you should walk before you run. By that I mean, can you cook the basics flawlessly? Can you make an over easy egg? A seared med rare steak? A good sear on a scallop? Can you make pie crust?
If I were you, I would see if there are any gourmet cooking classes nearby. They would be fun, and give you some good recipes, too.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:57 PM

114,037 posts, read 52,362,745 times
You gotta start soft and slow like a small earthquake....

Old 07-09-2014, 01:32 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Male, 35, I cook, some things better than others, some things I really like, some other people like, but I got the bug which I consider a good thing. The bug is to cook things really well, like 5 star dining good. So the first 2 attempts were the following:

-Sea Scallops with a honeydew mango salsa, with chilled black rice in a homemade cilantro lime vinaigrette (this dressing was amazing)

-Seared Sesame crusted Tuna with a homemade avocado lime cilantro wasabi sauce and soy ginger garlic reduction

Both came out really good, the wasabi sauce concoction was a little underwelming and the soy reduction reduced too much (but seared tuna seasoned right, really doesn't need anything really)

So out of 2 attempts I would give myself a 10/10 on the scallops, and a 7 out of 10 on the tuna. Regardless of the Tuna sauce mishap, it gave me confidence to do more.

Its summer, which to me means fresh seafood. Keeping in mind that I despise salmon, I like to use the grill when possible, anyone got anymore ideas? Not just for the fish/crustaceans, but for sauces as well?
I can't understand anyone liking seafood but hating salmon. Oh well.
I make a mussels dish to die for.
Fresh scrubbed mussels in a sauce of a little butter, white wine, garlic, shallots, a bit of parmesan and diced celery. A fresh baguette to mop up the sauce.
Quick, cheap, fast and easy.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:12 PM

125 posts, read 121,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I make a mussels dish to die for.
Fresh scrubbed mussels in a sauce of a little butter, white wine, garlic, shallots, a bit of parmesan and diced celery. A fresh baguette to mop up the sauce.
Quick, cheap, fast and easy.

Lets just get it out of the way, I don't like Salmon and I don't like steak. Yes, I am the oddball, lets just say I never developed the taste for either.

For the other posters, I can do the basics. The dishes so far are not over complicating the fish, the sauces on the tuna, were to the effect of the drizzle on the plate you get when you get seared tuna at a restaurant, and the honeydew/avocado salsa on the scallops did not overwhelm anything. The scallops were done on the grill to perfection, the tuna was done in a cast iron skillet, sesame oil heated to just the smoke point.

I also did local steamers with a white wine, garlic butter sauce.

I will definately try some mussels as described, you had me at baguette as a mop.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 PM

5,170 posts, read 2,994,994 times
Yum, yum to this thread.

I was at my dentist's office the other day and saw this recipe for grilled chicken breasts stuffed with tapenade. Sounds good to me!

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/t...hicken-breasts

Old 07-09-2014, 02:33 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,535,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
OP isn't the only one.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:52 PM

15,087 posts, read 11,519,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neildiamond11790 View Post
Lets just get it out of the way, I don't like Salmon and I don't like steak. Yes, I am the oddball, lets just say I never developed the taste for either.

For the other posters, I can do the basics. The dishes so far are not over complicating the fish, the sauces on the tuna, were to the effect of the drizzle on the plate you get when you get seared tuna at a restaurant, and the honeydew/avocado salsa on the scallops did not overwhelm anything. The scallops were done on the grill to perfection, the tuna was done in a cast iron skillet, sesame oil heated to just the smoke point.

I also did local steamers with a white wine, garlic butter sauce.

I will definately try some mussels as described, you had me at baguette as a mop.
I don't know if you can get PEI blue mussels where you live, but they're only $3.99 a kilo here.
Absolutely delicious and takes no time at all.
How do you feel about fresh steelhead trout?

Last edited by weltschmerz; 07-09-2014 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM

35,121 posts, read 37,802,296 times
Forget all the "Gourmet" blah blah, I'd rather cook regular real food, eat regular real food and serve my guests regular real food.

Original Poster: Your attempts sound great even though I do not eat any type of seafood.
Good luck with your future dishes and don't be too hard on yourself when something doesn't turn out quite right.
Everyone who cooks has had more than one disaster and in the end sometimes you just have to order pizza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or