U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can of tuna= how many sandwiches
1 17 23.29%
2-3 45 61.64%
3-4 8 10.96%
5-6 0 0%
7 or more 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:47 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,205,303 times

Advertisements

If its something in between 2 slices of bread then its a sandwich; if theres tuna in it then its a tuna sandwich.

But our serving choices arent whats in question here. The question is simply how many "tuna salad" sandwiches can you get from one can of tuna?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If its something in between 2 slices of bread then its a sandwich; if theres tuna in it then its a tuna sandwich
If that's what works for you then fine - it doesn't appear to work for everyone in your family. I'm simply stating my opinion. Clearly, you have a growing teenager and a healthy meal would consist of more than the 1/2 oz of protein you are suggesting. That is not a full serving - especially for an active (hopefully) teen. I understand a budget, but I'd work around the bread, mayo, chips and other junky fillers and increase the protein. Look for healthier options for your money.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 AM

21,137 posts, read 22,107,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
If its something in between 2 slices of bread then its a sandwich; if theres tuna in it then its a tuna sandwich.

But our serving choices arent whats in question here. The question is simply how many "tuna salad" sandwiches can you get from one can of tuna?
??

So you want numbers only but no comments? I don't understand. You seem to feel that somehow you are getting "more" out of a can of tuna than other posters (and therefore are more frugal). Of course the serving choices matter. Actually, the kinds of stuff people put in their sandwiches is rather interesting. Some people only have tuna and mayo, other people add eggs, celery, onions, relish etc. That also matters. Unless what is in the salad is equivalent, then it's apples to oranges. You are calling your choice "frugal" - I don't think it necessarily is - you opened that door. Otherwise I would have though you just really really liked mayo. If it's frugality your after, then there are other ways to be frugal. That was my only point. If you really really like a bread and mayo sandwich with a dash of tuna that's your prerogative.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:02 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Is anyone else craving tuna sandwiches because of this thread? LOL!

I think I am going to go by some good bread, tuna and stop at the farm market and get fresh tomatoes.....I don't feel like cooking tonight....so tuna sandwiches it is!

Old 07-12-2014, 12:16 PM

14,072 posts, read 20,140,553 times
2 if you do it on the small round breads..1.5 on regular bread

Old 07-12-2014, 12:20 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,443,612 times
A teenager wolves 14 oz egg/tuna salad between two slices of bread and mother says he is taking food away from the other two household members. Mother has been loosing weight. Great for her! Is the kid just plain hungry? Is there something else? Who knows.

Whatever OP's idea of a tuna sandwich is - it is her opinion and it will not change mine. Keeping hunger pains at bay may be OK for an adult with weight to loose (me included) but mayo/boiled egg/tuna is not a meal for a growing teen and not a way to teach healthy eating. It can be done on a budget; it can be done frugally.

There has to be enough food on the table at our house so no one walks away wanting. It may be beans with ham bone and cornbread and greens; it may be filet mignon and the works. Actually tonight it will be very spicy chicken breast shredded for fajitas, peppers/onions/garlic, rice, pico de gallo a la maison (whatever I find:>) - under $2 with money to spare for desert and my grown men who will be hungry.

My tuna sandwich cravings went by the wayside and this is another kettle of fish - eggs or no eggs? No eggs here!!! Good sourdough bread lightly toasted, a dab of mayo, a dab of horseradish, pepper/salt, paper thin slices of celery, 1/2 inch blackened tuna. Beer has to be cold.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:28 PM

5,413 posts, read 4,816,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
A teenager wolves 14 oz egg/tuna salad between two slices of bread and mother says he is taking food away from the other two household members. Mother has been loosing weight. Great for her! Is the kid just plain hungry? Is there something else? Who knows.

Whatever OP's idea of a tuna sandwich is - it is her opinion and it will not change mine. Keeping hunger pains at bay may be OK for an adult with weight to loose (me included) but mayo/boiled egg/tuna is not a meal for a growing teen and not a way to teach healthy eating. It can be done on a budget; it can be done frugally.

There has to be enough food on the table at our house so no one walks away wanting. It may be beans with ham bone and cornbread and greens; it may be filet mignon and the works. Actually tonight it will be very spicy chicken breast shredded for fajitas, peppers/onions/garlic, rice, pico de gallo a la maison (whatever I find:>) - under $2 with money to spare for desert and my grown men who will be hungry.

My tuna sandwich cravings went by the wayside and this is another kettle of fish - eggs or no eggs? No eggs here!!! Good sourdough bread lightly toasted, a dab of mayo, a dab of horseradish, pepper/salt, paper thin slices of celery, 1/2 inch blackened tuna. Beer has to be cold.
Where are you getting 14 oz from?

Old 07-12-2014, 12:51 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Is anyone else craving tuna sandwiches because of this thread? LOL!

I think I am going to go by some good bread, tuna and stop at the farm market and get fresh tomatoes.....I don't feel like cooking tonight....so tuna sandwiches it is!
LOL! We went grocery shopping last night, and did we pick up tuna? Oh, yes we did. It was on sale, too.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
??

So you want numbers only but no comments? I don't understand. You seem to feel that somehow you are getting "more" out of a can of tuna than other posters (and therefore are more frugal). Of course the serving choices matter. Actually, the kinds of stuff people put in their sandwiches is rather interesting. Some people only have tuna and mayo, other people add eggs, celery, onions, relish etc. That also matters. Unless what is in the salad is equivalent, then it's apples to oranges. You are calling your choice "frugal" - I don't think it necessarily is - you opened that door. Otherwise I would have though you just really really liked mayo. If it's frugality your after, then there are other ways to be frugal. That was my only point. If you really really like a bread and mayo sandwich with a dash of tuna that's your prerogative.
I dont mind comments. Its the judgmental ones i can do without. Frugal to me is spending very very little on food and making that food last a really long time. It may not be "healthy" but its a far sight better than pork rinds and a coke or a bag of hostess donettes and a shake.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
LOL! We went grocery shopping last night, and did we pick up tuna? Oh, yes we did. It was on sale, too.
Last bit i picked up were a shocking $1.50 a can . When i can recall being able to buy 3 cans for $1 it entirely puts me off of paying the current price and if i do buy a can it had better last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink