U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can of tuna= how many sandwiches
1 17 23.29%
2-3 45 61.64%
3-4 8 10.96%
5-6 0 0%
7 or more 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 01:57 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,536,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If that's what works for you then fine - it doesn't appear to work for everyone in your family. I'm simply stating my opinion. Clearly, you have a growing teenager and a healthy meal would consist of more than the 1/2 oz of protein you are suggesting. That is not a full serving - especially for an active (hopefully) teen. I understand a budget, but I'd work around the bread, mayo, chips and other junky fillers and increase the protein. Look for healthier options for your money.
Good friend of mine said that when he was going through his teen growth years, he'd come home from school, make and eat FOUR sandwiches, and be ready for 2-3 helpings of dinner a couple of hours later. My brother (now 6'3") was much the same way. OP's kid is not abnormal; he just needs to fuel his growth. One half oz of protein - maybe a full oz, if you count the egg - is not going to be enough.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 PM

21,168 posts, read 22,214,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont mind comments. Its the judgmental ones i can do without. Frugal to me is spending very very little on food and making that food last a really long time. It may not be "healthy" but its a far sight better than pork rinds and a coke or a bag of hostess donettes and a shake.
Cheap =/= frugal. Your choices are yours but I don't understand you complaining that your child (your CHILD) is taking food out of your mouth then getting annoyed when people give you actual budget-stretching information. When talking about food, frugal is generally defined as getting the most nutritious "bang" for the buck. Look into beans if you are that much on a budget.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:19 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,233,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Good friend of mine said that when he was going through his teen growth years, he'd come home from school, make and eat FOUR sandwiches, and be ready for 2-3 helpings of dinner a couple of hours later. My brother (now 6'3") was much the same way. OP's kid is not abnormal; he just needs to fuel his growth. One half oz of protein - maybe a full oz, if you count the egg - is not going to be enough.
At our house growing up that person wouldve been made to go earn his own money for food. If hes going to want to eat like that he can buy it himself. Bills get paid first and whatever is left can go towards food. If theres very little to no money left over after bills then you eat very little to no food.

In this case the teen in question lived with another parent who got tons of government assistance. So he could eat 15 helpings each meal. We dont have any assistance of any kind yet he still wants to eat and eat and eat even after being told in no uncertain terms that he cannot do that. if hes hungry he can do something to take his mind off of food. Thats what we did growing up. But to have a teen that wants to scarf everything down simply because he can then turn around and eat simply because someone else is eating then thats another story.

Example, we cooked a large amount of spaghetti in one of those 5 quart pots. Our intentions were to make enough to give everyone a plate then have enough for leftovers the next day. He walked over and almost literally turned the entire thing over onto his plate and walked away with it shoveling huge fork-fulls into his mouth. Even if spaghetti is fairly cheap we CANNOT have that sort of behavior here.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:21 PM

14,965 posts, read 26,732,680 times
Folks - please keep posts on topic. I have spent an inordinate amount of time on this thread having to clean up posts that you can no longer see. If we are to keep this thread open let's stay focused on the Original Post leaving emotions out of all posts by all members. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:24 PM

4,544 posts, read 5,089,317 times
Quote:
never said i dont like it. I just said its a really strong smell/taste.

And im pretty sure the "Do you exercise naked?" thread is a bit more strange than this one.

Reason for asking the question is because theres 3 of us living here in the house; 2 adults 1 teenager. I made a container of tuna salad which even being generous shouldve been enough to give each person 2 sandwiches. However ol' Stomach McTeen decided to empty the entire bowl onto 2 slices of bread and make 1 sandwich from it which effectively took 2 meals away from each of us. So that made me wonder just how many others out there have the same concept of making a tuna salad sandwich; ie one can equals 1 sandwich.
I get more than one sandwich out of a can but truth be told, your teenager's idea of a tuna sandwich is closer to the norm than yours is.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:24 PM

24,214 posts, read 39,137,854 times
We get 2 or 3 sandwiches from one 5 ounce can of tuna.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:27 PM

21,168 posts, read 22,214,348 times
What exactly IS on-topic then? The OP continues to say his sandwiches are for the purpose of frugality, not preference. He keeps insisting he is being frugal, saving money by filling up on other things and getting 12 sandwiches out of 5 oz of protein. If we can't discuss what he is claiming then what exactly is there to discuss? I don't see how the OP can have it both ways: to claim to be more frugal than anyone else but have no one respond.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:35 PM

6,406 posts, read 6,536,588 times
Quote:
At our house growing up that person wouldve been made to go earn his own money for food. If hes going to want to eat like that he can buy it himself. Bills get paid first and whatever is left can go towards food. If theres very little to no money left over after bills then you eat very little to no food.

In this case the teen in question lived with another parent who got tons of government assistance. So he could eat 15 helpings each meal. We dont have any assistance of any kind yet he still wants to eat and eat and eat even after being told in no uncertain terms that he cannot do that. if hes hungry he can do something to take his mind off of food. Thats what we did growing up. But to have a teen that wants to scarf everything down simply because he can then turn around and eat simply because someone else is eating then thats another story.

Example, we cooked a large amount of spaghetti in one of those 5 quart pots. Our intentions were to make enough to give everyone a plate then have enough for leftovers the next day. He walked over and almost literally turned the entire thing over onto his plate and walked away with it shoveling huge fork-fulls into his mouth. Even if spaghetti is fairly cheap we CANNOT have that sort of behavior here.
Honestly - and I don't want to make you feel bad - but the kid needs more food. Take a look at this PDF of food costs by the USDA. On the thrifty plan, a 14-18 year old child eats about $40 worth of food per week. That's just for the child. If your entire food budget is $75 per week for at least 3 people, your budget is insufficient. You might want to check into SNAP, to see if you can at least supplement your food budget. Here is the link to the screening tool (not an application). Pride won't fill your bellies, and we all pay taxes for this.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:37 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,233,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
What exactly IS on-topic then? The OP continues to say his sandwiches are for the purpose of frugality, not preference. He keeps insisting he is being frugal, saving money by filling up on other things and getting 12 sandwiches out of 5 oz of protein. If we can't discuss what he is claiming then what exactly is there to discuss? I don't see how the OP can have it both ways: to claim to be more frugal than anyone else but have no one respond.
On topic is to answer the question in the thread title; nothing else. So saying "we mix the tuna with this and that and it gives us 4 sandwiches" then that is being on topic. Saying "how can you do this and why are you doing that and what kind of person are you blah blah blah" is not being on topic. Admittedly, i myself am guilty of being off topic in some of my posts and i apologize for that.

Old 07-12-2014, 02:37 PM

4,544 posts, read 5,089,317 times
Quote:

I believe that the OP defines the topic and here it is more than just number of sandwiches per can of tuna but has grown to encompass thoughts on how one may feed a family frugally.

Having established my on topic bonafides, I would suggest that the OP would have more money to feed her family if she dropped her Internet connection and used that money for groceries.

What's more important, feeding your kids or arguing with people about tuna sandwiches on an Internet forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink