U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can of tuna= how many sandwiches
1 17 23.29%
2-3 45 61.64%
3-4 8 10.96%
5-6 0 0%
7 or more 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 08:54 PM

1,466 posts, read 920,236 times

Advertisements

Depending on the size of the bread or roll I can get 3 or 4 from a 5 oz. can with mayo & celery. Just had tuna today for lunch and got 3 sandwiches out of it. 2 on bread and one on a kaiser roll.
With 12 sandwiches from a 5 oz can you're getting .41 oz of tuna per sandwich. Since you add relish, egg and onion I guess it's possible to get 12. I don't like a lot of added stuff so I'll settle for 3 or 4.

Last edited by 5-all; 07-10-2014 at 09:09 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 08:56 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
2 max.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:08 PM

6,400 posts, read 6,501,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Yeah thats why i specified tuna salad sandwich and not a tuna sandwich.
Most tuna salad recipes that I have seen (and made) do not include hard-boiled egg. It's an optional ingredient for tuna salad.

A few examples - actually the first four results from a Google search of "tuna salad":

Tuna Salad Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network (2 6 oz cans of tuna used, makes 3 to 4 servings). No egg.

Barbie's Tuna Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com - This one uses a 7 oz can, and gets 4 servings. No egg here, either.

Essential Recipe: The Perfect Tuna Salad - Two 5 oz cans, makes 2 cups of tuna salad, no eggs in this one. Even in the variations, no egg.

Wikipedia defines tuna salad as "typically a blend of two main ingredients: tuna and mayonnaise or mayonnaise-substitute". It does list hard-boiled egg as an optional ingredient.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:20 PM

33,573 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Quote:
So on occasion I buy a can or 2 of tuna and make tuna salad for sandwiches. Now being one that was raised to make stuff last I can get like a dozen or so from 1 can of tuna. Yet when others around here make one they get 1 maybe 2 largely due to the fact that they make each sandwich 2-3 inches thick. I like mine somewhat thin (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick).
So on average for those who make tuna salad sandwiches how many can you get from a single (2 ounce) can?

I don't understand the concept of sandwiches like this:

http://zgt-thumb.storage.googleapis....98_85_s_c1.JPG

No one can even open their mouth so wide. It's insane, and does not even taste good when so overstuffed.
There is no civilized way to eat this too.
I am with you, OP - I like just 1-2 slices of meat or cheese or whatever or a thin layer of salads and stuff. So, yes - I can make several good tasting sandwiches from one can of tuna

Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
A proper sammich is more than just bread.
I don't even eat sammiches anymore (for the most part) since i'm low carb but when I did you had to have some filling!
Now I'm not talking ridiculous NYC jewish deli pastrami sammiches that are about 6" thick, but at least have something in their to chew besides the dang bread.
A small can or one of those new pouches makes one tuna sammich with mayo, onions, maybe some relish and salt/pepper.
The bigger can I can squeeze two sammiches out of

Bread is one of the worst things you can eat imho, especially bleached flour white bread.
Being "frugal" is killing you.
Throw the tuna salad on a nice bed of greens, some sliced hard boiled egg and some other veggies/nuts and now you've got a healthy protein packed meal with healthy fats! Yum!
Just not as portable.
Thanks for the health lesson but im good. Bread in moderation is not bad for you and when its 100% whole wheat it actually keeps you fuller longer. Trust me...ive lost 35 lbs by eating right and being frugal.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM

33,573 posts, read 51,786,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mini View Post
A proper sammich is more than just bread.
I don't even eat sammiches anymore (for the most part) since i'm low carb but when I did you had to have some filling!
Now I'm not talking ridiculous NYC jewish deli pastrami sammiches that are about 6" thick, but at least have something in their to chew besides the dang bread.
A small can or one of those new pouches makes one tuna sammich with mayo, onions, maybe some relish and salt/pepper.
The bigger can I can squeeze two sammiches out of

Bread is one of the worst things you can eat imho, especially bleached flour white bread.
Being "frugal" is killing you.
Throw the tuna salad on a nice bed of greens, some sliced hard boiled egg and some other veggies/nuts and now you've got a healthy protein packed meal with healthy fats! Yum!
Just not as portable.
^^^ Yes! Make a healthy salad instead!!!

Most sandwiches have way too much bread. Cut the bread in half and you don't need to make it 6" high.
I really love the European open face sandwiches!

open face sandwiches - Google Search

Old 07-10-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't understand the concept of sandwiches like this:

http://zgt-thumb.storage.googleapis....98_85_s_c1.JPG

No one can even open their mouth so wide. It's insane, and does not even taste good when so overstuffed.
There is no civilized way to eat this too.
I am with you, OP - I like just 1-2 slices of meat or cheese or whatever or a thin layer of salads and stuff. So, yes - I can make several good tasting sandwiches from one can of tuna
lol i sometimes wonder why people dont put a slice of bread in between all those toppings. I mean thats basically what theyre doing.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,611,706 times
It would take me forever to eat all the tuna salad if I made it, but back when I did, I would want a scant amount of the mixture on the bread, maybe one half inch. Not a big thick sandwich.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:48 PM

The thickness of my TS sandwiches are about like this http://www.mangezmangez.ca/images/Tuna.jpg

Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,537,002 times
Quote:
Thanks for the health lesson but im good. Bread in moderation is not bad for you and when its 100% whole wheat it actually keeps you fuller longer. Trust me...ive lost 35 lbs by eating right and being frugal.
But if you're making 12 sandwiches, that's not exactly moderation. Unless you're keeping the opened tuna for a long period of time, which isn't exactly safe. Once open, you should use it up within 3 or 4 days or discard it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink