Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can of tuna= how many sandwiches
1 17 23.29%
2-3 45 61.64%
3-4 8 10.96%
5-6 0 0%
7 or more 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Also, unlike other "salads" where theres a huge amount of the main ingredient, tuna is the exception. You could take a bathtub full of mayo and mix one can of tuna into it and every bit of it will (to me) taste entirely like tuna. Thats pretty much all i need is just a taste of tuna. Whether theres actual chunks of tuna in there or not is irrelevant to me. Truth be told i could probably mix tuna juice in other ingredients and trash the meat.
Ugh. Waaaaay too much mayo. To be honest, I feel a little queasy thinking of a sandwich that is mostly mayo.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:39 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,763,177 times
Quote:
Like I said earlier, the size of the can in question is a 5 oz, not a 2. I believe the confusion was me looking at possibly the serving instead of the net wt of the can.

Also, unlike other "salads" where theres a huge amount of the main ingredient, tuna is the exception. You could take a bathtub full of mayo and mix one can of tuna into it and every bit of it will (to me) taste entirely like tuna. Thats pretty much all i need is just a taste of tuna. Whether theres actual chunks of tuna in there or not is irrelevant to me. Truth be told i could probably mix tuna juice in other ingredients and trash the meat.
I had wondered also in your initial post about the size of the can and thought that perhaps it was a size that was not available here. However, it is unfortunate that it is too late to edit the initial post. You have addressed the discrepancy in a previous post so hopefully everyone is on board now that you are referring to a regular sized can of tuna.

I understand the ideal of not including tons of a protein source in a sandwich. Sometimes just a hint is enough to relish the protein ingredient. Other ingredients can be the main ingredients of the show - bread, vegetables, spreads, etc. but the 'star' that imparts that special flair is minimal in comparison.

An example in point is a Prosciutto sandwich that I believe many of the 'foodies' here can appreciate.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/prosciu...ni-sandwiches/

Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
I'm assuming you're talking about a 5oz can of tuna that many grocers have, as opposed to the larger cans they have at wholesale clubs? I just had one of those yesterday. According to the container, there are 2 servings in that can, so I'm wondering how you get more than that unless you fill it with veggies, cheese, and extra protein elsewhere.

Also, the bread I use is somewhat larger than the size of that white Wonder bread (5.25" x 4", but rounded at 2 of the corners. It's whole grain that I bought at Aldi's for $1.30), as opposed to the Arnold brand that's even wider and more rectangular in shape (still with rounded corners). I used up nearly 95% of that can to fill the entire bread with a decent amount (about 0.5" of tuna).

Short answer... 1.2 sandwiches

Old 07-11-2014, 02:20 PM

284 posts, read 379,175 times
If you want Stomach McTeen to build any type of muscle, that growing teen needs protein. To stretch a 5 oz. can of tuna (which you agree has 2 servings in it) out to 12 servings means you're adding massive amounts of fat-laden mayo. You'll find that most people are satiated with significantly less carbs and fat when given enough protein with a meal.

I'm with most people - one or two sandwiches at most. Tuna with just a spoonful of mayo - lettuce and sprouts on the sandwich too.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:29 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
Back when I was in the service (desert storm era) we used to have contests on base to see how many sandwiches we could make with one can of tuna. I believe the record was 48 sandwiches with one can.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:42 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
5 oz, a bit of mayo, a bit of sour cream, chopped celery, dash of cayenne/pepper = 2 sandwiches

Old 07-11-2014, 02:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
So on occasion I buy a can or 2 of tuna and make tuna salad for sandwiches. Now being one that was raised to make stuff last I can get like a dozen or so from 1 can of tuna. Yet when others around here make one they get 1 maybe 2 largely due to the fact that they make each sandwich 2-3 inches thick. I like mine somewhat thin (1/4 to 1/2 inch thick).

So on average for those who make tuna salad sandwiches how many can you get from a single (2 ounce) can?
i get about 1.25 sandwiches out of 1 regular supermarket can of tuna. i have no idea how someone would get 12 legitimate sandwiches out of 1 can.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:50 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
huh...so you make each sandwich individually from the can? I make a big amount of tuna salad from the can and other ingredients and put it all into a tupperware container. Then when I want a sandwich i simply take a small amount and spread it in between 2 slices of bread.
That's what we do. Used to make a big tuna salad with eggs, rice, celery, but we don't eat enough of it now for it to be worth the trouble. It would go bad before we ate it.
Oh, and we only get 5-6 oz cans from which we get 1-2 sandwiches per.

I would like to mention that the title of the thread doesn't say anything about tuna salad, it simply asks about a "can of tuna."

Just saying.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:55 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Most tuna salad recipes that I have seen (and made) do not include hard-boiled egg. It's an optional ingredient for tuna salad.

A few examples - actually the first four results from a Google search of "tuna salad":

Tuna Salad Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network (2 6 oz cans of tuna used, makes 3 to 4 servings). No egg.

Barbie's Tuna Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com - This one uses a 7 oz can, and gets 4 servings. No egg here, either.

Essential Recipe: The Perfect Tuna Salad - Two 5 oz cans, makes 2 cups of tuna salad, no eggs in this one. Even in the variations, no egg.

Wikipedia defines tuna salad as "typically a blend of two main ingredients: tuna and mayonnaise or mayonnaise-substitute". It does list hard-boiled egg as an optional ingredient.
So, simply mixing mayonnaise into tuna fish qualifies it as "tuna salad?"

I did not know that.

Old 07-11-2014, 02:59 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,804,358 times
Quote:
never said i dont like it. I just said its a really strong smell/taste.

And im pretty sure the "Do you exercise naked?" thread is a bit more strange than this one.

Reason for asking the question is because theres 3 of us living here in the house; 2 adults 1 teenager. I made a container of tuna salad which even being generous shouldve been enough to give each person 2 sandwiches. However ol' Stomach McTeen decided to empty the entire bowl onto 2 slices of bread and make 1 sandwich from it which effectively took 2 meals away from each of us. So that made me wonder just how many others out there have the same concept of making a tuna salad sandwich; ie one can equals 1 sandwich.
Actually, it's not. lol

I'm siding with your kid on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink