U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: can of tuna= how many sandwiches
1 17 23.29%
2-3 45 61.64%
3-4 8 10.96%
5-6 0 0%
7 or more 3 4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 PM

8,835 posts, read 8,173,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I made a container of tuna salad which even being generous shouldve been enough to give each person 2 sandwiches.
Seriously? If you expect six sandwiches from a five ounce can of tuna, you may have either extreme food issues or extreme money issues. Or both. Sorry. No way that small a can of tuna will yield any more than two sandwiches for a normal person with a normal appetite.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:04 PM

3,313 posts, read 3,312,817 times
When I open a can of tuna, I keep my 2 cats locked up in another room so I don't have to share with them. That way, I get one full tuna sandwich.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM

5,463 posts, read 4,579,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
When I open a can of tuna, I keep my 2 cats locked up in another room so I don't have to share with them. That way, I get one full tuna sandwich.
I squeeze out all the liquid from the tuna into little sauce dishes and let the dogs have that while I'm making my sandwiches. That way they leave my tuna alone.

I like my tuna with a splash of lemon juice and lots of mayo. I'll get 2 sandwiches out of a 5 oz can.

I'm really surprised to hear how many people add egg to the tuna. I never heard of such a thing. I wonder if it is regional? And blueberries???? To each their own, but it really doesn't sound like they would go well with tuna.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,155,241 times
Another thing to consider here is what do you include in your tuna salad? I use onion, bell pepper, a boiled egg, mustard, sour cream, pickle relish, and dill. Sometimes I include other things like vinegar, pimento, and other seasonings. Even with the boiled egg I get two sandwiches at best.

Btw, tuna is always really cheap during and just before Lent. I stock up every year.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:28 AM

6,220 posts, read 7,400,726 times
I no longer buy canned tuna; I buy tuna in a pouch - 2.6oz. No oil or water to drain.

I put the tuna in a bowl, add a rib of finely chopped celery and a tablespoon or so of minced onion. Eyeball the mayo and roodle it around until well-blended. NO eggs. NO pickles.

I like it on toast so that's what I use. Wegman's has a yummy Ancient Grains loaf and it's a pretty generous slice so if I use that I'll get two sandwiches. On plain, ordinary soft white, that would be three. Don't judge me.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:26 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,206,967 times
Yes, we are a limited budget for food. $75 per week allotted for food; $50 on rent week. So when we buy food is has to last. Now what one has to understand is that i was raised in a single parent home and that parent was born during the depression. So there was a lot of "stretching" when it came to food because of limited income. This works out well because we're basically in the same situation. We buy enough food for the week provided someone isnt scarfing everything down in one sitting. We're being fed, not stuffed.

So yes, i can take a can of tuna, mix a large amount of other ingredients in with it, put a fairly thin amount on bread and call it a sandwich. Along with that theres also veggies, fruit, chips, whatever so dont think that one thin sandwich is all thats being fed to us. Its just that with being on such a limited budget we cant have it to where every meal makes a person have to go lay down because their belly is so full as if they just had Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:32 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Yes, we are a limited budget for food. $75 per week allotted for food; $50 on rent week. So when we buy food is has to last. Now what one has to understand is that i was raised in a single parent home and that parent was born during the depression. So there was a lot of "stretching" when it came to food because of limited income. This works out well because we're basically in the same situation. We buy enough food for the week provided someone isnt scarfing everything down in one sitting. We're being fed, not stuffed.

So yes, i can take a can of tuna, mix a large amount of other ingredients in with it, put a fairly thin amount on bread and call it a sandwich. Along with that theres also veggies, fruit, chips, whatever so dont think that one thin sandwich is all thats being fed to us. Its just that with being on such a limited budget we cant have it to where every meal makes a person have to go lay down because their belly is so full as if they just had Thanksgiving dinner.
Eating a decent tuna sandwich (that has tuna and not just mayo) is not gluttony. You have issues with food now matter your budget....and really...you are too broke to afford tuna but buy chips?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 AM

21,139 posts, read 22,112,687 times
Quote:

But I'm not seeing how 12 sandwiches expected out of 5 oz of tuna is really that frugal. Honestly, for the little amount of protein you're getting, and the large amount of "other ingredients" (fat and carbs with the mayo and bread ratio you seem to be suggesting) you might as well just not have tuna. Make egg salad instead. Or a PBJ. I'd rather have some tuna in my tuna sandwich. You don't have to make it only 1 sandwich (I think we get around 2) but I think more than 3-4 is stretching it pretty thin to still call it a "tuna sandwich".

Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Eating a decent tuna sandwich (that has tuna and not mayo) is not gluttony. You have issues with food now matter your budget....and really...you are too broke to afford tuna but buy chips?
we have a pantry and basement full of groceries, mostly bought with doubling up coupons....
I use to think the extreme couponing thing was a farce,,,,til we tried it,,and cut our food bill by 60-70%

Old 07-12-2014, 11:43 AM

5,413 posts, read 4,818,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
we have a pantry and basement full of groceries, mostly bought with doubling up coupons....
I use to think the extreme couponing thing was a farce,,,,til we tried it,,and cut our food bill by 60-70%
I've never seen coupons for actual food...meat, milks, eggs,, vegatables....just processed items...which are normally not healthy and are overpriced to begin with.

Also, stores in many areas only allow one coupon her items these days...due to the 'extreme' couponing. I have a pantry and freezer of actual food by shopping lost leaders and sales and stocking up.....but just because you have a coupon for chips, doesn't mean that they need to be purchased in place of lean protein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink