Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 09:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,793,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
No, they aren't anything like Vienna sausages - they taste like quality wieners and frankfurters. They aren't cheap - I paid almost $10 for a jar of five wieners.
Thanks for that. Sorry for my rambling on . I guess my question should be are they good enough to be worth 2 bucks each? That is pretty pricey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
...I guess my question should be are they good enough to be worth 2 bucks each?...
Not if you can get better quality for less. Unlike most of you, we don't have any real delis around here.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:11 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Not if you can get better quality for less. Unlike most of you, we don't have any real delis around here.
My situation is very much like yours. I order food online often. I've never had Meica products, but I plan to try them. Years ago I used to buy canned hot dogs packed in brine. Once, I was in the mood but didn't have any. I simmered regular hot dogs in brine for ten minutes; they were just as tasty.

This place has some additional flavors of Meica along with fresh sausage. When the weather is cooler thst's a good way to buy for those of us far from the city lights.

Canned/Jarred Meats

I've been a customer of this place for years. I always get my potato sausage for Christmas from them. They don't have anything in jars but you can do the canning or jarring yourself if you wish. It's better to wait until cold weather to order anything fresh. Overnight shipping works in the summer, but it's extremely expensive.

Koenemann Sausage

Old 07-13-2014, 07:17 AM

382 posts, read 721,444 times
I've been curious about these, as I noticed them in Bed Bath and Beyond (which seems to have added gourmet world food selections recently), and I'd seen them in Europe. I'm sure I'd like them, but they are a bit pricey.

Czechs make something similar, called "utopenec", which, unappetizingly enough, means "drowned man". They're a typical staple in pubs, usually eaten cold with bread, a dash of vinegar and some raw onion. Goes great with beer, and I've made them before by adding cut up polish sausage to a jar of pickle brine (after I've eaten the pickles).
Utopenec

Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Yup I can say I have never had German wieners from a jar.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:32 PM

351 posts, read 586,718 times
Default I've only seen them at the commissary here...

Quote:
No, they aren't anything like Vienna sausages - they taste like quality wieners and frankfurters. They aren't cheap - I paid almost $10 for a jar of five wieners.
I've only seen them at the commissary here. An employee from the meat cutters department at Pearl Harbor Commissary told me that these are really a high quality sausage product compared to the American ones.

He said all you have to do is to read the list of ingredients, and you'll see the German ones are all meat, and is doesn't have fillers like the others.

Out of curiosity, I bought some and fixed them with German Potato Pancakes, Braised Red Cabbage and sauerkraut. Everybody LOVED IT!

Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu21 View Post
...He said all you have to do is to read the list of ingredients, and you'll see the German ones are all meat, and is doesn't have fillers like the others...
I just ran downstairs to look at the ingredients in the jar I just purchased (I had to try another type of sausage). No fillers in the ingredient list . It's no wonder they taste so darned good.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
How odd! Where do you live, that you have no delis?

I smell a business opportunity.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,545,607 times
I've had the pickled ones and I like them.

Natural casings are best, for sure!

Old 07-13-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
How odd! Where do you live, that you have no delis...
Smack dab in the heart of Dixie.

We have a few places they call delis, but anyone who has been to a real deli knows the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink