U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Because?

Also, what I was asking was what was a good site, with forums for posting and the like, that dealt mostly with grilling? I ask because I had a host of questions that may not get answered here, since there are so many, I felt like I needed a "grillingfordummies.com" sort of site.

Questions such as:

(a) Since this grill is said to be an infrared, with no "flare-ups" or the like, what will I notice?

(b) I always heard that the grilling favor CAME from flare-ups, or open-flame cooking, where the meat drippings hit hot lava rocks and then smoke results. Wouldn't an infrared be the antithesis to that? (What little I've read suggests the food will still taste like food from a gas grill, the main thing is that it will heat quicker and cook more evenly.) For that matter, I know a lot of people like grilling with aluminum foil, but wouldn't that also sort of defeat the purpose of "open flame grilling?"

(c) "Logistics" when you're cooking on the grill but also preparing side dishes. I tend to prepare the side dishes inside while running back & forth to the grill, sort of "filling up" the time you'd otherwise be waiting for the food to cook on the grill. In my observations, though, that tends to lead to a lot of craziness from running around in a state of panic ("oh no! the food's burning!") and whenever I see others grilling I always observe that the guys are just outside grilling the whole time, apparently with the other food already done. Is that more commonly how it's done, and if so, how do you keep things like baked potatoes and rice from going cold? Or do guys typically have someone else handle the sides concurrently as they're grilling? (With baked beans, I have that solved, I prepare them in a small slow cooker and they'll be on "keep warm" during this time, ready & waiting.)

(d) Am I the only one around here, not being ugly to others mind you, that likes vinegar and ketchup-based sauce for barbecued chicken? Back in eastern NC from I originate from, that was what we used, the recipe I found 2 months ago calls for 1 cup of apple-cider vinegar, cup of catsup, 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar, 2 teaspoons of salt, and tbsp of Tabasco and red pepper flakes, and (optionally) 1 tbsp of margarine. You glaze that on your chicken with a "basting brush" as it cooks, and put some in a condiment cup for dipping on the side as well, and oh man it's just outstanding.

I guess that conjures up the "barbecue wars" as it were, but no one around here (eastern TX) has ever heard of such a type of barbecue sauce for chicken. Frankly, it's a wonder I can even purchase vinegar around here, no one seems to use vinegar for anything. I do also like tomato/molasses-based BBQ sauce like Cattleman's or Bull's Eye (my current choice for pork chops especially), but for chicken, that aforementioned vinegar/ketchup sauce is just IT.

Like I said, it's a lot of questions, the sort of thing that I figure you guys will tire of reading and replying to, which is why I was wondering if there is a site any of you know of & have experience with that's good for "grill talk" as it were.
Uh, infared? of course the Grill Gods are waiting to smite you. It only a matter of time.

Ugh are you a woman? My eyes hurt when I look at this post.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm a caveman.

1. Google is your friend like jambo stated.
2. I liken infared to cooking under an electric broiler
3. Always make sides before you grill. Never divert your attention away from the meat.(its what I tell my wife)
4. Vinegar based sauces rock, both the tomato and mustard versions.
5. I wont get tired of replying if you wern't so wordy. Dont your fingers hurt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
Infrared grill? IMO is missing a major point in having a grill in the first place, FIRE. Yeah i'm sure it will cook a steak but it certainly enters the world of digital cooking where lt becomes a why not just do it on the stovetop.
http://thenorthsidegrill.com/wp-cont...e1-300x225.jpg

That said i guess i'm a bit behind the times as a brief Google scan comes up with nothing but pages of positive reviews for infrared grills.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-18-2014 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Whatever sauce you like:>) Do not sauce the chicken too early as the sugars in the sauce will burn. So - easy on the sauce until the birds are almost ready to fly off the grill. Separate what you will use for basting and serving.

Never leave a heat source unattended!!!

Either have your sides ready or have someone else deal with them. Stick them in the oven keep warm or in a cooler stuffed with newspaper or just grill them.

BTW - white BBQ sauce is the way to go.

What is for dinner? Baby backs were simply delicious yesterday. Let meat come to room temperature, rub with spices of your choice, medium heat 1 1/2 hours. Thick slices of bread went on as the ribs were sitting. Garlic/olive oil, cold beer. Halved peaches with a bit of sugar in the stone hole and a dash of brandy enjoyed the rest of the heat and ice cream made them perfect.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,754,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Uh, infared? of course the Grill Gods are waiting to smite you. It only a matter of time.

Ugh are you a woman? My eyes hurt when I look at this post.

Yeah yeah yeah, I'm a caveman.

1. Google is your friend like jambo stated.
2. I liken infared to cooking under an electric broiler
3. Always make sides before you grill. Never divert your attention away from the meat.(its what I tell my wife)
4. Vinegar based sauces rock, both the tomato and mustard versions.
5. I wont get tired of replying if you wern't so wordy. Dont your fingers hurt?
I'm A Fast Typist, Sorry
Ha ha ha, you're making me laugh. Anyway--yes, I'm sorry I'm too wordy, and no, my fingers don't hurt, off and on over the years I've worked on temporary assignments doing clerical-administrative tasks which often-times involved much in the way of typing. In fact one such assignment involved re-typing an entire .pdf file all over again (since it couldn't be edited & they hadn't saved the Word version or whatever) and it was like 150 pages or so. That was all I did, all day long, until it was over, so yes, something like this, I can do in my sleep. I can type close to 80 words a minute.

And no, I'm not a woman, ha ha.

Infrared, yes, when I heard how you didn't experience flare-ups, I figured that had to mean it took a lot of the "open flame" aspects out of it and I was like "what's the point then?" However, as the one person said, grills that have it tend to get good reviews, I suppose because it's supposed to cook evenly. For what it's worth, maybe I don't have a very developed palette, but I used it last night for the first time for grilling boneless pork chops and Oscar Meyer weiners, and it grilled a lot the same as how I remembered my Sportable 28159k grilling, which isn't infrared and has more of an "open flame" feel to it (with the Sportable there wasn't even a shield over the burning element, at least with how I put it together).

At any rate, for $50 already put together and with it easily sliding into the backseat to get home, I figured why not. If I end up hating it, I can get a "real" one for <$100 at Sears (and maybe have it assembled & the in-laws could get it home in their van) or get another Sportable 28159k. As it is, so far I'm liking it, to me anyway the food tasted good and cooked quickly as my Sportable did, and it's big enough for us, a family of 4 who sometimes has her sister's 3 kids and her 2 parents over (thus 5 adults and 5 kids), and even that's just here & there, most-times it's only us 4 and we never entertain larger gatherings of 20 or the like, not even on July 4th.

Otherwise:

(1) I'll look, but if someone has a site they have visited and KNOW to be good, I really wish they could just tell me. I hate any sense of "shhhh, don't talk" that may exist in here, we're not in the USSR for pete's sake. Still, I'll look.

(2) I'll see how it goes and one day may return to "normal" gas grills vs infrared.

(3) I will try that from now on, maybe have the grill heating up during this period, although that sucker seems to heat up in a hurry and I hate wasting gas. Again, with baked beans, if I think ahead, I'll just put them in a small slow cooker I have and after they're warm enough turn it to "keep warm," problem solved. Rice is trickier, you have to watch it to keep it from burning and it seems to get cold pretty quickly.

(4) You're a good man, no one around here has ever heard of vinegar-based BBQ sauces, you better believe they rock.

(5) I'll try, but old habits die hard, and once my fingers get to flying, they FLY.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,437,401 times
Rice tricky? 1 part rice to 3 parts water, bring slightly salted water to a rolling boil, add rice, stir, put lid on, turn off gas, 10 minutes later fluff rice, put towel between pot and lid.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Rice tricky? 1 part rice to 3 parts water, bring slightly salted water to a rolling boil, add rice, stir, put lid on, turn off gas, 10 minutes later fluff rice, put towel between pot and lid.
Rice/Sides
I do the "Knoll" rice (previously Lipton), it's like 1 3/4 cups of water, 5-6 minutes. It's easy, but what I mean is that it's also easy to burn if you are scurrying back & forth between the grill outside & the side-dishes cooking inside simultaneously, which apparently was the wrong way to go about this anyway. That's what I meant.

On the other hand, the other sides are easier; baked beans--get to "bubbling" in pot and then turn the heat down to a very low setting (or do the slow cooker approach), salad--it's cold anyway, baked potato--I do those in the microwave and they may get a bit cold but they won't scald/burn etc, potato salad--see salad, cornbread (if I do that, lately I've slacked off of it) is easy to burn or undercook and you have to put the butter on it right away fresh out of the oven for the butter to melt properly, and cornbread is sort of like french fries in terms of tasting much better just minutes after cooking and not reheating very well (to me anyway).

Our Family
It's this sort of "coordinating" that makes it become potentially stressful. I think my brother-in-law had it right--he hosted a large gathering last June and as I recall all of the sides were already done and he spent all his time by his grill doing the meat and chatting with me or whomever. Of course he used a large charcoal grill, so he'll be everyone's hero in here, ha ha. (In fact his grill actually was originally a gas one, he just gutted out the components and burns charcoal where the gas heating elements used to be.) Any large gatherings, he handles, otherwise I tend to host smaller ones that don't involve much of the "extended" family/friends etc, especially since I have a pool (he once did, but no longer does). Also that gathering was one planned quite a bit in advance, ours tend to happen more as quickly thrown-together affairs. I thus find myself thawing out frozen chicken breasts or pork chops and grilling them just minutes later, preparing all the sides simultaneously--basically "booting up" from ground zero pretty quickly.

His father used to try his hand at this, but he always used a very small "hibachi" sized charcoal grill and didn't light up things in advance much, and would thus take an hour to churn out a single hamburger. His attempts at making something of a family gathering for 4th of July always were lame affairs due largely to that. After I started grilling with my Sportable 28159k last year and would turn out good food quickly, and his son (my brother-in-law) started charcoaling and having his stuff together pretty well, his father has pretty much just retired from the job at the tender age of less than 60. In fact I sometimes packed the Sportable 28159k in the car and would grill over there, something like new one can't do (but lately I don't do anyway).

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-18-2014 at 10:21 AM..

Old 07-18-2014, 10:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,896,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That said, my Sportable had a VERY minimal amount of assembly, which I SUCK at. (In fact I became stressed out a bit just assembling that $35 cheap model, imagine how difficult of a time I'd have with a full-sized one). It also cooked quickly and I just "got on" with it (it makes me wish I'd not trashed it and just gotten the adapter for full-sized tanks). While I could buy a full-sized one for cheap and already assembled on Craigslist, I couldn't get it home, as we only own a car with a trunk and something like that would probably require a full-sized truck etc.
You're a man who discovered the wheel and built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn. You can assemble any grill.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:33 AM

179 posts, read 190,314 times
In my experience with gass grills it's all about the BTUs. I've had 3 full size gas grills and only the latest has been really great. Having 4 high output burners means it heats up fast and you can get a really good sear. That means i can seal in the juices, then turn evrything down and cook to finish. Whether it's cast aluminum or SS doesn't matter to me, but I'd but thehighest BTU I can affort. I do like having an enaml top rack to do potatoes and such on. If you have one with "chromed" racks they'll just rust and then you have flakes of rust dropping into your meat until you rip it out.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:26 PM

338 posts, read 344,853 times
100 Dollars get the Weber 23.5 charcoal grill. Just a beautiful, timeless cooking machine. I love that thing...

Old 07-18-2014, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the tips, guys & girls. The next gathering I have, maybe I'll make some amazing ribs.

(And this is the exact one I got: Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Patio Bistro 240 (Black) - Model 14601997 For $50 I am liking it a lot so far.)

{tiny~url-grill-sites}

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-18-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink