U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,764,956 times

Advertisements

Overview
I have never really owned a "real" grill, you know, the full-sized ones that cost at least $100 or more and have 2-4 burners, use full-sized propane tanks, are large enough to require a truck to transport when assembled, and typically have side burners and the like.

The closest I had was a "full-sized" portable gas grill, a Sportable 28159K (apparently made by Smoke Hollow) that is free-standing and larger than those "table-top" grills but like them uses the 16 oz (?) Coleman tubes of propane vs the full-sized one. I actually did very well with that grill and enjoyed it a lot, until after only 1 year of usage it developed issues with mounting the tubes and I trashed it. (I should've bought the thing that lets you use the full-sized 20 lbs propane tanks, but hadn't gotten around to it.)

It was this grill, and unlike the $150 shown my wife (who got it for my birthday) only paid $75 for it: Sportable Propane Gas Grill in Black-28159K-DS at The Home Depot

Today, as a "fill in" until I get something more full-sized, I got a cheap $35 table-top one at WalMart, a "BackYard Grill" GBT1424WRS. It looks like it's a "Blue Rhino" and the same as this one: Blue Rhino - GBT1424WRS-C

Anyway, I cooked with it tonight and it did OKAY but it didn't seem as fast as my Sportable (although I used tin foil on it for awhile, that may have slowed it down, it is 10,000 BTU vs 15,000 for my prior one). Regardless it's meant just as a "fill-in" until I get a full-sized one, and this is where the question lies.

Main Question
My original Sportable typically will go for around $150 apparently (my wife found it for $75 but I've not seen it for that price since, except used as a "Smoke Hollow" used for $107 on Amazon--she did buy it in December), and for that price I see Sears selling a "real" full-sized one, a smaller one with 2 burners (but no side-burners) on sale for $90 (Sears.com), and I've seen plenty of others for around $120 or so. I tend to suspect that it might make more to sense to get something like that than it would to get another Sportable for $150 that's smaller and, if my prior one is any indication, apt to develop tube-mounting problems (or whatever) in a short amount of time.

That said, my Sportable had a VERY minimal amount of assembly, which I SUCK at. (In fact I became stressed out a bit just assembling that $35 cheap model, imagine how difficult of a time I'd have with a full-sized one). It also cooked quickly and I just "got on" with it (it makes me wish I'd not trashed it and just gotten the adapter for full-sized tanks). While I could buy a full-sized one for cheap and already assembled on Craigslist, I couldn't get it home, as we only own a car with a trunk and something like that would probably require a full-sized truck etc.

Beyond that, do I want a grill with full-blown stainless steel cooking grids (or whatever they're called), I figure that the $90 Sears one or my previous Sportable must be something like aluminum or whatever the cheaper stuff is. I figure the full-blown stainless steel ones are more durable, does the resulting food taste better? Also, what are good tips for maintenance with respect to cleaning? I'm not going to be prone to cleaning the grids RIGHT AFTER cooking (you eat, you get full, you want to deal with that sort of thing LATER), but beyond that, what are good maintenance tips?

Again, having never owned a "real" grill other than the Sportable for the past year (I typically used those REAL cheap $25 ones you see), I really don't know this stuff the way "grill master guys" do. I can't afford the really nice $325 ones and won't be grilling for a large audience anyway, my Sportable had plenty enough capacity for what I typically do. However, given that it developed tube-mounting problems in only a year and that it costs as much as the smaller full-sized ones, it makes me wonder if a full-sized one would be a better buy long-term. Also, again, do I really need to go from a $100 to a $300 one if I can afford it, in terms of longevity etc?

Last edited by shyguylh; 07-13-2014 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:33 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,145,474 times
What was the question?

Bacon!

Hope that answered whatever question you had buried in there.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
What was the question?

Bacon!

Hope that answered whatever question you had buried in there.
Ha ha. okay, SHORT VERSION:

Is a "full sized fold-able portable" (Smoke Hollow/Sportable 28159k) for $115-150 a stupid choice when you can get a full-sized 2-burner type for $100, but you're "assembly challenged" and the "full sized portable" is easier to assemble?

LRH

Old 07-13-2014, 11:11 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,145,474 times
The bigger the better when it comes to grilling. More grill surface area is always desirable over less.

None of them are hard to put together. My wife put our last one together as a surprise for my bday.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:26 AM

33,166 posts, read 39,145,829 times
If its about price go on Craiglist and get one for next to nothing, just have to decide on gas or charcoal.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:01 AM

Oh it's going to be gas for sure, I'm not the "Charcoal whisperer," ha ha. Also I like the Craigslist idea myself except I don't have a truck type of vehicle to be able to get a grill home. Otherwise I'd do that, especially since such a grill would already be assembled.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Surely you must know some one with a pickup truck who will be motivated to help out for beer and BBQ
I'm guessing Dallas
dallas appliances classifieds "Gas BBQ" - craigslist

Old 07-15-2014, 05:00 AM

34,642 posts, read 42,792,739 times
Its about BTUs. The grill must be able to get really hot in order to sear meat. Get the highest BTUs you can afford. Also, get a cover for the grill and keep it covered when you aren't using it. Remember that metal will rust and stainless steel won't.
Buy your grill assembled, because they're a bit** to put together.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:01 AM

I've had a few stand up el cheapo gas grilles and they take up a lot of space and they rust fast, as i only use mine once every month or so i bought a Coleman portable gas grill for about $100, when in use it sits on the metal garden table,when not in use it stores away nicely under the kitchen sink.
this one.
http://r1.coleman.com/ProductImages/...004119_500.jpg

Old 07-15-2014, 09:04 AM

11,742 posts, read 16,479,901 times
Bigger = Better!
I hate to admit it but two inexpensive grills later SO ended up with an upper end toy which is in use several days per week even during Texas blizzards.
Do your homework. End of season sales are a good time to take the store manager aside and ask for extra discounts. If you are assembly challenged - how a bout your wife, a buddy, a neighbor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink