Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:03 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,067,462 times

Advertisements

Once you've made your own ice cream at home you will never want to buy store ice cream again. It doesn't take much effort or time but the quality is so terrific. Santa bought me an icecream machine and we really enjoy it especially with fresh fruit like blueberries, strawberries and peaches. i also make chocolate chip cookies and vanilla ice cream for our own ice cream sandwiches. yum ooooo

Old 08-01-2014, 03:23 PM

10 posts, read 9,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
FDA woot woot
FDA is highly overwhelmed and inefficent due to budget cuts.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM

5,457 posts, read 8,174,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakecakecake View Post
Do people actually shop at Wal-Mart for food?
Since their grocery sales are about a quarter of a trillion dollars per year, some people must be shopping for groceries at Walmart.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:16 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,903,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Since their grocery sales are about a quarter of a trillion dollars per year, some people must be shopping for groceries at Walmart.
Yes, they are. And I think every single one of them came through my register today! lol First of the month...oh my! And it'll be that way for the next 10 days, at least. We are always busy but some weeks are just way busier than others. I stopped at Safeway on the way home to pick up a couple things for my mom. Ahhhhhh, quiet and peaceful there!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,473,458 times
Amongst other "ice cream surprises", many aren't aware that the shakes at McDonalds, Burger King, and certain other similar joints do NOT contain any dairy. This is great for those who are lactose intolerant, but many prefer the real deal, and there is a bunch of fake + chemical stuff in them. In fact, I heard they legally cannot call it a "milkshake" due to the lack of dairy.

As for ice cream sandwiches, there's a "hoity toity" ice cream joint that sells pints for $12 each, and the ice cream sandwiches go for $6 each. Expensive, but they use organic ingredients, hand made ice cream, and the usual positives associated with the gourmet stuff of ice creams. For a cheaper fix, Hardees sells hand scoop Oreo ice cream sandwiches for $1 each. I'm sure there's something not as wholesome with their ice cream, and I already know that Oreo has some processed stuff in it, but for $1, can't really argue. And after about an hour outside of the freezer, it does start to melt.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:10 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,654,280 times
Just another reason that I go to Publix, the farmers market, or, on rare occasion, Target.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I love how scientific ingenuity is often misconstrued as unnatural and bad. Kids eat ice cream sandwiches which means they melt and get all over their hands. to solve this problem you raise the melting temperature of the ice cream. All you have to do is add some guar gum, which is made from the guar beans. It makes the ice cream more viscous through galactose sugar ring bonding, thus making it more resistant to temperature. This is a brilliant and natural solution utilizing food chemistry to better a product, and instead of appreciation people label it as fake and unnatural.
That has nothing to do with it. It does not melt due to the cheaper ingredients added to the ice cream; it is all about costs and nothing more, and this is not at all unusual either. I am not at all criticizing this, it is great there are choices on the market for everyone's taste and resources, and who does not enjoy a cheapo, 7-11 type ice cream sandwich every now and then?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Just one more reason why I'm buying less and less processed foods, including ice cream. We don't eat it often but when we do it is because we make our own. That way I know what is in it.

The Creepy Reason WalMart Ice Cream Fails to Follow Laws of Nature | Alternet

It uses tons of gelatin ect to keep it's shape (because of high overrun) so while not glamourous it is not dangerous.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,249,013 times
What I like about buying groceries at Walmart is that they don't try to manipulate me as much. Other stores have lots of loss leaders and gimmicks, to disguise their high prices. Who has time to go through all those digital coupons and other gimmicks, and make sure you meet all the requirements for whatever discount it is? At Walmart, you simply put stuff in your shopping cart, and don't waste any time on anything like buying a certain number of certain items to qualify for certain discounts, etc.

And the fake ice cream that comes in a 1.125 gallon cubical plastic box at Walmart actually tastes better than real ice cream. I'm a big fan of real ice cream, but I like that fake stuff even more.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:07 AM

220 posts, read 330,220 times
While Walmart is the epitome of greedy crony capitalism that has killed small businesses, small farms, and wages in this country, there are bigger things to worry about than plant-based gums & cellulose in their ice cream sandwiches so they don't melt on fingers.

See the movie- Food Inc

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Inc-Robert-Kenner/dp/B002VRZEYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=instant-video&ie=UTF8&qid=1406981645&sr=1-1&keywords=food+inctp://

Now there's a wake up call.

Last edited by RiverLover11; 08-02-2014 at 06:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink