Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 6,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
My husband is orginally from Mich. He has talked about this "ring bologna" for as long as I can remember. He said they had it in Mich. It was often full of garlic but not smoked and it had to be cooked. Anyone here know about it and/or where this kind of ring bologna can be purchased? We did find some but it was smoked and already cooked. I'd love to suprise him with some----but then I sure could use a recipe or two also. Any help with this sure would be great!! :)
Good news... I have lived in NC now for 12 years and I too was raised in Michigan with ring bologna. For years I would go visit Michigan and smuggle packages of ring bologna back to NC by freezing it the night before flying.
Now... thanks to the internet I am able to order online the BEST in ring bologna, vienna hot dogs and even pickled bologna... from a company called buykoegels.com.... they ship fast and it is all koegels... Good luck..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
It is popular in parts of New York, too. Croghan is the brand I remember.

ABQConvict

Old 08-08-2009, 09:32 PM

1,306 posts, read 3,120,658 times
My grandparents in PA always have ring bologna (and lebanon bologna) in their fridge. They get theirs from the local farmer/flea markets. I wish I could find it down here in Texas, but our common bologna is of the Oscar-Meyer kind. It's even getting hard to find Seltzer's lebanon bologna now; all the grocery stores are switching to Boar's Head, which just plain doesn't taste right (has a weird cinnamon flavor).

I might have to try this online site. Mmm mmm.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:16 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I had to laugh to see this old thread still popping up! I guess some things like good old Ring Bologna just never die!! It has been fun reading through the more recent posts here. I don't have much time to wander through the different threads lately so it was a real treat! I have recently found that I can get Harris Teeter to order it for me and now they even have it in the store. It's not as good and doesn't have as much garlic as my DH was use to but it works for us! I am going to look into that mail order though--thanks for all the ideas here.

Old 08-22-2010, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 6,118 times
My friend used to make us a recipe of Hashbrown potatoes with cream and cut up ring bologna and baked it. Does anyone have a recipe like this one using the ring bologna?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorpem View Post
My friend used to make us a recipe of Hashbrown potatoes with cream and cut up ring bologna and baked it. Does anyone have a recipe like this one using the ring bologna?
I would do that, or smoked sausage...scalloped or au gratin...toss in

Old 08-22-2010, 07:44 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,831 times
Thread title made me smile - haven't seen the term "ring bologna" in a LONG time. Most of those not really in the know call it "summer sausage"

Had it all the time growing up, although never cooked, ech. Ate it more or less like a lunchmeat kinda thing.

Old 09-22-2011, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 11,040 times
Pennsylvania Dutch ring baloney is made from pork hearts and beef hearts with salt, sugar, and spices. The best brands I've had are Berks and Hatfield. The worst, ironically enough, is Kutztown. The least genuine is Juniata, which the manufacturer (Kunzler) calls "city ring bologna." It's just plain, ordinary baloney in a ring! The better brands have a semi-"edible" skin, which I often eat because the flavor seeps into it, but I learned not to do that with Kunzler, because their skin is more like wax paper!

I've never heard of anyone cooking it. We always slice it and eat it alone or with cheese or mustard. There was once an IGA that had its own smokehouse, and they sold smoked Berks ring bologna, a real treat!

Old 09-22-2011, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 11,040 times
Liver pudding, which is essentially scrapple without the mush (or "polenta," as it's now fashionable to call it), also usually comes in a ring, but the "skin" is actually a gut casing, which I, amazingly enough, do not eat! (I tried chitterling sausage in Paris and found it to be an adventure I'd just as soon not repeat, even though I've had fried, crispy chitlins and enjoyed them!) It's mostly gray, unlike liverwurst, and it's more flavorful, probably due to the fat it contains.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 AM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,779 times
Can't find "Rind bologna" around here?? I miss the Garlic Bologna=short fat sausage type...had a smoke flavor to it...++
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink