Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 03:31 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,735,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I thought everybody did this?
I can't say I have ever heard anyone in my life do this, that's fine though, do what you wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I just throw my grapes, blueberries, raspberries, cherries,

potatos, peaches,,lettuce,, beans, I throw them all right in the washer with a little bleach

I know ,that one little germ is out to get me

Old 08-10-2014, 05:13 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Ok, I think that there have been ample replies, and some are leaning toward off topic so it's time to close this one. Thanks for your participation everyone!

Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
I too am a bit OCD about washing grapes.
If you put a bunch of grapes in a bowl of water, and feel the water afterward, you can feel the residue. I always wonder what didn't get washed off.
But if you put a bunch of organic grapes in a bowl of water, there is no residue.
So if they're organic, I just swish them in a bowl of water, and them give them a rinse.
If they're not organic, I soak them in a bowl of water, then pick off each grape and rub it while it gets rinsed under running water.
OCD? Yes. But I do this for my husband.

I don't consider it "germophobia." I consider it trying not to ingest pesticides.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:40 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I've always just rinsed my fruits under running water for a bit, nothing more than that. Never had any problems with getting sick.

FDA also recommends as such, and not to use detergents or soaps:

Raw Produce: Selecting and Serving it Safely

Old 08-10-2014, 05:41 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,572,107 times
And p.s., I only buy organic berries.

There's a "Dirty Dozen" list of fruits and veg to avoid eating if they aren't organic. Stonefruits, berries, grapes…

My husband is a cancer survivor. We do what we can.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:03 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
OP here.

Didn't the thread just get closed?...but replies have still wiggled in. Hmmm....

Thanks for the feedback, even the negative ones.

Yes, I have major OCD, including hoarding, and am foolishly not being treated, although tried briefly fifteen years ago. But this new obsession with extra clean produce even puzzles me. But I noted a couple respondents here were almost as obsessive about clean fruit.

My boss offered me some berries recently. No, I didn't (and wouldn't) ask how well he cleaned them. Didn't even ask if they were organic I ate a few. Still alive.

It was interesting to read about the person who sees residue when immersing non-organic fruits in a bowl of water vs. a cleaner bowl of water with organic fruit. Since most people eat non-organic, and appear very healthy, it's probably not cause for concern for most.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:59 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
OP, there is probably some medication that would help you with your problems, including the compulsion to wash everything. I wash berries if I buy them in a store because I don't know who has touched them but if I pick them myself, I pop them right into my mouth. At a friend's house I would assume they rinsed the grapes off first. But none of my friends are dirty so I wouldn't worry.

People in the olde days didn't have the ability to wash everything first and a few did die of food poisoning (mostly spoiled food due to lack of refrigeration) but most of the time people died really young in childhood or they lived to be very old--no matter whether they washed their food or not. If that makes any sense.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
OP here.

Didn't the thread just get closed?...but replies have still wiggled in. Hmmm....

Thanks for the feedback, even the negative ones.

Yes, I have major OCD, including hoarding, and am foolishly not being treated, although tried briefly fifteen years ago. But this new obsession with extra clean produce even puzzles me. But I noted a couple respondents here were almost as obsessive about clean fruit.

My boss offered me some berries recently. No, I didn't (and wouldn't) ask how well he cleaned them. Didn't even ask if they were organic I ate a few. Still alive.

It was interesting to read about the person who sees residue when immersing non-organic fruits in a bowl of water vs. a cleaner bowl of water with organic fruit. Since most people eat non-organic, and appear very healthy, it's probably not cause for concern for most.

here's something to ponder

if you buy too much fruit and it over-ripens, out come the fruit flies

so, if we eat the fruit before it over ripens, are we eating the fruit flies?? and/or the larvae??

Old 08-10-2014, 07:23 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
I dont rinse my fruit or veggies. Youre suppose to rinse canned veggies too but i dont.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:27 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Ok, I think that there have been ample replies, and some are leaning toward off topic so it's time to close this one. Thanks for your participation everyone!
I guess actually closing the thread is helpful which has now been done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink