Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 04:25 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,830,626 times

Advertisements

My mother has a garden and some fruit trees gathered around her yard. So, I gathered some fruit. Good fruit, too. That might've been 2 years ago. These days, not so much. Used to get a lot of vegetables from her garden. She still does.

Last time I killed something for sustenance? 30 years ago. If I recall, it was a duck, passing across, seasoning in our pond. POW! Dead duck. Happy family. We kept chickens. I've killed many a chicken. Many a game fowl/critter. Rabbits. Squirrels. Lots of birds.

I wonder how many today could kill and cook a critter. Or cut up large game, like a deer or elk. I've cut a few deer into portions.

I wonder how many people could grow corn without reading Google.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 08:21 AM

9,264 posts, read 7,407,199 times
I could not have it within myself to kill an animal.. I love my meat, but watching it die first hand and being the one responsible would just kill me inside

Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,736,869 times
November 2001. My best friend's father took me deer hunting at a lease near Freer, TX. Sadly, he passed away the Saturday following Thanksgiving of that year. But I can always hold onto the memories.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:15 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
1 year ago, I stumbled across some wild raspberries, I carried about 2 lbs home in my belly.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:20 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
I gathered some wild bilberries last week, now I have a big bag of them in the freezer. Tried looking for cloudberries but I guess the berry pickers had got them all already. Also tried to catch some fish to eat but they were all too small.

Old 08-10-2014, 02:29 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,761,684 times
Just yesterday - wild raspberries.

Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
wild blueberries..

as a mainer we live off the land.... quite a hearty bunch up here..

this past spring I picked fiddleheads (baby ferns) a veggie

we barter amongst neighbors, we grow different fruits and veggies

we also hunt game, we fish and we are an opportunist... wild turkeys are now quite abundant, about 5 have flown into my car- thumped and died...so I did the humane thing,,,couldn't let it go to waste, so I cut the breast right out of it.... it is very good!!

I hunt deer, moose, bear, and sometimes patridge and bunnies- as a professional butcher, I cut up a lot of critters for friends and relatives- and they often pay me in meats- so my freezer is full..

we have many geese and ducks on our lawn, as we live on the water,,,it would be so easy to pick one off..
but I haven't- its fun to watch them and the little ones

I fish often and eat what I catch..
I grew up on wild fresh seafood,,,my father is a lobsterman,, I ate lobsters every day out on the boat
we dug clams and picked mussels

my grandfather had a farm, and when we visited, my grandmother would ask what would you kids like for dinner??
us kids said chicken,, so she said follow me
she grabbed one of the chickens and cut the head off.... my sister was gagging,,,,grandmother said,,, " you are lucky to be so squeamish" "when I was your age , we sometimes didn't eat more than a potato in a day"

since someone mentioned killing an animal - any animal I kill for consumption dies quickly
I cant say that in nature- ive seen coyotes feeding on a deer while the deer is still alive,,
a painful slow agonizing death, ive seen an eagle take a goose and that thing squawked for 20minutes

humans have been hunter gatherers from the start - I saw a documentary a few weeks ago,, now many scientists believe we were more of a hunter than a gatherer,,as the leap forward for human evolution is attributed to eating meat/proteins

Old 08-10-2014, 04:07 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I gathered more grape tomatoes this afternoon from our one plant. We are now at 234 tomatoes we have brought in the house from this one plant. Unbelievable.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:11 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Just a few minutes ago,
I "hunted" in the pantry
then I "gathered" the ingredients I needed
then I cooked supper.

Seriously, we don't have a garden but our neighbors do and we are free to pick what we want when we want.
Nothing is ready right now though so no hunting or gathering yet.

Old 08-10-2014, 04:35 PM

302 posts, read 368,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
wild blueberries..

as a mainer we live off the land.... quite a hearty bunch up here..

this past spring I picked fiddleheads (baby ferns) a veggie

we barter amongst neighbors, we grow different fruits and veggies

we also hunt game, we fish and we are an opportunist... wild turkeys are now quite abundant, about 5 have flown into my car- thumped and died...so I did the humane thing,,,couldn't let it go to waste, so I cut the breast right out of it.... it is very good!!

Do you live like THIS ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Apqe-yiEfWY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink